Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: 17" Wheel Rubbing Alert!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    After looking at his hubcaps, I checked out some aftermarket hubcaps. Almost every review complained about hubcaps flying off like Dirk stated. The zip tie suggestion isn't a bad one. Zip ties are cheap.
    I was asking ol' Dirk about his experience with those hubcaps. I don't disagree with your position, but if Dirk has some specific experience with the situation I would like to hear more about it from him. But thanks for chiming in. I still think the hubcaps newtomit has will work just fine without unnecessary worrying or fretting, but what do I know. I know I make sure my hubcaps are all mounted fully and securely and I haven't lost any of mine, so there's that. Until I lose one.

Extra lug nut - I don't understand your comment - "that's the difference we all should adopt." What are you talking about exactly?

I may have missed it. Did he state he has extra lug nuts?
    Mark, it was a subtle attempt at humor. You missed it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Fummins does the same thing for his fleet IIRC.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I know I make sure my hubcaps are all mounted fully and securely and I haven't lost any of mine, so there's that. Until I lose one.
    I make sure my hubcaps are secure, too! It's not hard to tell if they are snapped in or they aren't. Yet, I lost one. I found a matching replacement on eBay, but it was costly. I could have bought a couple complete sets of hubcaps for the same amount money.

Having said that, I don't zip tie my hubcaps. I change the wheels on both of my vehicles twice a year (sping & late fall), & I don't want to mess with zip ties. I still feel it's a good suggestion to consider, however.

Personally, I hate hubcaps. I've owned a number of vehicles that that came with steel wheels that didn't need hubcaps. Even my cheap 1990 Ford Festiva had steel wheels that had a finished look to them. We are talking about a cheap car made 30 years ago.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1990...Gg9Pi0QSWHFI5M

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You better ziptie those hubcaps if you wanna keep em!
    I never heard that before but sounds like a good idea. I am well aware these hubcaps will eventually break or fall off. When they do, I might just go cap-less and shed some weight.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Mark, it was a subtle attempt at humor. You missed it.
    I got your humor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    I never heard that before but sounds like a good idea. I am well aware these hubcaps will eventually break or fall off. When they do, I might just go cap-less and shed some weight.
    Did you go with open ended lug nuts or closed ones? Just curious.

I've missed Eggman's humor before. I'm sure it will happen again, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you go with open ended lug nuts or closed ones? Just curious.
    I wanted to go with the closed ones but I asked the mechanic if they will be too long for the hubcaps and he said yes so I went with open ended ones.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wanted to go with the closed ones but I asked the mechanic if they will be too long for the hubcaps and he said yes so I went with open ended ones.
    I am glad you asked him, because I thought that could create an issue.

In all honesty, your hubcaps look really good! My factory hubcaps don't really look all that great.

Your old black wheel did have a cool look. Over time, however, the black coating would have peeled off leaving them not looking so good.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am glad you asked him, because I thought that could create an issue.

In all honesty, your hubcaps look really good! My factory hubcaps don't really look all that great.

Your old black wheel did have a cool look. Over time, however, the black coating would have peeled off leaving them not looking so good.
    Thanks! If I kept the old wheels, I actually would peel the black coating off. I think it’d look nice in silver/alloy color. The mechanic who bought them said that’s what he’s doing.

I am well aware these pop-on hubcaps don’t last long. I’m a pretty defensive driver so that helps, but all it takes is 1 pothole. The way I look at it, if they break/fall off in 6 months, for $25, I’m not mad. I’ll get a new style next time, it’s like giving the car a mini makeover If they only last 2-3 months, I’d probably just go hubcap-less. For me, I’m trying to view this car as a commuter car and not a show-off. This attitude also helps when I randomly find more scratches on the car that I didn’t see before

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks! If I kept the old wheels, I actually would peel the black coating off. I think it’d look nice in silver/alloy color. The mechanic who bought them said that’s what he’s doing.

I am well aware these pop-on hubcaps don’t last long. I’m a pretty defensive driver so that helps, but all it takes is 1 pothole. The way I look at it, if they break/fall off in 6 months, for $25, I’m not mad. I’ll get a new style next time, it’s like giving the car a mini makeover If they only last 2-3 months, I’d probably just go hubcap-less. For me, I’m trying to view this car as a commuter car and not a show-off. This attitude also helps when I randomly find more scratches on the car that I didn’t see before
    My factory plastic hubcaps are almost 3 years old. They don't look any different today than new. I wouldn't worry about it.