Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use running lights or always headlights?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Do you use running lights or always headlights?

Yesterday it was a bit foggy going home. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't super clear either. I had my running lights on, no headlights. However, I certainly seem to be in the minority as every other vehicle on the road either has no lights on, or has all their lights on.

My question to you is, do you use your running lights or do you always use headlights?

Here is a pic of the weather. It looks clearer than it was.

Name:  IMG_20190912_161410852_HDR.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  90.4 KB

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I leave my headlights on and utilize the feature that when you shut the car off and then open the driver's door, it shuts them off. So then when I start the car again, light are on. I like the all the time visibility and the speedo is easier to see lit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I use running lights a lot during the day and not headlights for a couple of reasons.
    1: Headlights bulbs will last longer due to not being on all the time.
    2: Headlights themselves will draw about 10 amps of power which will increase alternator demand which increases resistance and reduce mpg's. Yup, I'm that thrifty.
    3: Running lights increase your daylight visibility so I'm good with that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (09-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I use running lights a lot during the day and not headlights for a couple of reasons.
    1: Headlights bulbs will last longer due to not being on all the time.
    2: Headlights themselves will draw about 10 amps of power which will increase alternator demand which increases resistance and reduce mpg's. Yup, I'm that thrifty.
    I've thought of number one recently as my FIAT went through headlights like candy (I see on the road I wasn't the only one). So I like that. But I didn't know about the AMPS and MPG. Maybe I'll switch to just running. Doing delivery and driving in the Portland metro traffic I absolutely want visibility, and runners would be fine. Thanks for the info!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    For daylight foul weather I'll often use my running lights. If the streetlights are on I'll turn on my headlights. Otherwise I keep my lights off to save fuel and bulbs.

Ohio law says to turn on headlights if it's raining. Wipers on? Headlights on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    But I didn't know about the AMPS and MPG. Maybe I'll switch to just running. Doing delivery and driving in the Portland metro traffic I absolutely want visibility, and runners would be fine. Thanks for the info!
    Maybe you should consider using high-quality LED bulbs. Don't go cheap - it'll cost you in the end.

My advice? Switch when they burn out. Don't buy LED bulbs and store them until you need them - you might not need them for awhile and if there's a problem you'll be beyond the return window.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Arizona doesn't really have weather beyond "clear, hot and dry" so I only have my headlights on when it's actually dusk/dark. The LED running lights that the GT trim has aren't really that bright during the day so I don't bother with them, but if there's rain or a dust storm I'll turn on the headlights for visibility.

Whenever I get around to upgrading the projectors in my headlights, I'll probably do the joey mod and also swap out the LEDs (or the resistors if that's the case). There's no driver or fancy logic on them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    For daylight foul weather I'll often use my running lights. If the streetlights are on I'll turn on my headlights. Otherwise I keep my lights off to save fuel and bulbs.

Ohio law says to turn on headlights if it's raining. Wipers on? Headlights on.
    I like the wipers/headlights law, but the majority of the states don't have it. I recommend that practice to all of my driving students, even though it's not mandatory in Wisconsin.

List of 18 states with the wipers/headlights law are
    https://www.everblades.com/blog/head...-know-the-law/

I only use headlights when needed (dawn, dusk, night, fog, rain, snow, etc....).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I have to cycle my wipers more than once running lights come on.
    Headlights come on once I hit the minimum intermittent interval, assuming in daytime.

IMO, based on your pic I'd have running lights on too. But, if there was a grassy median my lights would remain off.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice! I like the general guidelines.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)