Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 ES can't et the tire TPS sensor registered

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2015 ES can't et the tire TPS sensor registered

Hi All,

Been to four places and none of them can get the car TPS sensor on a 2015 Mirage ES pass front registered.
    The last place said to drive the car 1/4 of mile to get the light off and it is still on , Monro.
    I have a appointment at the dealership for $200
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I have a appointment at the dealership for $200...
    $200 is about what my dealer would charge to sell you 1 new OEM sensor, install it, and then program it to your car. That's the reality if you are going to a dealer, but there may be cheaper alternatives.

What’s the back story? Is it one of these scenarios?

1. You just put new tires on...you kept your existing TPMS sensors...and suddenly you have a TPMS problem.
    2. You had to replace one or more TPMS sensors but the shop can’t get them registered to your car.
    3. Everything was fine and then one day the TPMS light on the dash started flashing for one minute when you first started the car.

This series of posts may help you understand your problem a little better:

Mirage TPMS Quick Reference (common problems solutions cloning etc)
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 11-29-2021 at 08:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2015 ES with 71 K miles about around 65 K miles in June 2021 right front passenger tire sensor went bad over a month ago and I assume it was a factor sensor BUT the garage said it was damaged and did not give it to me. My local garage removed it and replaced it with a "Smart" brand sensor BUT could not get it to pair with the car. They called tech support and was told the dealer would have to do it. I have been to two other places try and no go. Monro said they could do it. I have another brand of sensor in there now and have an appointment to see Monro on Tuesday to have anther try to pair it again. There tool does use a ODBII cable to talk to the car. They can see all four sensor with there tool.

Thanks for writing back and taking the hours to write up the how to TPS guide for Mirage.
    Last edited by ken2400; 11-30-2021 at 01:09 AM. Reason: add thank you for the guide

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ken2400 View Post
    ...right front passenger tire sensor went bad
    ...the garage said it was damaged and did not give it to me
    ...My local garage removed it and replaced it with a "Smart" brand sensor BUT could not get it to pair with the car.
    Well...that stinks but it's not hopeless. If you still had the original "damaged" sensor that was in that wheel, you could have cloned a replacement and installed it...and you wouldn't have to mess with pairing it to the car. That's the easiest way to handle a replacement sensor in these cars. Now that you have a new TPMS sensor with a new ID number, you need to get that number into the car's computer...which isn't usually easy with a Mirage.

I've been down this road before (I also have a 2015 ES). Normally Discount Tire is able to do a TPMS re-learn on these cars. But they tried multiple times with their latest tool and it just wouldn't work on my car. I don't know this for sure, but once the TPMS computer in these cars has a flashing TPMS light to indicate a system problem (like a dead sensor), I think it can get so jacked up after a while that only a really good scan tool can clear out the TPMS error codes and perform the relearn.

I ultimately threw in the towel and took my car to the dealer. I had 4 functioning sensors in my car (which I was able to verify with my own TPMS tool), but I just couldn't get the sensors registered no matter what we tried. So the only thing I had to pay the dealer for was for them to hook up their scan tool and to perform the relearn process. That set me back $100.

If you have 4 functioning sensors in your car right now and they are configured properly for a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage, then your dealer should be able to fix this in about 15 minutes. They still may bill you for a full hour. My dealer charges 1 hour any time they have to bust out their scan tool.

There's something about the TPMS system in the Mirage that makes it an absolute pain in the azz to deal with. I'm sure these guys you are working with are saying stuff like "Geez...we've never had this much trouble pairing sensors to a car before." Just understand that servicing the TPMS system on a Mirage is not nearly as straight forward as it is on most other cars.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 11-30-2021 at 01:43 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken2400 View Post
    2015 ES with 71 K miles about around 65 K miles in June 2021 right front passenger tire sensor went bad over a month ago and I assume it was a factor sensor BUT the garage said it was damaged and did not give it to me. My local garage removed it and replaced it with a "Smart" brand sensor BUT could not get it to pair with the car. They called tech support and was told the dealer would have to do it. I have been to two other places try and no go. Monro said they could do it. I have another brand of sensor in there now and have an appointment to see Monro on Tuesday to have anther try to pair it again. There tool does use a ODBII cable to talk to the car. They can see all four sensor with there tool.

Thanks for writing back and taking the hours to write up the how to TPS guide for Mirage.
    I don't blame you for being frustrated. I am also very thankful for all the time & work Top Fuel has put into sharing his knowledge of a Mirage's TPMS.

I don't mean to throw salt into the wound here, but it's a very unfriendly type system to reprogram. A TPMS should not be this difficult to reprogram. You can buy a $25 TPMS kit that does more than the lame factory system. If the government is going to mandate something like this, they should have mandated it to be easy to have/use.

If I could eliminate extra features on a vehicle, TPMS would be the first to go!

I bought an Autel TS408 tool (approximately $122 with free shipping at the time), because my local tire shop guys seemed clueless about cloning. I cloned 8 sensors (4 winter wheels for Mirage & 4 for my Forester) with it right away. I had one tire shop mount 4 sensors & balance my tires for my Mirage, & I had a different shop do my Forester. Each shop owner asked for $30 cash total. I gave them $40 for the set of 4 tires being done. ($10/tire). No slips were made out. I supplied the parts. They just used their equipment to install them and balance the tires. I will admit that I know each shop owner quite well, & they know me quite well.

If a sensor dies, having a tool allows me to figure out which one quite fast. When I change tires in the spring & winter, I can test the sensors before mounting them on the vehicle. If I found a dead one, I could take care of it first. That alone justifies the tool for me. My Forester has 10+ year old factory sensors in one set of wheels. I suspect they will die at some point. When that times comes, I will clone new ones to match the other set of wheels.

If someone uses two set of wheel on a Mirage (or any vehicle), cloned sensors are great. You change wheels and don't have to do anything else to keep the dash light off. Programming a new sensor code into a Mirage shouldn't suck, but it does! I will never have the codes changed in any vehicle that I ever own. Plus, my Mitsubishi/Subaru dealerships are 65+ miles away.

Since the codes are stamped on the sensors, they could be read that way. You must have the sensor, however. I like being able test my sensors before mounting my wheels. For me that justifies the tool. Programming a new sensor costs about $30. Cloning is not really more expensive.

I hate TPMS, but I feel the Autel TS408 is a somewhat economical way of keeping your system working, and it comes with free lifetime updates. When I buy my future 2035 Mirage some day, I should be all set!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Assuming the replacement TPMS sensor is a Smart Sensor ONE and the tool the repair shop uses is a Smart Sensor Pro+ tool with a separate OBD-II module. Once the sensor is programmed to the specific make, model, and year, any TPMS activation tool should pick that up with ease. I just looked up on tpmsnetwork.com and there was no relearn procedure on a Mitsubishi Mirage as would find in a Mitsubishi Lancer. Once you arrive at Monro tomorrow, can you keep us posted on which TPMS tool they're going to use to perform a relearn? I am intrigued since I have the Autel TS508.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    ...there was no relearn procedure on a Mitsubishi Mirage as would find in a Mitsubishi Lancer.
    For whatever reason, the TPMS system in the Mirage doesn't work exactly like other models in the Mitsubishi line-up (especially when it involves a re-learn). I think that's why so many shops have trouble with them.

I have purchased multiple TPMS tools that supposedly worked on a Mirage...but they didn't. When I contacted tech support for help, they admitted that they had developed the tool on a Lancer and just assumed it would also work on a Mirage.

Under perfect conditions (there was no flashing TPMS light or TPMS fault codes in my car), I have seen Discount Tire do a successful relearn on my car with a Bartech Tech400 Pro. But once my car had a flashing TPMS light and TPMS fault codes, nobody could get my car into relearn mode with an aftermarket tool.

The last time I had a problem with my Mirage TPMS, I had 3 or 4 TPMS fault codes set (I was able to read them with my own Bartec Tech400). A couple of these codes weren't even listed in the shop manual?!? This is when I had to take it to the dealer. They had everything fixed in about 15 minutes.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 11-30-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    Assuming the replacement TPMS sensor is a Smart Sensor ONE and the tool the repair shop uses is a Smart Sensor Pro+ tool with a separate OBD-II module. Once the sensor is programmed to the specific make, model, and year, any TPMS activation tool should pick that up with ease. I just looked up on tpmsnetwork.com and there was no relearn procedure on a Mitsubishi Mirage as would find in a Mitsubishi Lancer. Once you arrive at Monro tomorrow, can you keep us posted on which TPMS tool they're going to use to perform a relearn? I am intrigued since I have the Autel TS508.
    My goal is quite simple. I have 16 wheels/tires for my two vehicles (Mirage & Forester). Each vehicle has 4 TPMS codes. I simply use those 4 codes, & an Autel TS408 tool with Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1 sensors allows me to do that.

These are my current Mirage wheels/tires
    Nokian Nordman 7 165/65r14 (14" x 5.5" steel rims) Autel sensors - 98D6E1D4 & 98D7A88B - storage
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 165/65r14 (14" x 5" steel rims) Autel sensors - 98D6E1D4 & 98D7A88B - front axle
    Kumho Solus TA31 165/65r14 (14" x 4.5" steel rims) Factory sensors - 98D6E1AO & 98D6EOFO - rear axle
    Dunlop Enasave (165/65r14 (14" x 4.5" steel rims) Factory sensors - 98D6E1D4 & 98D7A88B - storage

When I replace my Nexen tires with my Nokian snow tires in the next few weeks, I am already all set.

If I replace my worn out Dunlop tires with new winter tires in the future, I will change the codes for my Nokian snow tires with the Autel sensors. That will allow me to use those 4 wheels together for future winters. Whether I use factory or Autel sensors, I can easily make sure the 4 needed codes are mounted on my car. Cloning allows all this to work out with ease!

My Mirage has two factory & two Autel sensors on it. As long as the 4 programmed codes are recognized, the TPMS could care less. I don't like TPMS, but this allows me to switch out tires & deal with it the easiest.
    Last edited by Mark; 11-30-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Monro North Utica NY
    Mechanic named Brad
    Two trips one when Brad was not there and then today Tuesday 11/30/2021
    $106.56

Schrader EZ-Sensor
    Schrader scanner
    AND
    Snap-on scanner

Said he had 5 mins to get the IDs into the computer using ODB2 cable to the scanner
    One of the scanners had a large screen maybe 6" or so only saw it far away.

Thanks for the help.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken2400 For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (11-30-2021),Top_Fuel (11-30-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Good to know. That's exactly what I did two years ago.