Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The fleet grows...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I should clarify my post. Ares, forget about a minivan. However, I'd take a minivan over ANY SUV, any day. However, you already have an SUV, so ... you'd just take a bath to trade to a minivan at this point. I will add, a minivan is a helluva lot more useful / valuable than an SUV (in my book). But women have to have their images upheld. Why an SUV does that is beyond me.

I had a 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring from March 2006 through about 2018. I bought it 11 months after my 3rd son was born. So we had it until my oldest was 17 and pretty much out there driving himself around. It was a helluva vehicle. There was nothing that van couldn't do. The ride was better than an SUV, higher mpg, lower insurance, 2 sliding power doors, held gob loads of luggage behind the 3rd row (no need for a roof or hitch carrier you see on SUVs) yada yada yada. It was the best option for hauling 3 small boys around. But when it was no longer needed, out the door it went. Of course, it had 170k miles on it, and the transmission was just starting to have light symptoms that others had before the transmission took a dump. So I dumped it before it dumped me. Great vehicle though.
    That's one thing the SUV crowd would point to, minivan transmissions going out too early but I agree with you 100%. Besides a little more towing capacity, the SUV is inferior to a minivan. I'm surprised your Honda transmission was dying at only 170k miles. I expect that from a Caravan or a Pacifica but not from an Odyssey?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'm surprised your Honda transmission was dying at only 170k miles. I expect that from a Caravan or a Pacifica but not from an Odyssey?
    Oh, they were much worse in the generation before mine. Mine didn't actually go out. The wife, she never noticed what I did, so it wasn't bad at all. And maybe I was making it up. It was called judder. Most of them got judder even before 100k miles. But I serviced the transmission, and its filter (that the dealer would swear it didn't have) thoroughly. And even at 170k miles, I think I was just getting a hint of what is called judder. I could have been hallucinating. I think it was speeds between 40 mph - 60 mph upon very gentle acceleration, there would be a slight judder. It was a light vibration that seemed to be coming from the transmission at those speeds. And we didn't really need it any longer, so I sold it, before I stumbled into a repair. Otherwise, the van was mostly trouble-free.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Oh, they were much worse in the generation before mine. Mine didn't actually go out. The wife, she never noticed what I did, so it wasn't bad at all. And maybe I was making it up. It was called judder. Most of them got judder even before 100k miles. But I serviced the transmission, and its filter (that the dealer would swear it didn't have) thoroughly. And even at 170k miles, I think I was just getting a hint of what is called judder. I could have been hallucinating. I think it was speeds between 40 mph - 60 mph upon very gentle acceleration, there would be a slight judder. It was a light vibration that seemed to be coming from the transmission at those speeds. And we didn't really need it any longer, so I sold it, before I stumbled into a repair. Otherwise, the van was mostly trouble-free.
    How many more do you think you could of got out of it with out a new tranny?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Me? I'd drive it until it left me stranded. Officially, there's no telling. But, if I had to guess, it would have gone another 40k or 50k.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-23-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yah, I heard of horror stories with the honda v6 + old transmissions. Apparently there are some stories about the current 9spd ZF9 tranny as well, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

TBH, I do already feel that it's not as smooth as the audi's. Damn luxury vehicles got me spoiled and I hate it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Look at it like this. There's luxury vehicles that make you feel (well, I don't know about feelings) something, and take a lot of money to do it. Then there are vehicles that take a lot less money so that you have more money for the luxuries in life. Like hookers, liquor and blackjack.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-24-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Like hookers, liquor and blackjack.
    And you can waste the rest.

We waited until a couple years after the Caravan major refresh to see if Chrysler finally got the transmission right. Nothing that I remember popped up so we bought one. We never had a driveline issue, is was a very reliable van but we had the key sticking issue. That and multiple rear tire flats. 3 of them I tracked to an idiot with a roofing company 2 streets over. You'd think he would smarten up after paying us nearly $500 for tires 3 years running.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Look at it like this. There's luxury vehicles that make you feel (well, I don't know about feelings) something, and take a lot of money to do it. Then there are vehicles that take a lot less money so that you have more money for the luxuries in life. Like hookers, liquor and blackjack.
    Don't forget that sweet, sweet, chiba.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh yeah. I always forget. Since (fo' real), I've never used, chiba, hiba, schmiba, or any of the 'ibas. Not saying I won't (before I'm dead). Just that I haven't, don't know how / where I even could.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agreed. It's the wife's fault for having it as a dream car.

I'm a more practical guy. My list of previous cars are 1988 Toyota Corolla and 2010 Kia Rio.

My list of previous bikes: Ninja 250, Ninja 600, ZRX 1200. All of which used and under 2k, IIRC.