Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serpentine belt shredded

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This is my guess as well. I suspect when the belt was put on at the factory it was installed incorrectly, and it took the belt this long to disintegrate.
    Since others are not making complaints about belts disintegrating, I feel Cobrajet's theory may be a good one. A number of people bring up a squeaky belt (@ morning start up), but belts do need adjustments at times.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Mirage's belt was making a buch of noise at 15,000 miles. I brought it in under warranty to be adjusted and they simply replaced the whole belt. My Mirage is a 2017 FWIW.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    My Mirage's belt was making a buch of noise at 15,000 miles. I brought it in under warranty to be adjusted and they simply replaced the whole belt. My Mirage is a 2017 FWIW.
    I have a 2017 Mirage with 36,000+ miles. My factory belt may make a slight squeal first thing in the morning (only on cold damp mornings). Other than that, I haven't had any issues or adjustments done. I probably shouldn't have said this. My belt will probably blow up tomorrow!

I may replace mine @ 60,000 miles and keep the original as a backup spare (unless it looks totally shot) for longer trips.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have a 2017 Mirage with 36,000+ miles. My factory belt may make a slight squeal first thing in the morning (only on cold damp mornings). Other than that, I haven't had any issues or adjustments done. I probably shouldn't have said this. My belt will probably blow up tomorrow!

I may replace mine @ 60,000 miles and keep the original as a backup spare (unless it looks totally shot) for longer trips.
    Mark, try tightening your accessory drive belt. That squeal indicates a slipping alternator. An alternator is loaded trying to recharge the SLI battery after engine startup, especially during shorter days & longer nights where the headlamps are likely to be used more. This can explain the slippage. The load on the alternator declines as the battery charges back up. Explainable, but also easily fixable.

Guess how I know this (not my Mirage, by the way.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Mark, try tightening your accessory drive belt. That squeal indicates a slipping alternator. An alternator is loaded trying to recharge the SLI battery after engine startup, especially during shorter days & longer nights where the headlamps are likely to be used more. This can explain the slippage. The load on the alternator declines as the battery charges back up. Explainable, but also easily fixable.

Guess how I know this (not my Mirage, by the way.)
    Thanks for the advice, but it hasn't squealed in a long time. Even then only @ start up on very damp days. It's not slipping under normal operation. It's fine for now. A belt that's to tight can be harder on bearings.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    There is a belt tension How To in this forum!

Mitsubishi says to tighten the belt until it "twangs" to a certain pitch, much like tightening the string of a guitar.
    It's simple and very easy to do, and you can be sure the result is 100% correct.
    See topic:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/4028

Last edited by foama; 07-25-2020 at 09:17 AM.