Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How long do you plan to keep your Mirage and why?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Just keep your receipts for your oil and filter purchases. That is good enough for warranty purposes.

Sorry to multipost but I did not want to multiquote, sometimes the urgency of the message is lost.
    Is this really? Because my cousin will help me with any maintenance that I dont have to bring to a shop.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    OK, just because I might be a P.Eng doesn't mean I know dick about maintaining a car. But I was overhauling engines and trannies (gearboxes, not the humans LOL) since age 12, the same year I started driving. I'd been riding motorbikes since about 9-10 years old. Maintaining a Mirage is easy. All the tools you need can easily store in the back and the worst DIY job, brakes, are not too difficult with help from here.
    I also REALLY do not have the space. The parking spaces in my building are ridiculously tiny.
    But at least I have an assigned spot now. So when I shovel, no one can steal my spot.

My cousin can help me do a lot of work at his place. But that is a fair bit of a drive away. So if something unexpected is needed. Its really inconvenient.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just keep your receipts for your oil and filter purchases. That is good enough for warranty purposes.

Sorry to multipost but I did not want to multiquote, sometimes the urgency of the message is lost.
    I acutally got curious and called Mitsubishi corporate, I was informed that in order to keep my 10 year/100k powertrain warranty valid, The car MUST be certified by an ASE certified shop and that DIY service wouldn't count because you cant actually prove you did the maintenance with the regular purchase receipts of oil and a filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMPG For This Useful Post:

cleadus_fetus (01-21-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    Is this really? Because my cousin will help me with any maintenance that I dont have to bring to a shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    I also REALLY do not have the space. The parking spaces in my building are ridiculously tiny.
    But at least I have an assigned spot now. So when I shovel, no one can steal my spot.

My cousin can help me do a lot of work at his place. But that is a fair bit of a drive away. So if something unexpected is needed. Its really inconvenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMPG View Post
    I acutally got curious and called Mitsubishi corporate, I was informed that in order to keep my 10 year/100k powertrain warranty valid, The car MUST be certified by an ASE certified shop and that DIY service wouldn't count because you cant actually prove you did the maintenance with the regular purchase receipts of oil and a filter.
    First, all the oil sold at retail says it "meets warranty requirements", IOW, you can pour this stuff in yourself knowing if the engine seizes the oil you poured in was not at fault. Also, there's no disclaimer the oil must be poured in by a certified shop!

I'm not 100% certain buy I "think" the FTC ruled on this years ago and said basic maintenance, oil, filters, air filters, etc. could be done by laymen without nullifying the factory warranty, as long as the laymen could provide proof of buying the materials for the job and somehow recording what was done. I have to look around for that ruling. Mitsubishi/Porsche/Hummer et al. can insist you let their techs do all the work but the FTC said otherwise.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I guess I personally voided hundreds, possibly thousands of people's warranties over the last 25 or so years. not....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    First, all the oil sold at retail says it "meets warranty requirements", IOW, you can pour this stuff in yourself knowing if the engine seizes the oil you poured in was not at fault. Also, there's no disclaimer the oil must be poured in by a certified shop!

I'm not 100% certain buy I "think" the FTC ruled on this years ago and said basic maintenance, oil, filters, air filters, etc. could be done by laymen without nullifying the factory warranty, as long as the laymen could provide proof of buying the materials for the job and somehow recording what was done. I have to look around for that ruling. Mitsubishi/Porsche/Hummer et al. can insist you let their techs do all the work but the FTC said otherwise.
    It's not so much about who does the service it's proving whether or not you did it that's the problem. You can buy the oil and filter but there's no guarantee you changed it on time on the 7500 mile requirement, I feel like I'd have to video the oil change every time I did one just prove it was done properly and on time if maintenance was ever questioned for a repair. I already save all of my oil change receipts so as long as I can guarantee that a dealer will not deny a repair I would start doing my own oil changes next month lol, Paying about a 100 bucks an oil change Every 7500 miles which for me is about every 3.5 months sucks.
    Last edited by MrMPG; 01-22-2023 at 12:34 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I guess I personally voided hundreds, possibly thousands of people's warranties over the last 25 or so years. not....
    I don't know how you sleep at night knowing that!???

I like my Mirage a lot. Mitsubishi as a company sucks!

Stories of awesome customer service are rare on this forum! I had to buy my Mirage from a dealership 4 hours away to save $3,800 on a brand new Mirage. You shouldn't have to do that!

I think Mitsubishi vehicles are bound to become all Nissan products eventually. I hope that I am wrong, however!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-23-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't know how you sleep at night knowing that!???

I like my Mirage a lot. Mitsubishi as a company sucks!

Stories of awesome customer service are rare on this forum! I had to buy my Mirage from a dealership 4 hours away to save $3,800 on a brand new Mirage. You shouldn't have to do that!

I think Mitsubishi vehicles are bound to become all Nissan products eventually. I hope that I am wrong, however!
    I thought Nissan would absorb them too, then I realized that Mitsubishi Industries has no public face these days save for the cars.

here's a couple links to sites confirming what I said, you CAN change your own oil Changing/adding fall under the same umbrella.
    https://automotivewidget.com/can-i-d...keep-warranty/

https://carhampt.com/can-you-use-an-...cars-warranty/

It's covered under the Magnusson-Moss act which details how warranties must work, now if Mits says in the owners manual that DIY oil changes will void the warranty, I think you best let a shop do it. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing in the Mits user manual that says this. Corporate can't just terms they like after the fact of the sale. I've never received notice DIY work voids any part of my warranty.

I change my oil, swap my tires, do my brakes all without fear of any part of my warranty being voided. I keep all the paperwork and a working electronic log of service.

Here's a HUGE caveat. If you use a lube shop Mits corporate can claim they use substandard filters or incorrect spec oil and VOID your warranty and you will have ZERO recourse in this case.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 01-22-2023 at 06:23 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMPG View Post
    I acutally got curious and called Mitsubishi corporate
    That's where you went wrong, call the U.S. corporate side. The U.S. side doesn't know DICK. All that info they told you is not true. You can do it yourself. But at least you didn't call a dealer. They are wrong about EVERYTHING. Just treat them like the opposite of what they say is correct and you're better off.

The Magnusson-Moss Act is correct. As long as you can prove you used the correct fluids / maintenance items and did it within the manual's maintenance timing guidelines you will be fine. Of course, depending the dealer, if it came down to it, you may have to get a lawyer involved. The chances of that are slim so I wouldn't be concerned about it. And even if you did the maintenance at the dealership, they'd probably STILL try to deny warranty. Dealers (all) are just that slimy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That's where you went wrong, call the U.S. corporate side. The U.S. side doesn't know DICK. All that info they told you is not true. You can do it yourself. But at least you didn't call a dealer. They are wrong about EVERYTHING. Just treat them like the opposite of what they say is correct and you're better off.

The Magnusson-Moss Act is correct. As long as you can prove you used the correct fluids / maintenance items and did it within the manual's maintenance timing guidelines you will be fine. Of course, depending the dealer, if it came down to it, you may have to get a lawyer involved. The chances of that are slim so I wouldn't be concerned about it. And even if you did the maintenance at the dealership, they'd probably STILL try to deny warranty. Dealers (all) are just that slimy.
    Yep im just gonna do it myself then, Look at these price's lol, this shop does great work with cameras you can watch under the car, not like a jiffy lube. But you pay for it. Name:  IMG_20221102_1547249491.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  92.0 KB