Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How long do you plan to keep your Mirage and why?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey, at least you know your power steering fluid is full, Nice of them to check it for you

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMPG View Post
    Yep im just gonna do it myself then, Look at these price's lol, this shop does great work with cameras you can watch under the car, not like a jiffy lube. But you pay for it. Attachment 24668

Even though a Mirage only takes 3 quarts of oil, Amsoil is quite expensive. I don't think their charge is unreasonable in the least. The local small town mechanic that services our driving school cars charges $60 for a full synthetic oil change. Granted it may be more like 4-5 quarts of oil per car, but I'm quite certain he uses a cheap Mobil 1 product. A 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 Full synthetic may run about $30.

What will 3 quarts of 0W-20 Amsoil cost you? I ask, because I don't know? It doesn't look cheap ($33.50/quart on Amazon) when I look briefly for it. If that is the price, 3-quarts of oil alone would cost more than $100. Plus, you have the cost of a decent oil filter to add to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Amsoil-ASMQT-...4526718&sr=8-2

Plus, they gave you a free cash wash!

Their charge is quite reasonable in my opinion for an Amsoil change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Even though a Mirage only takes 3 quarts of oil, Amsoil is quite expensive. I don't think their charge is unreasonable in the least. The local small town mechanic that services our driving school cars charges $60 for a full synthetic oil change. Granted it may be more like 4-5 quarts of oil per car, but I'm quite certain he uses a cheap Mobil 1 product. A 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 Full synthetic may run about $30.

What will 3 quarts of 0W-20 Amsoil cost you? I ask, because I don't know? It doesn't look cheap ($33.50/quart on Amazon) when I look briefly for it. If that is the price, 3-quarts of oil alone would cost more than $100. Plus, you have the cost of a decent oil filter to add to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Amsoil-ASMQT-...4526718&sr=8-2

Plus, they gave you a free cash wash!

Their charge is quite reasonable in my opinion for an Amsoil change.
    Its not the worst tbh, But they use the cheapest OE Amsoil, the stuff thats $33 a quart is the signature series which is a lot better then the cheaper versions (OE is probably more like$12-$15 a quart), Signature line is rated for 25,000 miles or up to 2 years, whichever comes 1st, The OE line is meant for factory 7,500-8,000 mile oil changes and not for extended drain intervals. Also if you get an oil change with cheaper oil (Penzoil Ultra Platinum) its still about $75 on total price which is a bit high since a 5 quart jug of that is around $30 on amazon and $10-$15 for a filter.
    Last edited by MrMPG; 01-24-2023 at 01:56 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMPG View Post
    Its not the worst tbh, But they use the cheapest OE Amsoil, the stuff thats $33 a quart is the signature series which is a lot better then the cheaper versions (OE is probably more like$12-$15 a quart), Signature line is rated for 25,000 miles or up to 2 years, whichever comes 1st, The OE line is meant for factory 7,500-8,000 mile oil changes and not for extended drain intervals. Also if you get an oil change with cheaper oil (Penzoil Ultra Platinum) its still about $75 on total price which is a bit high since a 5 quart jug of that is around $30 on amazon and $10-$15 for a filter.
    I have no doubt they have cheaper stuff, but I didn't find it. I also didn't look that hard.

I am like the Project Farm guy. Even though Amsoil & Pennzoil Ultra Platinum made it to the championship round (see below for anyone interested). Skipping to the end of the clip shows a summary of all the oils in the competition. I am going to use more affordable Super Tech or Amazon Basic Full Synthetic oil in my Mirage. He does the same for his vehicles, but the Amsoil is surely a great oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWuKvnCq1js

I like doing 5,000 mile oil changes, & I think any full synthetic oil will do the job. Personally, I am not a fan of 0W-20 oil, but that's a personal choice. I have gone back to 5W-30 full synthetic oil in my vehicles. I think 0W-20 is an economy push not based on the best engine protection. It's not taboo to use other weight oils in Mirage markets elsewhere.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    I am going to use more affordable Super Tech or Amazon Basic Full Synthetic oil in my Mirage..
    I'm going to use Gudger Tech SortaFull Synthetic in my Mirage. Whatever weight is on discount. At 7,500 miles or whenever I get around to it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Gotta say I'm surprised oil in the US $33/quart. I just looked and it's $35/qt. here. I figure any name brand that meets all the standards is probably OK, I like Mobil 1 having used it a fair bit without any incidents. It's also available for a reasonable price on sale up here, only a couple $ more than house brands per jug.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 8 year Mirage anniversary will be in 2 months. Feelsgoodmane.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Gotta say I'm surprised oil in the US $33/quart. I just looked and it's $35/qt. here. I figure any name brand that meets all the standards is probably OK, I like Mobil 1 having used it a fair bit without any incidents. It's also available for a reasonable price on sale up here, only a couple $ more than house brands per jug.
    When I bought my Forester 10 years ago, 0W-20 oil was not as common on the self @ Walmart. Thus, I started out with Mobil 1. As time went on, numerous brands of 0W-20 appeared.

Since Steve's Cheap Plastic car (sold it after 300,000+ miles) did well with 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles, I am somewhat convinced a Mirage will do just as well or better with a full synthetic oil changed at the same mileage interval.

Mobil 1 began annoying me when they started releasing so many different types of 0W-20 oil. I realize this should be seen as a positive thing, but now most everyone is doing the same.

If someone sent you to the store to buy a 5-quart jug of 0W-20 Pennzoil, do you come home with their Gold Synthetic Blend, Full Synthetic, Platinum Full Synthetic, Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic, Extended Care Full Synthetic, Stop/Go Protection Full Synthetic, & whatever else they may have on the market now.

Even Super Tech has three choices (Full Synthetic, High Mileage Full Synthetic, & Advanced Full Synthetic). In my mind, that's plenty.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As time went on........do you come home with their Gold Synthetic Blend, Full Synthetic, Platinum Full Synthetic, Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic, Extended Care Full Synthetic, Stop/Go Protection Full Synthetic, & whatever else they may have
    Your sentence really shows how utterly bizarre it has become. I personally wouldn't be surprised if there were more than 25 cents worth of additive differences among them.

I guess a chemist in the petro world could determine the cost of the additives used in conventional oils. I don't know if that can be calculated for 100% synthetic oil as the processes to make synthetic may vary wildly from brand to brand.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I've promised my 2017 to my kid who will be driving in 3 short years. She vacillates between excited over driving to save the planet and walk. I suspect when she starts socializing a lot more, especially when she has a part time job she'll see the benefit of NOT standing in the open, in the pouring rain, waiting for transit. She'll understand should I sell the Mirage as long as I'm good to get her a car if she chooses to drive.

What I can't see so much is keeping my 2017 and fobbing something else on her if she drives. If I get a new 2023 and kick it she will end up with a fairly new car and can do what she chooses. I worry if she gets my 2017 and I buy it the Mirage will become a run down wreck as her nor her Mom have any car skills.

Jesus, my ex had a 115,000KM Grand Caravan, 2011, just getting broken in and she literally ran it into the ground. We had agreed when we split I'd get the Caravan for wholesale value when she was done with it but.....in the 7 years since I left the Caravan was never washed, not once, and I doubt the oil was ever changed. It started acting up, likely something minor and she believed the shop telling her it needed thousands. So she gave it to them. She is an idiot that way and it's one of the reasons I'm no longer with her. I can't abide people with zero common sense. OH, early on she decided to use our then 3 year old Caravan as a snowplow on semi frozen snow at our driveway entrance and ripped the lower bumper cover off from side to side. SMH. I was going to edit all this out but I guess it's cathartic to leave it. I'm sure we've all been very frustrated with others and vehicles.

Back on topic. If, big if, I can sell my 2017 for $11K and get the incentives for the 2023 ES 5 MT and get the blue one OTD for $15k or less I can drop $4K cash without too much hurt. House is paid, I don't spend a lot else, so. I debated driving the 2014 but I can likely sell it for $4-5K. It's primo except for a tiny spot on the LR I can easily fix. It's an SE 5 MT with every 2014 feature. Granted, selling the 2014 will be a spring venture but I guess I'm in no hurry. That leaves my Saturn. I took a really good objective look at it. Zero rust where Vues are affected which are the mounts on either side of the engine, the shock towers and lower front subframe. I know it should have brakes all around, new lines, they are 17 years old and an alternator. Probably a couple of days work for me in the later spring. Viola, a decent size vehicle that gets me 36-38 mpg on the hiway. Not bad for a giant clunk. It is really nice though.

I suppose if my kid really takes to driving I could give her the 2023 but I cringe a bit. She's likely to have some minor impacts and better on something older than a 3 yr. old car.

I think the Mirage's lack of power and speed may help your daughter learn to drive. If she hits something she will not be going as fast. You can also show her how much RPMs can affect gas mileage, if she ends up thinking about it a lot and actively checking the tach she will inadvertently go a little slower since most teens don't have much money to throw around on gas. It's also easy to park. Good teenager car imo. In your situation I would give her the car on the condition that she spends x amount of time learning maintenance with you or watching videos with you about how cars work and how to not destroy them. Have her do an oil change, check the air filter, take the airbox off to see the top of the engine, jack it up and shake the wheels to check ball joints and tie rods, pluck the belt to make sure it is tight. Get her an $8 set of sockets with a ratchet from Harbor Freight to put by the spare tire and color the 10 mm one. If somebody would have showed me that stuff 12 years ago I'd have made way better decisions about my cars. A few videos from the channel Just Rolled In on Youtube might give you the opportunity to share a laugh and prompt her to ask questions about cases of atrocious car negligence/botched repairs. If she sees what happens when you put cooking oil in a car or don't change oil on a $150k sports car for 40,000 miles, she'll be entertained and remember why it is important!

A bit of a personal story, I knew a girl right after high school who didn't get a strut fixed when it went bad. She didn't see a sign saying a 90 degree curve was coming up and we launched off the banked curve going about 35-40 mph. When the car landed I got a compression fracture in my spine because I was on the side with the bad strut. It took me 5 years to feel normal again after that and I lost my job. Women need to know WHY things have to get repaired and nobody bothers to really explain things to us. All I've ever been told by people is basically "Needs a new x. Trust me bro."

Another story: I once rode with a girl in high school that didn't know how to use defrost to get fog off her windshield by changing the blend door setting. The guy in the passenger seat was in his early 20s and didn't know either. I was kind of an a-hole about it but I imagine they both know now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Princess_Bishi For This Useful Post:

Wil B (01-25-2023)