Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crashed my car because forgot parking brake (5 speed)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

In gear

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    Same with the key-start Mirage. I can't start mine in gear u wenless I push the clutch down.
    I don't own anything that will start in gear, except a 1965 Envinrude 3 hp boat motor. You kill the engine to stop or pull the propellor up. Even my compact tractor from the 1970's won't start unless the clutch is depressed. My 1985 Honda ATV is clutchless & will only start in neutral. Companies have been protecting us from ourselves for decades. You can't start any car in gear without clutch being depressed that I know of. I've only seen it possible on older tractors. Some automatic cars won't start unless the brake is depressed.

A Mirage clutch has to be fully depressed. Adding a rubber floor mat incorrectly taught me that.

I bypassed my clutch safety when I was 16. Had an old bronco and always ran out of gas cause I was poor and the gauge never worked. Came in handy when it'd die while trying to cross a highway or at a red light, just put it in gear and crank it. Not gonna win any races but beats sitting there waiting to get hit.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-08-2018)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    never hurts to put a big rock behind the wheel.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My goodness, I can relate. I'm the same way, I *always* do in gear and parking brake, but once I came out of Home Depot, and found my Accord blocking the parking aisle instead of sitting in the spot where I left it. Apparently I didn't learn because the police came to my girlfriend's house while I was talking to her mom in the backyard. they asked if either of us owned a honda accord. It had rolled out of the driveway, across the street and into the neighbor's yard. Presumably because my girlfriend's family was Southeast Asian, the white supremacists across the way didn't have the decency to knock on the door (they never spoke to me or anyone in the family), but chose to involve law enforcement even as they had just moved in a couple months earlier. Absolute garbage people. That time I HAD left the car in gear, and it had slipped out. Should have used the parking brake...
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

There's a Home Depot theme running here. Beware of cars rolling around in H.D. parking lots!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

bzacon (05-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I bypassed my clutch safety when I was 16. Had an old bronco and always ran out of gas cause I was poor and the gauge never worked. Came in handy when it'd die while trying to cross a highway or at a red light, just put it in gear and crank it. Not gonna win any races but beats sitting there waiting to get hit.
    HA!

I bypassed the clutch safety switch on my 2000 Metro this winter -- it died in stop & go traffic in the middle lane of the 417 in Ottawa and almost didn't re-start. After that, I decided I wanted the ability to drive it to the side of the road with the starter if it happened again. (Hasn't.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    HA!

I bypassed the clutch safety switch on my 2000 Metro this winter -- it died in stop & go traffic in the middle lane of the 417 in Ottawa and almost didn't re-start. After that, I decided I wanted the ability to drive it to the side of the road with the starter if it happened again. (Hasn't.)
    I was gonna do the same to my current truck but with my luck lately one of my kids would play with the key. Things could get a little smashy.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I'm going to put a switch on the bypass wire. One of these days.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

bzacon (05-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a great idea, I will consider doing the same. Would be really nice to have for emergencies, not that the Mirage is usually hard to push. Using the starter seems like it would be less dangerous. How much damage does a short drive like that do to the starter though?
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Less than getting rear-ended in the middle lane of the 417 in Ottawa!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-08-2018),Fummins (05-08-2018)