Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT Transmission is jerky/clunky (please help!)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

CVT Transmission is jerky/clunky (please help!)

Hi guys,

I'm new here, this is my first post. I don't know much about cars either but I'm trying to learn.

So I was gifted a 2015 Mirage 2 years ago when I was homeless. The car was in pretty bad condition for only 40k miles. It wasn't taken care of that well. Dents, missed oil changes, not washed... But, I got a free car, and one that changed my life for the better, so I really can't complain (but I'm still going to complain). This car was my literal home for half a year. Not the most spacious but better than sleeping outside during a cold and windy mid-winter Wisconsin night. Fast forward to now, I'm in college and on track to become a cyber security professional. This ****ty Mirage turned my ****ty life around. Ok ok, story time is over.

The issue I'm having is that my CVT automatic transmission is jerky and clunky. Whenever I come to a stop it jerks into first gear after the car has completely stop. This is the most noticeable jerk. Other times, it will shift out of no where when going 40-60mph. It's gotten to the point where I can predict every **** up the transmission is about to make. Since my Mirage only has 48k miles on it still, I've brought into into the dealer for warranty repair. In fact, I've actually brought it in 4 TIMES NOW. The first time was a CVT fluid change. Second was a computer reset or something. Third was for a whole ass new transmission swap. Now this is when I really start to lose my patience with the dealership. Because after a new transmission was put in, or so they say, it had MORE problems than before. The gear shifter was not working properly (had to over-shift into Neutral and Reverse, otherwise it the display gauge would read that it was in no gear, just blank " "), and I was still having the same exact jerking issues as before. So a couple weeks ago I dropped it off again, for the fourth time, to get looked at. I went out of town and will be back next week to pick it up. I've called the dealership and they said they have replaced the control module box, and that during their test drive it's running better than before. What sucks is that I really can't trust them. Because they gave me a car with more issues than it had prior to bringing it in, and they had also said they test drove it then.

Has anyone had similar issues like this in the past? I still have 2000 miles / 1.5 months left until the powertrain warranty expires. I really need this car to last me though the next 2 years of college! Does anyone have tips or advice? Maybe something I could ask the dealership to look further into? Something I can look at myself? Would bringing it in for a 3rd party inspection be worth it?

The only history I know of this car is that a previous owner slammed into a curb when texting and driving. The hub caps on both wheels on one side of the car smashed on impact. The mechanic said he couldn't fix the alignment 100%, but the owner did not want to contact insurance and have it considered totaled or rebuild the front axle or whatever was wrong with.

Thanks for reading my post! I hope to perform some of these nifty mods I see here (like the air intake box rattle fix, annoying!!). This is a great forum y'all have built for Mirages!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Hmm...the 'jerk' you notice when coming to a stop is, well, normal for these transmissions. The CVT in this car is actually hooked to a two-speed gearbox. What you are feeling is the gearbox shifting into low. It shouldn't be a hard shift, but it is noticeable.

CVTs are not like conventional automatics. Aside from the aforementioned gearbox, they don't have actual gears they shift through. When you are driving along and approach a hill, the CVT will change the transmissions ratios. This will result in the engine revving higher, as more power is needed in a lower gear to get the car up the hill at the requested speed.

Others may be able to give you more insight. Oh, and welcome!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WI_Mirage View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm new here, this is my first post. I don't know much about cars either but I'm trying to learn.
    Thanks for reading my post! I hope to perform some of these nifty mods I see here (like the air intake box rattle fix, annoying!!). This is a great forum y'all have built for Mirages!
    Hello WI_Mirage and welcome to the forum.

I apologize for a short response but I want you to look at this thread for a possible explanation:

TSB: Jatco CVT-7 | F1CJB | JF015E Continuously Variable Transmission

Sounds like your service department hooked you up with a new CVT which is nice but didn't finish the job with the requisite retraining procedure.

And maybe all they had to do is reprogram it, but if they give you a new one take it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WI_Mirage View Post
    ...brought into dealer for warranty repair
    ...first time was CVT fluid change
    ...Second was computer reset
    ...Third was new transmission
    ...after new transmission...had MORE problems
    ...fourth time...replaced control module
    I know it's been inconvenient, but the dealer is just following Mitsubishi's process. Even if the dealer thought you needed a new CVT the first time you brought your car in, they couldn't give you one. Mitsubishi has to approve major repairs like a new transmission. Before they approve one, they require the dealer to try a fluid change and a transmission module re-flash first...which is what they did. Those repair attempts didn't work...but that's not really the dealer's fault.

Not test-driving the car to verify a repair...now that is the dealer's fault.

Now you have a new transmission AND module...and hopefully the module has the latest programming. Don't just assume they screwed it up. Pick the car up and drive it around to verify that it's better.

FYI...

You may not realize it, but you probably have $8,000+ in retail dealer repairs in that car right now. The last time I looked, the list price of a CVT was close to $7,000. Your new CVT is worth more than the car.

The good thing is that once this is straightened out, your car will have no problem lasting your for another 2 years and beyond.

I still have 2000 miles / 1.5 months left until the powertrain warranty expires.
    Since the new transmission was installed just before your powertrain warranty is expiring, it should be covered if something happens 2 months from now. If you contact Mitsubishi Customer Support and let them know the situation, they can put a note in their system that will extend coverage on your transmission. If you get the car back and it still doesn't drive correctly, I would make that phone call to Mitsubishi before your warranty officially expires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-24-2020)

I don't know what overshifting is supposed to mean? That's a new one. If the shift indicator isn't working properly that's an issue that should be repaired. Hopefully just need to adjust the shifter indicator switch on the top of the transmission.

As already stated, a clunk or lurch when stopped or almost stoped is unfortunately normal. Hold the brake pedal harder is my fix. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...when-stopping)

If the dealer didn't do the proper magic relearn after the install, I'd like to think it'd learn itself after a while. How long ago was the new cvt installed? A day, 6 months...?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Did the deslership even tell you what the issue was for the 1st CVT? Dont expect a cvt in a econobox to shift seamlessly. Its unrefined and at times clunky, but well suited to the underpowered Mirage (in most cases). The fact you got a brand new CVT is awesome but dont expect your sh!tbox to be smooth as a Mercedes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't know what overshifting is supposed to mean? That's a new one.
    Say I'm in drive and I shift into reverse. The display will read " ", even though the knob is at R, and the engine is still in neutral. If I want to actually get into reverse I have to "overshift" halfway up to park, and then back down to reverse. Same thing applies to going from driver to neutral. The display will read " " but the car is still in drive. Hopefully this will be fixed when I pick my Mirage up next week.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    It shouldn't be a hard shift, but it is noticeable.
    It's hard for me to gauge what is a noticeable but not a hard shift, because I have no reference to go off of. The only other Mirage I have driven was a manual that the dealership once gave me as a loaner. I liked the manual much more, but I like manuals more in general. I have honestly thought about buying a used manual transmission and having it swapped and selling my CVT for profit. But, I have seen that the CVT gives better gas mileage. But this thing already gets insane gas mileage as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Oh, and welcome!
    Thank you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello WI_Mirage and welcome to the forum.
    Thank you!

I apologize for a short response but I want you to look at this thread for a possible explanation:

TSB: Jatco CVT-7 | F1CJB | JF015E Continuously Variable Transmission
    Wow, thanks for this! This is exactly what I am experiencing, the shift shock! Both condition 1 and 2 happen, but condition 2 is more often. I will come to a complete stop and I can feel the car wanting to shift into a lower gear, but it doesn't. After the complete stop I will take my foot off the brake, no gas, and the entire car will jerk and shift down. The jerk is bad enough that others can visibly tell something just happen, almost like it's a manual car and I dropped the clutch too fast in 1st gear and stalled the engine.

I will definitely read through these TSBs more thoroughly and ask the dealership if they did everything recommended.

Sounds like your service department hooked you up with a new CVT which is nice but didn't finish the job with the requisite retraining procedure.

And maybe all they had to do is reprogram it, but if they give you a new one take it.
    The second time I brought it in I believe they did reprogram it, or they said they "flashed" something. But it didn't do jack ****.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I know it's been inconvenient, but the dealer is just following Mitsubishi's process. Even if the dealer thought you needed a new CVT the first time you brought your car in, they couldn't give you one. Mitsubishi has to approve major repairs like a new transmission. Before they approve one, they require the dealer to try a fluid change and a transmission module re-flash first...which is what they did. Those repair attempts didn't work...but that's not really the dealer's fault.

Not test-driving the car to verify a repair...now that is the dealer's fault.
    I've been extremely patient with the dealership through all of this. Especially considering that the pandemic caused them to close down for two weeks, without notifying me, and my car was supposed to be brought in the next day. They can't help it, I can't help it, so whatever just roll with the punches right? But the lack of test driving the car is what really gets me irritated. I made it very clear to them, in a respectable manner, how upsetting this experience has been for me because they have refused to test drive my car after warranty service. It felt like test driving my car was a waste of time for them. I am very hopeful that they are telling the truth now, and when I go to pick up the car next week they will have done a test drive to ensure everything has been installed properly.

You may not realize it, but you probably have $8,000+ in retail dealer repairs in that car right now. The last time I looked, the list price of a CVT was close to $7,000. Your new CVT is worth more than the car.
    I knew they were expensive but not that expensive! It's why I have taken advantage of the situation to get everything replaced before the warranty expires.

Since the new transmission was installed just before your powertrain warranty is expiring, it should be covered if something happens 2 months from now. If you contact Mitsubishi Customer Support and let them know the situation, they can put a note in their system that will extend coverage on your transmission. If you get the car back and it still doesn't drive correctly, I would make that phone call to Mitsubishi before your warranty officially expires.
    I'll make the phone call now and have them put a note in the system. I want every extended warranty possible. If when I pick the car up next week it's still having issues, then I'll be more prepared.