Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mirage will carry on with minor changes (in U.S. / Canada)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I'm one of the weird ones here I guess but I prefer automatic climate control. It's nice because you set a number and then leave it alone. With my taxi Corolla I'm always turning the knobs and it annoys me to have to do that especially when I'm in that car for like 14 hours straight.
    I'm pretty sure you're probably more the norm on that. I used A/C for the first time this year (2-hour drive) with my Mirage yesterday. Automatic climate controls are not a deal breaker for me. I just spent a good chunk of time traveling in my brother's 2018 GMC Sierra pickup truck. Dual climate controls and heated seats don't impress me, but I know those things are important to others.

If I had my pick of any 2014-20 Mirage brand new, I would pick the 2019 ES (manual), because of cruise being added as standard equipment this year. Since a manual trumps everything for me, I really don't have much interest in the other trim levels.

I actually had this discussion with the general manager (now owner) of White Bear Mitsubishi back in 2017. We both agreed, the Mirage being sold for $9,000 brand new wasn't going to continue in the future. Added features were going to bring the price up, & that has basically happened. Having said that, Inuvik shared $11,000 OTD Mirages were being sold in his area. Given what is on the 2019 ES (manual), I feel that is one heck of a deal!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Really happy to see things continue on relatively unchanged. I am hoping for a bigger and bigger installed base for the aftermarket to target. My fear was a plant form switch with REN/NIS that limited the parts compatibility

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emdeplam View Post
    Really happy to see things continue on relatively unchanged. I am hoping for a bigger and bigger installed base for the aftermarket to target. My fear was a plant form switch with REN/NIS that limited the parts compatibility
    The charm or appeal of the Mirage is lost in the marketing of the vehicle. Car critics tend to test the top trim level of vehicles & leave out the sales incentives. If I was comparing a full-priced Mirage GT to something like a Honda Fit (130 hp), I would be drawn to the Honda Fit, too. Car critics tend to miss the most important points.

I was in that camp at one time. Why would I buy a Mitsubishi if they are same price as a Honda or Toyota? Honda/Toyota dealerships in my area have been established for decades. Their reputations are solid. The local 2-3 year old Mirage dealership was known as a crummy used car dealership. Why would I even bother to go there?

I like my quirky little Mirage. If it was more like the Yaris or Fit, i would own one of those instead! If more people knew these cars can be had way under window sticker, I think more people would take notice. Sadly, car companies don't seem to police the shady practices of some of their dealerships either.

I am glad the Mirage is sticking around as is.

"The Mitsubishi Mirage is the Worst New Car You Can Buy in America" - by Doug DeMuro

Doug - It's fun to see the Mirage still standing while other small cars around it drop out of the market!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Ranny (08-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    No surprise here at all that the '20 will be a hold-over. The current Mirage is selling, it is passing emissions and safety standards, and we would have more info by now on a different platform for '20 if that were happening.

Weird that they are going BACK to standard automatic climate control, but honestly I think nearly every decision Mitsubishi makes is weird.

REALLY wish Mitsubishi would offer a model...any model...with a manual transmission and FAST key, like I bought in '15. Please, please, please, Mitsubishi! Don't make me choose one or the other!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    This all makes me wonder what kind of market research or feedback Mitsubishi uses for these decisions. I have to think (hope?) that dealers would have the biggest say in the matter, as they are the ones negotiating with the buyers.

Regarding the automatic climate controls, I don't think it's weird to like and appreciate something that works well and is reliable. Like it or not, there are many aspects of our lives that are going in that direction and have been for quite some time.

At least with this announcement we can set aside the rumor mill hype and enjoy another year of production.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Regarding the automatic climate controls, I don't think it's weird to like and appreciate something that works well and is reliable. Like it or not, there are many aspects of our lives that are going in that direction and have been for quite some time.
    I like automatic climate control as well. What I think is weird is the decision by Mitsubishi to have them as standard in '14 and '15, optional in '17, 18, and '19, then standard again for '20.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I absolutely hate automatic climate control; even more than an AT. I don't like a car choosing for me when to run the a.c. compressor. If I end up with it, I'll likely leave it off if that's allowed. The auto systems I've seen or used suck. The worst part is the system not allowing a recirc choice. I usually turn off the compressor on inclines and don't use a.c. for added torque/hp up a hill, but I like the recirc to stay on and keep recirculating the cool air in the cabin while the compressor is off. I also don't use a.c. much in the city unless I have a rider, because most Americans expect that running a.c. full blast all summer w/o touching the controls is okay for longevity and economy and power sapping the power train is okay too. And it's a strange phenomenon thst even though many people may have been out in 100 degree temps for hours, they suddenly can't take riding in a car above 70 degrees I'm against all of it. The whole wimpiness of it, as much as heated and cooled seats. Give me a break. Give me a temp knob, a fan speed knob, a recirc/outside air knob or button, and let me decide how to run my climate control. I'll be shopping for a 2017 SE so as to get cruise combined with a 5- speed or a 2019, as 2018s did not permit cruise in combination with a 5 speed, but maybe the SE has that stupid auto air too. My commute is 59 miles, State highways and one, small town, 45- 65 mph speed limits. A cheap Mirage is the number one contender for value for my needs by a long shot I think. It was rumored that Nisssn/Renault would nix the Mirage, so this is good news.

My dream car is a Mirage hatch with a rear seat delete option for hundreds less, but keep at least one rear door. Put the car under 2,000 pounds. I've got a Fiat 500 with 2 super heavy doors and rear seats, and the space in the rear seat area is hard to use without rear doors; and would trade seats for a rear area access door in that car. I also know that no one allows this combination except for a couple of mid size work trucks, i.e. Ford Ranger and don't expect it in any car but it'd be perfect for me and the wife. FYI: the Ranger rear seat delete option saves only $250; not hardly worth choosing it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Every car I've driven with automatic climate control lets you manually override basically everything besides the exact position of the blend door. If you press AUTO it will do everything by itself but as you change the fan, position, a/c, and recirc settings it will keep whatever you set as you set it and continue to do the other stuff by itself.

My Avalon, Outlander Sport, and Corolla hatchback all operate that way.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Every car I've driven with automatic climate control lets you manually override basically everything besides the exact position of the blend door. If you press AUTO it will do everything by itself but as you change the fan, position, a/c, and recirc settings it will keep whatever you set as you set it and continue to do the other stuff by itself.

My Avalon, Outlander Sport, and Corolla hatchback all operate that way.
    Yeah, that's correct on the Mirage as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Yeah, that's correct on the Mirage as well.
    Here in Hotlanta I never use the auto feature, I just leave it at 70 degrees with 2 bars showing for the fan. Cools my cabin just fine, isnt taxing at all on my engine, and circulates nicely.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Pryme (07-04-2019)