Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Swapping gauge cluster

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm installing a round led dash clock where the push start button would normally be and need to tap the wire that illuminates the gauge pod at night, it looks to be easy enough to find at the back of the cluster.

While I'm in there I want to open the pod to add a surface mount led on the pcb for the cruise control, as mine is missing or defective, ( I added my own oem cruise control) has anyone on this forum ever opened one of these pods?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Are you talking about opening up the speedo cluster? I haven't torn apart a Mirage one. How did you add your own cruise?Daox kit, buy the actual switches and clock spring(if needed) or? I kinda doubt the cruise light would be missing or burnt out in the cluster.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Are you talking about opening up the speedo cluster? I haven't torn apart a Mirage one. How did you add your own cruise?Daox kit, buy the actual switches and clock spring(if needed) or? I kinda doubt the cruise light would be missing or burnt out in the cluster.
    Yes, the cluster. I bought the oem sterring wheel switch & a mutIII clone to change the etacs settings. All went well....you can't tell it from a factory C Control except for the fact that the steering wheel isn't leather wrapped and the indicator light for the C Control doesn't function.

I agree that the led is likely factory installed. It's probably something I did or didn't do during the reflash procedure but since I had the dash apart anyway I thought I'd take a look inside the pod to verify it's existence.If it's not there I have some SMD's that may fit.
    I think the Mirage owners in Malaysia/Thailand or Indonesia had issues with their pods lacking the led. Mind you I think they were also lacking the clocksprings & connectors/plugs too.
    Last edited by strawboss; 09-15-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added Thailand

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I found time to pull the instrument cluster and removed the phillips head screw that holds it in at the top. It doesn't come free(easily anyway) at the bottom.
    I don't want to snap some plastic retainer if I'm overlooking something, any advice?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's out. After googling images of the pod I found one that showed 2 friction tabs/plungers at the back near the bottom.
    Got my old creaky fingers to pull hard enough and it popped out!
    So just the single screw for the whole assembly. I wouldn't have thought that....

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I got to the point in disassembly where I can see the led is missing. Huh. I would've thought for sure the clusters would all be mfg'd with the full complement of leds just to simplify things.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-16-2019)

Sorry, just got to reading this now. Just gotta tear it outta there.
    And wow, that's surprising they cheaped out and didn't put an led in there?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry, just got to reading this now. Just gotta tear it outta there.
    And wow, that's surprising they cheaped out and didn't put an led in there?
    No worries. Surprisingly enough pulling the speedo needle off proved to be the most aggravating part so far.
    Using spoons or a fork wouldn't have worked as the only fulcrum was a molded flange next to the lcd display, it would've snapped given the force needed to unseat the needle.

I made a mini pry bar with a notch, the needle flew across the room!Name:  miragespeedo2.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  74.9 KB
    Name:  miragespeedo1.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  75.3 KB
    Oh, and there was precious little room underneath the needle using the spoon/fork method.
    Last edited by strawboss; 09-16-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I soldered an led for the CC in and while I was in there replaced the dim turn signal leds for some brighter ones and all is good except the indicator led for the CC isn't working.Now I'm certain that I didn't do something exactly right when I reflashed the etacs to get CC as it has an led in there now.

Oh well, at least the TS indicators are bright enough now....opening the cluster was a one shot deal. I ran a excellent chance of damaging the pcb and the lcd display as these weren't meant to be taken apart, at least not to the extent that I did...
    Last edited by strawboss; 09-17-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    I soldered an led for the CC in and while I was in there replaced the dim turn signal leds for some brighter ones and all is good except the indicator led for the CC isn't working.Now I'm certain that I didn't do something exactly right when I reflashed the etacs to get CC as it has an led in there now.

Oh well, at least the TS indicators are bright enough now....opening the cluster was a one shot deal. I ran a excellent chance of damaging the pcb and the lcd display as these weren't meant to be taken apart, at least not to the extent that I did...
    That's an impressive bit of work. Any pictures of the disassembled cluster?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)