Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY: How to install a dashcam (hard wired to the Fuse box)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    On sale right now for $26.66 USD. Free shipping

http://s.aliexpress.com/FBf6Z7zy
    Seems to take good video. I have a 32gb card installed and setting the resolution at 720p it says I have close to 4 hours of recording time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    You don't need that much time. Only enough to capture incidents. Resolution counts more than footage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (03-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    You mean like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Cigare...2H99EE02PDZ72D

Thats all you need? I thought it needed something to regulate the voltage down to 5v
    Yep! The lighter plug on the OEM power cord will regulate the voltage, if necessary. All you are really doing is adding another 12v lighter socket that's hidden under the dash.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You don't need that much time. Only enough to capture incidents. Resolution counts more than footage.
    I can record at full HD 1920x1080 but I did notice the video is smoother at 720p

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks like a nice unit. I personally have a preference for the units that are a rearview mirror built in because it does not look like a dashcam and will discourage break-ins.

Yes, criminals will break your window to steal a dashcam or even a radar detector. I had my cousins car get broken into for a pack of Newport cigarettes he left on the dash. Turns out it was an empty pack

When it comes to these dashcams you get what you pay for so dont be afraid to buy a good unit for $80+ and something that has at least a 1 year warranty (being in your car with extreme temperatures will take its toll on the dashcam).

Also I am not a huge fan of suction cup mount because I feel that in an accident it will come flying off right when you need it the most.

Mine films in 1080p with the 32gb card
    Last edited by fc321; 03-13-2016 at 12:52 AM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks like a nice unit. I personally have a preference for the units that are a rearview mirror built in because it does not look like a dashcam and will discourage break-ins.

Yes, criminals will break your window to steal a dashcam or even a radar detector. I had my cousins car get broken into for a pack of Newport cigarettes he left on the dash. Turns out it was an empty pack

When it comes to these dashcams you get what you pay for so dont be afraid to buy a good unit for $80+ and something that has at least a 1 year warranty (being in your car with extreme temperatures will take its toll on the dashcam).

Also I am not a huge fan of suction cup mount because I feel that in an accident it will come flying off right when you need it the most.

Mine films in 1080p with the 32gb card

Well, it was so cheap I thought what the heck. They have a bazillion different flavor of cams there on alixpress. This was more of experiment then anything else but strangely enough after mounting it my wife said: "You should get another one and have it facing the rear"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought about putting one in the rear but 95% of the time when you get rear ended the person that gets blamed is the one who did the rear-ending......And in that case the burden of proof would be on him to clear his name.

I dont have official statistics but I think less than 20% of people (Maybe the number is much lower than that) own a dashcam on their vehicle.

I think more people have a backing up camera installed since that is often a dealer installed accessory.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I thought about putting one in the rear but 95% of the time when you get rear ended the person that gets blamed is the one who did the rear-ending......And in that case the burden of proof would be on him to clear his name.

I dont have official statistics but I think less than 20% of people (Maybe the number is much lower than that) own a dashcam on their vehicle.

I think more people have a backing up camera installed since that is often a dealer installed accessory.
    Not in mother russia.. at least judging by the youtube videos everyone has one. Makes for some entertaiment

A 17yo co-worker's son hit a red light runner, who admitted he did ran the light. Well the story was opposite in court room, and the judge blamed all on co-worker's son, b/c we all know teens are horrible drivers and pathological lairs, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Not in mother russia.. at least judging by the youtube videos everyone has one. Makes for some entertaiment

A 17yo co-worker's son hit a red light runner, who admitted he did ran the light. Well the story was opposite in court room, and the judge blamed all on co-worker's son, b/c we all know teens are horrible drivers and pathological lairs, right?
    I love watching those Russian dash cams! They have the most outrageous traffic accidents.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    since I couldn't find any other dashcam thread, if I plan to install a dashcam just like an sj4000 where do I plugit in so that it'll be turned on once I start the car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)