Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oil change thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Here's one way to look at it - most of us got started with changing oil, rotating tires, maybe doing a brake job, especially if taking it to a dealer or a shop is too expensive. Sure beats trying to figure out a CVT replacement or engine misfire.

Some folks had a parent or mentor to learn from. Some of us (myself) didn't and had to rely on other sources like Haynes or Chilton manuals. I think online forums are a good source of info, though sometimes it's hard to sort out the truth from the chaff.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    So I'm going to Jasper lol vacation soon, see the Rocky Mountains but I have an SUV rental free upgrade at Thrifty--- no Mirage at Jasper mountains photos unfortunately
    That is going to be a great trip. You'll have to tell us all about it.

Last edited by Eggman; 04-12-2019 at 08:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-12-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

That is going to be a great trip. You'll have to tell us all about it.
    Thanks Eggman, hope I don't get eaten by a bear. I helped my dad change the oil a few times including the '63 plymouth valiant we had, and the 80s vw rabbit convertible.

Lawn equipment ok for me to do. I just I worry about DIY and first timer stuff in vehicles I drive at 75 mph sometimes. Just doesn't add up for me. I leave certain things to it's easier to pay someone especially if it's only 2% of the 20k the car cost me over so many years not worth the gamble.

not a gamblin' man

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Bears! I still have a big can of bear spray in the garage from our last trip out West.

If you need something to liven up your trip look for 'A Walk In The Woods' by Bill Bryson. Pretty humorous, and probably available as an audiobook for listening to on the go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just I worry about DIY and first timer stuff in vehicles I drive at 75 mph sometimes. Just doesn't add up for me. I leave certain things to it's easier to pay someone especially if it's only 2% of the 20k the car cost me over so many years not worth the gamble.

not a gamblin' man
    Yet it's perfectly okay to trust a high school drop out to work on a car just because he is a mechanic.

Case in point, last year I pulled the engine out of my Delorean to change the clutch disk. There are supposed to be four bolts that hold the transmission and engine together. To my surprise, one of the bolts were missing.

Back ten years ago I paid a mechanic to replace my engine, long before I felt comfortable enough to do stuff like this myself. Apparently when he put it back together, he only used three bolts to mate the engine and transmission together. Either one of the bolts were missing when he did the job, or he simply lost one of them and didn't bother to tell me.

Do it yourself and you know it has been done right, or wrong for that matter. Hire someone else to do a job, and you better have faith they are going to do it right and not rip you off.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-12-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Do it yourself and you know it has been done right, or wrong for that matter. Hire someone else to do a job, and you better have faith they are going to do it right and not rip you off.
    That's a super useful post, and my Dad had a wheel fall off his truck after going to the shop, so you're right, trusting yourself over the so called experts. My Mirage was always serviced at the Mitsu Jaguar so the mechanics were doing Lancer Evos and brand Jags all the time, I figure they know what they're doing. Volvos too actually no more 7 seater wagon

One thing Oil-related about... where I live cold climate you have to get it krown rust controlled on any cheaper mitsubishi or hyundai too is toast eventually.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    I found the slow leak was caused by the drain plug, I put a copper washer on it and tighten it, no leak now. Oil change is one of the easiest thing we can do, just follow the youtube videos. Everyone can do that. I also kept the receipts for the oil and filter, wrote down the mileage. Took picture of the mileage and the scene I do the oil change. User's manual did not say we cannot DIY, but we need to keep the record.
    I've been changing my own oil for decades. Having said that, if I hadn't read that others had issues with the original crushed washer on the drain plug, I may have missed it, too. It was really crushed on there. If I didn't have my reader's on, I would have missed it. I remember that distinctly! I remember thinking it wasn't there at first, but it was. I also picked up an assortment of oil drain plug washers from Auto Zone prior to tackling the job the first time. When I did my second oil change, I added a Fumoto oil drain valve. That eliminates the washer issue and makes the job a bit easier.

Likewise if I didn't have an assortment of oil filter sockets, I would have never got the factory oil filter off. If it has been my first oil change ever, I would have been very frustrated.

I would never discourage someone from doing their own oil change, nor would I be critical of someone having a dealers or their hometown mechanic do the job. We have small hometown mechanics that will pick up your car at work, do the service on it, and return it. I do my own stuff most of the time, but my driver's education car is taken care of that way. Working on cars isn't for everyone especially during the winter months. Some people don't want to even deal with the disposal of the used oil. It's not convenient for everyone. Likewise, using a Mitsubishi dealership isn't convenient for someone like me.

A person needs to do whatever is best for their situation. I don't see the need to be critical about all this?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've been changing my own oil for decades.

A person needs to do whatever is best for their situation. I don't see the need to be critical about all this?
    The reason I might come across as critical is because if you sink in $19,000 or $15,000 into a new car with warranty and something else goes wrong, and the dealer may say oh you changed your own oil, so we aren't covering it.

That sort of scenario I could totally see happen and for the money that's why I wouldn't do servicing to a new Mirage. Personally

Since my dealer has been a stickler for help with my starter on my Mirage, I feel they could have used the servicing as a ticket to not helping me with my car problems as under power train warranty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    The reason I might come across as critical is because if you sink in $19,000 or $15,000 into a new car with warranty and something else goes wrong, and the dealer may say oh you changed your own oil, so we aren't covering it.

That sort of scenario I could totally see happen and for the money that's why I wouldn't do servicing to a new Mirage. Personally

Since my dealer has been a stickler for help with my starter on my Mirage, I feel they could have used the servicing as a ticket to not helping me with my car problems as under power train warranty.
    Everybody's situation is different. My dad likes taking his vehicles to dealerships for service, & that limits what brand of vehicle he's willing to purchase. Overall, dealerships have treated him well. My dad has an awesome workshop/garage, & I have watched him split tractors in half to replace clutches and do major engine work. He's not afraid to tackle most anything (especially in his younger days). Yet, he takes his vehicles to dealerships for service.

I paid $9299 ($10,153.73 OTD) for a brand new 2017 Mirage, & the dealership (from 4 hours away) delivered the car to my driveway for free. I am not going to make an 8-hour round trip for an oil change. I wouldn't let my most local Mitsubishi dealership (130 miles round trip) touch my Mirage under any circumstances. The next closest dealership is about 100 miles (200 miles round trip) away. If I believed using dealerships for service was important, I would have never bought a Mirage.

I only use dealerships for warranty/recall work. I wanted a beater car, & I bought a brand new Mirage. It's paid for, & I plan to drive it for long time.

Everyone's situation is different, & I totally get where you are coming from. In my case, using a dealership for service would have meant buying a Chevy Spark (& I never even bothered to look at one).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-13-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Everyone's situation is different, & I totally get where you are coming from. In my case, using a dealership for service would have meant buying a Chevy Spark (& I never even bothered to look at one).
    Good points. My dad, the same way with being handy, in his prime he could install trannys no problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Yet it's perfectly okay to trust a high school drop out to work on a car just because he is a mechanic.

Case in point, last year I pulled the engine out of my Delorean to change the clutch disk. There are supposed to be four bolts that hold the transmission and engine together. To my surprise, one of the bolts were missing.

Back ten years ago I paid a mechanic to replace my engine, long before I felt comfortable enough to do stuff like this myself. Apparently when he put it back together, he only used three bolts to mate the engine and transmission together. Either one of the bolts were missing when he did the job, or he simply lost one of them and didn't bother to tell me.

Even calling most lube techs mechanics is a huge stretch.