Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 279326
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Well folks, all good things must come to an end.

Speck has met an untimely demise. Another driver pulled out in front of me - Speck has been totaled. It's frustrating in many ways. It happened at essentially parking lot speeds and should have been avoidable but the impact was enough to deploy airbags. There were no injuries. I was able to drive it home that day (it happened on February 22nd) so it didn't quite make it to six years of ownership and of course I was hoping for many more years. On the other hand the insurance payout is more than I expected. That'll go towards the next vehicle.

I removed all that I put on it and returned it to stock form for the insurance company settlement. A wrecker will arrive tomorrow afternoon to take it to auction. Some parts that will go up for sale include:
    New in box front rotors & pads
    Rockford Fosgate amp & sub kit
    Pioneer speakers for the doors
    WeatherTech floor liners
    ZeroStart 3100111 400 watt engine block heater
    KDLinks R100 rearview mirror mounted dashcam
    A set of Dunlop Enasaves (unmounted)
    A set of Dunlop Wintermaxx (mounted on steel rims complete with factory TPMS & wheel covers.)
    I even got the Air Lift airbags out of the rear axle springs today.
    Not sure if I want to sell the Fumoto oil drain valve, but I don't know if I'll have another use for it.

That's about all I can think of. If there's any interest in any of these items, let me know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear that.. but glad everyone is OK... It really sucks. Is there a "Speck The Second" on the radar, or what are your plans???Maybe you should keep that stuff for the "Next Generation" ???
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Well folks, all good things must come to an end.

Speck has met an untimely demise. Another driver pulled out in front of me - Speck has been totaled. It's frustrating in many ways. It happened at essentially parking lot speeds and should have been avoidable but the impact was enough to deploy airbags. There were no injuries. I was able to drive it home that day (it happened on February 22nd) so it didn't quite make it to six years of ownership and of course I was hoping for many more years. On the other hand the insurance payout is more than I expected. That'll go towards the next vehicle.

I removed all that I put on it and returned it to stock form for the insurance company settlement. A wrecker will arrive tomorrow afternoon to take it to auction. Some parts that will go up for sale include:
    New in box front rotors & pads
    Rockford Fosgate amp & sub kit
    Pioneer speakers for the doors
    WeatherTech floor liners
    ZeroStart 3100111 400 watt engine block heater
    KDLinks R100 rearview mirror mounted dashcam
    A set of Dunlop Enasaves (unmounted)
    A set of Dunlop Wintermaxx (mounted on steel rims complete with factory TPMS & wheel covers.)
    I even got the Air Lift airbags out of the rear axle springs today.
    Not sure if I want to sell the Fumoto oil drain valve, but I don't know if I'll have another use for it.

That's about all I can think of. If there's any interest in any of these items, let me know.
    That is a huge bummer! Glad the accident wasn't worst, but still very sad to hear! Speck will be missed!

For those reading this -

I would buy the WeatherTech floor liners, engine block heater, extra steel rims with winter tires, & the Fumoto drain valve in a heartbeat if I didn't already have all those items. Those are great items to add to any Mirage!

Heck, I would even consider the brakes if I owned a 2014-15 model. If I was 40 years younger, I would be all over the stereo system with speakers, too!

I hope these items all find good homes for you. You're selling some great stuff for any Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Glad nobody was hurt but hate to hear about Speck's premature demise. How many miles were on it?

When it looks like someone is about to wreck into me I always think "Go ahead...just make sure you hit me hard enough to total it!" It doesn't take much unfortunately.

Hopefully the insurance company gave you enough to buy a replacement 2015 Mirage on Carvana...

Name:  carvana_3.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  33.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear. What are you thinking for your next car?
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Sorry to hear that.. but glad everyone is OK... It really sucks. Is there a "Speck The Second" on the radar, or what are your plans???Maybe you should keep that stuff for the "Next Generation" ???
    Unfortunately I won't be getting another Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That is a huge bummer! Glad the accident wasn't worst, but still very sad to hear! Speck will be missed!
    Thanks for your kind words Mark. I'm definitely bummed about it and taking off all the goodies I installed over the years was tough. It's like saying goodbye to a trusty old friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    For those reading this -

I would buy the WeatherTech floor liners, engine block heater, extra steel rims with winter tires, & the Fumoto drain valve in a heartbeat if I didn't already have all those items. Those are great items to add to any Mirage!

Heck, I would even consider the brakes if I owned a 2014-15 model. If I was 40 years younger, I would be all over the stereo system with speakers, too!

I hope these items all find good homes for you. You're selling some great stuff for any Mirage!
    I hope to get these things to forum members as I know no one else will appreciate them as much as this group.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Glad nobody was hurt but hate to hear about Speck's premature demise. How many miles were on it?
    Speck has 42,118 miles. It still has the original Enasaves with I'd guess about 20,000 more miles to go. They are suffering more from oxidation degradation than wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    When it looks like someone is about to wreck into me I always think "Go ahead...just make sure you hit me hard enough to total it!" It doesn't take much unfortunately.

Hopefully the insurance company gave you enough to buy a replacement 2015 Mirage on Carvana...
    The payout for surrendering was around $9500 if I remember correctly (it's written down somewhere - I didn't commit it to memory...) $7500 or so if I wanted to keep it.

Carvana is asking more for that used 2015 DE than I originally paid for my top-level Speck on 4 March 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Sorry to hear. What are you thinking for your next car?
    I've thought real hard about a replacement for Speck ever since I got it. You might recall I was a big advocate for the Mirage as a good choice for saving money for more important things?

I have placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range with dual-motor AWD.

It's part of a bigger move on my part to burn less fossil fuels. Speck was a step in that direction, now I have a chance to take it to the next level.

Sorry if this is off-topic. Several years ago in our home I changed the natural-gas burning furnace for a geothermal heat pump and the water heater from gas to electric. Last summer I cleared some trees off our small inner-ring suburban property, replaced the roof and had a grid-tied solar photovoltaic system installed. It is sized to deliver 98% of our electric needs over a year. Time will tell how it actually works out. The electric car is the last step, and it should suit my/our driving needs just fine.

I went with a Tesla because it is a very innovative company with 80% domestic parts content. I seriously considered a Chevrolet Bolt but they are unavailable new due to their battery recall. Also their drivetrain and traction battery are from LG Chem - again, not domestic.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-15-2022 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Corrected odometer reading

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-22-2022),MetroMPG (03-16-2022),vintzend (03-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Really sad day. Probably the lowest mileage best spec ('15 ES 5MT) left on the planet. Stupid driving public.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Really sad day. Probably the lowest mileage best spec ('15 ES 5MT) left on the planet. Stupid driving public.
    It should come up for auction sometime soon. It was picked up by Insurance Auto Auctions this morning.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-15-2022 at 04:24 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Speck has 42,118 miles. It still has the original Enasaves with I'd guess about 20,000 more miles to go. They are suffering more from oxidation degradation than wear.

The payout for surrendering was around $9500 if I remember correctly (it's written down somewhere - I didn't commit it to memory...) $7500 or so if I wanted to keep it.

Carvana is asking more for that used 2015 DE than I originally paid for my top-level Speck on 4 March 2016.

I've thought real hard about a replacement for Speck ever since I got it. You might recall I was a big advocate for the Mirage as a good choice for saving money for more important things?

I have placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range with dual-motor AWD.

It's part of a bigger move on my part to burn less fossil fuels. Speck was a step in that direction, now I have a chance to take it to the next level.

Sorry if this is off-topic. Several years ago in our home I changed the natural-gas burning furnace for a geothermal heat pump and the water heater from gas to electric. Last summer I cleared some trees off our small inner-ring suburban property, replaced the roof and had a grid-tied solar photovoltaic system installed. It is sized to deliver 98% of our electric needs over a year. Time will tell how it actually works out. The electric car is the last step, and it should suit my/our driving needs just fine.

I went with a Tesla because it is a very innovative company with 80% domestic parts content. I seriously considered a Chevrolet Bolt but they are unavailable new due to their battery recall. Also their drivetrain and traction battery are from LG Chem - again, not domestic.
    You've done some really nice things to help save the planet. I hope you keep us posted on your solar gird. It's surely an option more of us should be considering. My house sits on 72 acres. Even though most of it is wooded, I could find room for solar panels some day.

I can see more families using an electric vehicle to supplement their other vehicles. Several Mirage owners sort of use their Mirage in the same way. It's not their only vehicle that does all.

I assume you still have your Ford Escape to pull your camper?

If one tried to trade a Mirage for another vehicle, I doubt they would get as much as your insurance claim. In that respect, I would feel good about that. It's still sad to realize Speck is leaving us!

Who knows? Maybe someone on the forum will own it as a salvage car some day. Do you think it will be repaired by someone?