Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help choosing between Mirage and Versa Note! (UPDATE: got a Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Please Help choosing between Mirage and Versa Note! (UPDATE: got a Mirage)

Hi all,

I'm in the market to buy a used car and have narrowed down to 2 options: a 2014 Mirage DE or 2014 Versa Note SE. Both have around 60,000 mileage. Mirage DE (completely basic) out-the-door price is $5500 and Note SE (better trim) is $6000. I'm leaning more towards the Note (sorry) because it is roomier and I test drove it once and it was very comfortable (the seats in Mirage don't look as comfortable). But I'm also very interested in the Mirage (I actually like how the Mirage looks better). I like that the Mirage has higher mpg than the Note, and a $500 saving, but I live in Los Angeles and not sure how it can handle frequent hill driving? Plus, I like to take road trip to San Francisco and I'm not sure the Mirage would be able to handle the very steep inclines in San Francisco? I know the Note isn't that much more powerful, but from what I've read, it is more powerful than the Mirage, and more quiet. I haven't test driven a Mirage yet, and this dealership is 50 miles away from me. I would like to make the decision by tomorrow afternoon and I still don't know which car to go with. I haven't had a Mitsubishi or Nissan car before. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    If your buying a manual version, go with the Versa. If your buying an automatic go with the Mirage. They both use the JATCO CVT7 transmission, but the % of owners having their cvt fail prematurely is waaaaaaay higher with the Nissan. It can happen too with the Mirage but way less likely. Just look at Nissan internet forums, the amount of crying about their CVTs failing at 60k miles is legion. Dont be scared about taking the Mirage on hilly roadtrips, I do it all the time, it's just fine. Comfort, I dont know about the Versa but the Mirage seats and seating position isn't the most comfortable. I recommend finding some high end padded seat covers, but comfort is subjective.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    I haven't test driven a Mirage yet, and this dealership is 50 miles away from me. I would like to make the decision by tomorrow afternoon and I still don't know which car to go with. I haven't had a Mitsubishi or Nissan car before. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Hi newtomit. As strange a coincidence, my next door neighbour has a newer Versa note. I haven't driven her car, but she says she's happy with it. My Mirage is smaller than the Note. Smaller with everything, the wheels, the length.. Anyway she likes it like I said, so I'm sure both are good choices! She had a hyundai sedan before.

Mirage is pretty good with hills. I just took my Mirage down and up a steep gravel incline, to a beach I know nearby. I kept my Mirage in 2nd gear and the car grumbles up hills real good no problem. Highway mergers with Notes and Mirages is not their strong suit. This is not a Ferrari F430 but does the job. Give it a good test drive to see if you like that sort of thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd personally go with the Mirage. I drove a few Versas and didn't like them nearly as much. Also, find a wrecked 17+ Mirage and swap the seats and you'll make the car way more comfortable, at least I think so. The DE seats are... bleh.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Nissan had and lost a massive lawsuit in regards to their CVT transmissions, Mitsubishi didnt. That should tell you everything you need to know, if your buying an automatic. I'd look at Honda Fits too, those are the king of subcompacts IMO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @Dirk: That is really good to know. Thank you! Yes, they're both CVT. I didn't know that about Versa CVT. Now it has me wondering why that Versa is being sold at 60000 mileage...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    @Dirk: That is really good to know. Thank you! Yes, they're both CVT. I didn't know that about Versa CVT. Now it has me wondering why that Versa is being sold at 60000 mileage...
    I bought my 2014 DE CVT Mirage a year ago with 45k miles on the clock already. If your going to buy used CVT vehicle you need to detailed maintenance records of the CVT especially. If the fluid was changed out that's an indication of a good previous owner. If I was you I'd buy the Mirage and immediately get the CVT fluid and filter changed out. Your safer doing this with a Mirage than a Versa, if there is no record IMO. There's been a few CVT failures posted on here but they were all way after 100k miles. Go check out how many Versa owners had theirs fail at 40 or 60k miles! You do preventative maintenance on it you can possible hit 200k miles. Fummins, our CVT guru, could provide way better info on this as he maintains a fleet of Mirages going back to 2015 and he's 90% of them on the road between 150k and 200k miles. Listen to him!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

So I've been reading about these lawsuits and confused on how the extended warranty that Nissan is offering works? It says they extendted the tranmission warranty to 84 months / 84,000 miles = 7 years / 84,000 miles. If my vehicle is a 2014 with 60,000 miles, does it mean it's still under the extended warranty?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    So I've been reading about these lawsuits and confused on how the extended warranty that Nissan is offering works? It says they extendted the tranmission warranty to 84 months / 84,000 miles = 7 years / 84,000 miles. If my vehicle is a 2014 with 60,000 miles, does it mean it's still under the extended warranty?
    For subsequent owners? Doubt it but I could be wrong. Your in the same spot I was in. I purchased a used Mirage CVT, almost out of warranty and worrying about it being unreliable. After many consultations by the experts on here, Fummins, Top Fuel, CobraJet, Mark, Foama etc, this has alleviated most of my fears of my Mirage stranding on the side of the road. It never has and this after 35k hard uber miles put on mine. Not one CEL, no issues at all. Bear in mind though Mitsubishi parts are expensive and aftermarket options are limited. Drum breaks are a particular expensive part to replace, but dont feel like you have to go to a Mitsu dealership. Avoid those at all costs if you can.