Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hi everyone

I've been browsing this forum for some time, and finally figured I'd create an account.

I purchased a new 2018 Mirage ES, manual transmission, last November. I live in Minnesota, work in the IT department of a Fortune 100 company, and usually commute 65-70 miles in the Twin Cities area. So far, I'm up to around 23,000 trouble free miles and counting. I usually find myself averaging 46-47 mpg, hand calculated at the pump. Only one tank was under 40 mpg so far, and that was in -30f weather last winter.

The more I drive this car, the more difficult it is to understand why so many don't see it's appeal. It handled well in last year's winter, and I genuinely can't find anything to complain about. Even hauled a 55 inch tv inside the car once, as well as utilizing the car for numerous trips to Hom Depot and Menards.

I realize plenty of people don't see it this way, but from the perspective of reliable transportation where I can't lose an arm and a leg in value (due to low purchase price), there's nothing else I'd rather be driving for my commute. My wife has a 3rd row suv, so we have everything covered for the occasional tasks that are too hefty for the Mirage.

Looking forward to continuing to enjoy the minimal costs of this vehicle.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aseverin64 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-18-2019),MetroMPG (10-22-2019)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the site! Got pics of the car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello aseverin64 and welcome to the forum. Great first post.

Was the forum influential in your decision to get one?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

aseverin64 (10-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No pictures on my phone (at work right now). Will have to upload some later.

The forum helped finalize the decision. I was leaning towards the Mirage already, but once I started reading through here and observed the lack of mechanical complaints, I was pretty much locked in. Especially after perusing threads on the high mileage Mirages.

My last car was a 2000 Saturn LS2 with unknown mileage (bad odometer). Not afraid of high mileage/older cars, so I was looking forward to finding something I can keep for a very long time, and maintain on my own.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aseverin64 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome aboard! Glad to hear you're enjoying your Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

aseverin64 (10-18-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aseverin64 View Post
    The more I drive this car, the more difficult it is to understand why so many don't see it's appeal. It handled well in last year's winter, and I genuinely can't find anything to complain about. I realize plenty of people don't see it this way, but from the perspective of reliable transportation where I can't lose an arm and a leg in value (due to low purchase price), there's nothing else I'd rather be driving for my commute.

Looking forward to continuing to enjoy the minimal costs of this vehicle.
    If what they say about the average person having an IQ slightly higher than a rock is true, then it's no wonder the Mirage is overlooked. It takes more than two functioning brain cells to conclude that cars are not investments, but massive money sinkholes, and the Mirage is hands down unbeatable for quality affordable driving.

If having a really showy car is your thing there are plenty of examples here of Mirages that are killer looking, absolute gorgeous cars that I'd be proud to drive anywhere.

The absolute most I can lose on my '17 is what I paid for it, about $12k OTD. That would assume the car wasn't running or capable of running. I could easily lose that same $12k in just ONE year if I bought myself a Lexus or Acura or something similar.

There's so much more I could do with $12K than to watch it disappear into thin air simply because I had to have a new, flashy car.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

aseverin64 (10-18-2019),inuvik (10-18-2019),MetroMPG (10-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site! It's great to hear your Mirage is being enjoyed.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

aseverin64 (10-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wallythacker, I'm loving that response. This is precisely how I view my vehicles. I have far more important places to utilize my money (My wife and I have a house, and a 5 year old son. Plenty to think about as far as $ right there).

One of the friends who can't wrap their head around why I love the Mirage, bought a $40k Ford Fusion, and almost immediately lost more in value than what my car was worth new. They're now considering trading up to a larger SUV, with the Fusion being only a few years old.

I ended up out the door @ $11,500. Looking forward to tracking cost/year or cost/mile at some point here.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aseverin64 For This Useful Post:

craigq (10-19-2019),Fummins (10-18-2019),inuvik (10-18-2019),MetroMPG (10-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aseverin64 View Post
    Wallythacker, I'm loving that response. This is precisely how I view my vehicles. I have far more important places to utilize my money (My wife and I have a house, and a 5 year old son. Plenty to think about as far as $ right there).

One of the friends who can't wrap their head around why I love the Mirage, bought a $40k Ford Fusion, and almost immediately lost more in value than what my car was worth new. They're now considering trading up to a larger SUV, with the Fusion being only a few years old.

I ended up out the door @ $11,500. Looking forward to tracking cost/year or cost/mile at some point here.
    Sadly, many car critics test drive the loaded version of vehicles, & they fail to point out that these cars can be had for $11,500 OTD.

Your story is one I can relate to very much, even though I am at a very different stage of my life. Just prior to my two daughters being born, we saved enough money to make a down payment on our first house. We also bought two practical cars that we could afford. At that time, those two cars were a 1989 Plymouth Colt wagon & a 1990 Ford Festiva. Both cars were paid off before my first daughter was born in August of 1990. Those two cars served us very well. I earned two graduate degrees while driving that cheap ($5,300 brand new) Ford Festiva for 14 years. No car payments & other simple choices allowed my wife to be an at-home mom until both daughters were in school. My daughters excelled in school, college, & are happily married now.

I just choose to drive a Mirage now, because it's very affordable, reliable, and extremely economical. It takes care of 80-90% of my driving needs. My 2011 Subaru Forester takes care of those other times. Replacing AWD vehicles has become expensive. My Mirage is extending the life of my Forester, & I don't see myself replacing either vehicle any time soon.

There a lots of good reasons to like the Mirage! This forum helped me realize that, too!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-19-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I just choose to drive a Mirage now, because it's very affordable, reliable, and extremely economical. It takes care of 80-90% of my driving needs. My 2011 Subaru Forester takes care of those other times.
    It works different at your side of the ocean. I just checked, the ownership of a 2011 Subaru Forester would cost me €852 a year for roadtax only. €1644 when it's a diesel. Mandatory insurance would be €267. (Liability only). If I didn't have >15 years of damage-free driving, that could be up to €650.

Just too much to only own a car. I can better hire one when I need something bigger than my Space Star.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)