View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 78 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Good to see they did right for you . Will be interesting to see if F.E. gets a lift and tires longevity . There are some new FITs ('15s and possibly '16s ) with the same rear axle issue and Honda is doing very little about it .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ISP_guy View Post
    Honestly I haven't noticed much of a change but I haven't rode with a passenger yet, which is where I noticed my original issue. I might be taking a 3 hour trip this weekend so that will be a better test.

I can say this though - they gave me a blue Mirage "service car" that was an auto CVT, I *think* it was a DE because it was similar to mine and there was nothing special about it. But their loaner DID seem to handle better than mine. The bumps weren't as squishy and the curves seemed to hug better. I think they had a different set of tires on their loaner car, where I have the factory set on mine. Would the tires have made that much of a noticeable difference? My 5 speed DE did seem to get better MPG on the highway than theirs did which would point to different tires...
    The tires make a huge difference. Go buy some basic 15" wheels (so you can have several options for tires) and get some good tires already. The change is tremendous. Funny part is that performance tires at 15" are the same if not cheaper than the duracrap 14" that come on the car.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    The tires make a huge difference. Go buy some basic 15" wheels (so you can have several options for tires) and get some good tires already. The change is tremendous. Funny part is that performance tires at 15" are the same if not cheaper than the duracrap 14" that come on the car.
    tire make no difference; I had my rear axle replaced a few weeks after delivery,and it made a big difference in handling, more stable on road in curves or in bomps. So no the tyre make no diff. Fernand

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 5MT 1.2 manual: 72.8 mpg (US) ... 30.9 km/L ... 3.2 L/100 km ... 87.4 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitsulorette For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-15-2016),Pryme (03-14-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Any subjective change in the way the car feels/handles?
    When they change the axle, the car is more stable; before you feel like the flex when turning a sharp corner and it has a tendency to woble in curves; it has noting to do with tyre type or size; that is the experience I had; my axle as been change and no more of this behavior. I am very pleased with tthe way this car steer. Fernand ps sory for late posting; my axle was chnged about a year ago a few week after delivery and on warrenty

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 5MT 1.2 manual: 72.8 mpg (US) ... 30.9 km/L ... 3.2 L/100 km ... 87.4 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitsulorette For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-15-2016),HitShane (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I finally got my alignment checked at Sears after several failed attempts to get my dealer to verify my alignment was good before I took delivery of the car. Here is why they wouldn't show me the results. Broken printer, my ass...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  83.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 35.4 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RapidRick For This Useful Post:

R01k (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsulorette View Post
    tire make no difference; I had my rear axle replaced a few weeks after delivery,and it made a big difference in handling, more stable on road in curves or in bomps. So no the tyre make no diff. Fernand
    Well the tires made a huge difference to me as I bought new Wheels + Tires two weeks and 2k miles after I bought the car. Wider tires helped a lot with stability. I'm guessing your car with a new rear axle feels like mine with the sway bar. Now I want a new axle lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is my spec for my used 2014 Mirage

I think it is acceptable right? Not too bad?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey guys, I'm a bit disheartened by this issue. My car drove fine. It tracked straight. I didn't notice any premature tire wear, although the tires only lasted 32k miles. I chalked that up to crappy tires. I had rotated them every 5k miles. When I went to PepBoys to have 4 new tires put on, they told me I had the choice between a $94 tire, which seemed outrageous for these tiny tires, or an off-brand $48 tire. I figured as long as the tire lasts at least half as long as the more expensive tire, i'm not losing anything. The only catch was that the cheap tire was slightly wider and taller. A wider tire sounded good to me. The OEM tires had really poor grip in corners. So they put on the 4 new tires. I didn't notice driving home, but the following day, I realized I had to hold my steering wheel to the right a bit to see the car tracking straight. I was really pissed. I had just paid for an alignment during the tire replacement. So I went back to PepBoys. They put it back on there machine. Sure enough, the right rear tire was out of spec by 4 degrees. Just stand behind the car and it looks like the right rear wheel is leaning inward at the top. The service tech told me there's no adjustment on this car, so there was nothing he could to. I basically wasted the money on the alignment that wasn't needed to begin with. He recommended I bring it to Mitsubishi. So I did the next day. They tell me they've had other similar complaints, but couldn't honor the warranty as of that moment for me simply because I had larger non-OEM size tires on the car and that that could be the cause. The service manager told me if I want it checked out under warranty, I need to have the OEM tires back on it. I had just moved to a new state. I had too much crap to deal with and didn't have the time or energy to fuss about it anymore. PepBoys wouldn't do anything for me. So now I feel screwed. I basically have to hope the tires wear our before I surpass the 60k bumper to bumper warranty. Mitsu really needs to issue a recall on this, so that every Mirage owner is taken care of properly. Fat chance probably since it's not a safety related issue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    You should take a print out of your alignment to your dealer. A few forum members have had their rear axle replaced well over the 12k "adjustment" period

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    couldn't honor the warranty as of that moment for me simply because I had larger non-OEM size tires on the car and that that could be the cause. The service manager told me if I want it checked out under warranty, I need to have the OEM tires back on it.
    Who here in Georgia or nearby can help this forum member out? Consider swapping wheels for a week or two, until our palebeachbum gets his alignment problems sorted.

Any takers?

I would like to try driving on another set of tires, just to see what they are like.

Your dealer may be difficult, but there is a workaround.

Good luck. Here's hoping someone can help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)