Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why change your suspension?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts

Why change your suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post
    This may have been covered, but I can't seem to find it. I have a 2018 and am considering the Eibach lowering springs front/rear at some point in the future.
    Mind if I ask why anyone would want to change the suspension on their Mirage? Is there a problem with it to be solved?

From my perspective, the Mirage is a cheap economy car, and I paid what I did with that expectation in mind. I could have gotten another car, but I wanted to save my money for other things.

Spending money on changing the suspension goes against that. There are posts that suggest lowering will wreck alignment though not many owners will admit to it I suspect due to confirmation bias.

As a platform, the Mirage is not a sports car. It is designed to be cheap, reliable transportation. If I wanted a sporting driving experience, My money would have been better spent buying a car with that design goal in mind.

So why change yours? I don't get it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

johane (08-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ...the Mirage is a cheap economy car...
    ...Spending money on changing the suspension goes against that.
    Ummm...doesn't your car have a Doax sway bar?!?
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-15-2020 at 07:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (07-15-2020),Dirk Diggler (07-15-2020),Fummins (07-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Because even if it is an economy car, some may not like the way it handles, or how droopy the tail gets from the littlest weight. It's OK to have an economy car that handles well, even if that wasn't the intended purpose. Changing springs or adding a Daox bar doesn't change the intention of the Mirage, but makes it a little better at very little cost. I didn't change to VW springs or Daox bar to make it 'sporty', I know it's not, and adding those still does not do that. However, it handles better at highway speeds and exits. To each their own. I get it.
    (blank signature)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (07-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I tried a set of regular Beetle springs from a junkyard and found them too tall - my rear shock absorbers were at full extension much of the time. They fit in the spring seats. I returned those springs and went back with my stock set.

I also tried a couple sets of springs from something else - some Yarii I think - they didn't fit well in the spring seats so I gave up on those too.

Despite some claims here on the forum, I cannot recommend Beetle springs. Maybe if I found a lowering set, it hasn't been that important for me to pursue.
    Kettle?

I felt the same way. The only money I spent on mine that wasn't necessary was for some seat covers. Not cause I like them but to protect the seats for when/if I sell it or quit wearing pooh stained clothes in it. For the last few years I've been dumping all my extra money onto my mortgage rather than blow it on crap I don't need for a car I'll throw away in 5 years.

But on the other hand if I could throw a $1000 for some coilovers and another $800-$1000 for some decent wheels and tires to make this thing corner better and not feel like it's gonna tip over in a 40mph side wind I'd probably go for it. Even if it just looks cool.

I won't knock someone for modding their car whether it be beneficial or just to make it look cool. Just kidding, yes I will, but I'm a hypocrite.

Everyone's priorities are different. I just blew $1500 on accessories(glass windshield,lift kit,back window,extra kids seat) for my new side by side and I'm not done yet. I waste money.
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-15-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (07-15-2020),Dirk Diggler (07-15-2020),Top_Fuel (07-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Adding the money I spent on springs and sway bar, I still don't believe I could have gotten a better new car.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (07-15-2020),Bralexander (07-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think you already have your answers, but since you quoted me...
    1) I enjoy modifying things!
    2) I appreciate the driving experience of a more sporty suspension, regardless of speed or acceleration
    3) A better handling car is a safer car

Those are my main reasons, in order of importance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A few years ago, I had a 1986 Nissan pickup. The leaf spring bushings were shot. I didn't really care, but since I didn't grow up with any automotive repair training, but wanted to learn, I replaced them myself. I've done quite a bit of that...see if I could do it...DIY...learn about stuff.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can understand switching out suspension components to make it feel better. Firstly, the people who do upgrade should (hopefully) understand what/how it changes the car. "It feels like it's on rails" < i see that a lot but after 4 months, it gets old, especially if you're on adjustable coilovers. And I think the adjustable coilovers are overkill on our Mirages....but hey, if that's your style, more to you. It doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that drivers will miscalculate how the car handles and could potentially crash the car.

I haven't done any suspension work on the car, yet. I don't think I will ever purchase coilovers for the Mirage. I will maybe get lowering springs if I keep it forever.

I do agree that the Mirage is not a sports car. FAR. FROM. IT. lol. BUT, it can be a very fun car. At the end of the day, it's your car and you can enjoy it however you like. Hell, I haven't seen a lifted Mirage yet. haha!
    Name:  rage-3roll_MS (1).jpg
Views: 2209
Size:  93.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

johane (08-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd love to say that the lower center of gravity and the aftermarket rims that stick out further than the stock rims were what I was scientifically going with to make my car safer in corners and for emergency swerving maneuvers, but those are really just side benefits. I wanted a lowered vehicle for once in my life.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Because I have now owned two, one of them purchased brand new, and they both violently crash off the bumpstops and unsettle the suspension almost dangerously. Criminally undersprung and damped.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (07-15-2020),Fummins (07-15-2020)