Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the manual 5 speed be Flat Towed?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Can the manual 5 speed be Flat Towed?

I have a 2022 with the CVT and I know that it cannot be flat towed.
    I'm purchasing a motorhome and if the 5 speed can be flat towed I will be ordering one.
    If so, do you know where a person can find the towing equipment for it?

thank you.

I guess it depends on who you ask, here's a thread from 9 years ago https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...owing-a-Mirage
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-07-2022 at 09:35 PM. Reason: removed pointless words
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They really haven't changed much so I'll probably go with no. https://www.etrailer.com/question-279311.html

Edit: hang on, that doesn't specify cvt or 5 speed. Still looking.
    What does the owners manual say? That'd be the easiest/quickest answer.

I guess it depends on who you ask, here's a thread from 9 years ago https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...owing-a-Mirage
    My 2017 manual doesn't address it. It only says if needs towed, use a professional tow truck, then illustrates 4 ways to tow, none of which are flat towing.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    My 2017 manual doesn't address it. It only says if needs towed, use a professional tow truck, then illustrates 4 ways to tow, none of which are flat towing.
    I fixed my post. I'm to lazy to look in the manual. I just looked on the googles but it often more wronger.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I fixed my post. I'm to lazy to look in the manual. I just looked on the googles but it often more wronger.
    I remember Saturn's were very popular with the RV crowd. Something different about those manuals that allowed 4 wheel flat towing in neutral...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lbutter View Post
    I have a 2022 with the CVT and I know that it cannot be flat towed.
    I'm purchasing a motorhome and if the 5 speed can be flat towed I will be ordering one.
    If so, do you know where a person can find the towing equipment for it?

thank you.
    Not to sound Stoopid, but if you have a CVT Mirage & can afford a Motorhome & the Fuel to run it, why not just get a car dolly, put the front wheels of the CVT Mirage on the dolly & drive anywhere you want??? It's a lot cheeper then getting a new 5 speed Mirage & easier to use if you want to park the Motorhome & drive around town.... Sorry, Just wondering??? My Stoopid Thoughts...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-08-2022),Top_Fuel (06-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The (2015) owner's manual doesn't specifically list "flat towing" as an an approved method. You can see below where it is saying..."Hey...don't tow a CVT with the drive wheels on the ground." ...but they don't say that for a manual transmission car.

Here are the only pages from the 2015 Owner's manual where towing is mentioned...

Name:  towing_1.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  Towing_2.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  70.7 KB

I'm sure a 5-speed can be flat towed. They just don't want to say it in the owner's manual. Just like they say on another page "This car is absolutely not rated to tow anything"...but people put hitches on them and drag small trailers around with them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lbutter View Post
    ...if the 5 speed can be flat towed I will be ordering one.
    Be aware that a new manual transmission Mirage is pretty rare these days. I just looked on the Mitsubishicars.com website and I only see 30 in the entire country right now. You can always ask a dealer if it is possible to order one...but I don't think anyone here has ever done that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

daleWV (06-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Not to sound Stoopid, but if you have a CVT Mirage & can afford a Motorhome & the Fuel to run it, why not just get a car dolly, put the front wheels of the CVT Mirage on the dolly & drive anywhere you want??? It's a lot cheeper then getting a new 5 speed Mirage & easier to use if you want to park the Motorhome & drive around town.... Sorry, Just wondering??? My Stoopid Thoughts...
    I had the same thought. You wouldn't need the most heavy duty two wheel car dolly to tug a Mirage, and the dolly comes with the lights & would seem more secure to tow to me.

Are miles racked up on a Mirage if it is towed? I ask, because I don't know. If so, a car dolly wouldn't add mileage to your odometer.

Buying a dolly would be cheaper than buying an extra Mirage, too!

https://towbetterdolly.com/car-tow-d...RoCzAwQAvD_BwE

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

klroger (06-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The (2015) owner's manual doesn't specifically list "flat towing" as an an approved method. You can see below where it is saying..."Hey...don't tow a CVT with the drive wheels on the ground." ...but they don't say that for a manual transmission car.

Here are the only pages from the 2015 Owner's manual where towing is mentioned...

Name:  towing_1.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  Towing_2.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  70.7 KB

I'm sure a 5-speed can be flat towed. They just don't want to say it in the owner's manual. Just like they say on another page "This car is absolutely not rated to tow anything"...but people put hitches on them and drag small trailers around with them anyway.

Be aware that a new manual transmission Mirage is pretty rare these days. I just looked on the Mitsubishicars.com website and I only see 30 in the entire country right now. You can always ask a dealer if it is possible to order one...but I don't think anyone here has ever done that.

Thanks for adding the picture to what I already posted from the manual.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I can't think of a reason a manual Mirage could not be flat towed. People used to do it with Geo Metros all the time, and the Mirage is only slightly more high tech.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-08-2022)