Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil change nightmare

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Oil change nightmare

I have been wrenching on cars for nearly 50 years. I just changed the oil in my 2018 SE for the first time today. My dealer did the first 4 for free. Yikes. Who designed these things? It took me an hour to remove the stone guard and plastic brush guard, find a filter wrench that I could get around the filter, I had to use a open end wrench to turn my filter wrench because there isn’t enough room for a 3/8” driver, and then I had to fight the old filter out, squeeze the Fram 7317 filter into the very tiny spot and then put all that back together. I mean, on a car that took 20 minutes to do a complete rotor and brake replacement, just seems stupid crazy hard to change the oil filter... anyone have any suggestions tricks or hacks to actually make this easier

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    I have been wrenching on cars for nearly 50 years. I just changed the oil in my 2018 SE for the first time today. My dealer did the first 4 for free. Yikes. Who designed these things? It took me an hour to remove the stone guard and plastic brush guard, find a filter wrench that I could get around the filter, I had to use a open end wrench to turn my filter wrench because there isn’t enough room for a 3/8” driver, and then I had to fight the old filter out, squeeze the Fram 7317 filter into the very tiny spot and then put all that back together. I mean, on a car that took 20 minutes to do a complete rotor and brake replacement, just seems stupid crazy hard to change the oil filter... anyone have any suggestions tricks or hacks to actually make this easier
    I change my own oil every 5,000 miles, & my 2017 Mirage has 31,000 miles on it now.

I use the proper oil filter socket (65 mm & 14 flutes) & 3/8" ratchet. I remove the oil filter standing up. I reach around the radiator hose with both hands. I can manipulate things very easily this way. I may use a short extension on the socket, but I don't remember now.

Of all the vehicles I have owned the Mirage is the third for easiest oil filter to remove.
    2011 Forester is number 1. It's on top next to the oil fill spot.
    Past 1990 Ford Festiva was number 2. Easily removed while standing, too.
    Past 2000 Honda CR-V is last place. It was on the back side of the engine and very awkward to reach.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-15-2019 at 04:49 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The best advice I can give you is to install your oil filter by hand. You must put some oil on the rubber seal before installing it. If you don't, you'll need a wrench to get it off the next time. Do not crank it on with a ton of force. It isn't going anywhere. I am able to remove the oil filter (by hand) from above when doing oil changes now.

The only time I ever needed a filter wrench was to remove the factory-installed filter...which is probably installed without oil on the seal and is cranked on with waaay too much force.

You don't need to remove any shield under the car to change the oil. When the oil drips out of the filter area, it will fall through a relief designed into shield.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-24-2020 at 12:00 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I use the proper oil filter socket (65 mm & 14 flutes)
    If you are going to use a filter wrench, that is absolutely the best one to use!

HERE are a few more details about that tool.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-23-2020 at 11:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I can do an oil change on my Mirage in about ten minutes. I don't remove any splash guards, I don't use a filter wrench.

The factory filter can be a bear to get off, but if you need a filter wrench to get subsequent filters removed then they are being installed too tightly. Snug plus about 1/4 of a turn is all you need, and don't forget to wipe some oil on the gasket to keep it from baking itself onto the block.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-16-2019),Loren (12-16-2019),Marklovski (12-16-2019),Top_Fuel (01-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I can do an oil change on my Mirage in about ten minutes. I don't remove any splash guards, I don't use a filter wrench.

The factory filter can be a bear to get off, but if you need a filter wrench to get subsequent filters removed then they are being installed too tightly. Snug plus about 1/4 of a turn is all you need, and don't forget to wipe some oil on the gasket to keep it from baking itself onto the block.
    These are all good suggestions, too! I would have never removed the factory filter without the proper socket, however. I like removing it from top. The ratchet/oil filter socket allows me to do the job standing up. I do find it a bit difficult to hand crank it from that position. With the ratchet/socket it's super simple. I also have an assortment of oil sockets. Changing oil for me includes motorcycles, ATV, UTV, riding lawnmower, log splitter, and whatever else I may have in my garage or storage shed. Thus, I have these items anyways. The proper oil filter socket is cheap, & I use them on everything. That doesn't mean that I over crank oil filters on, however. I would rather have it on a bit to tight than to loose, but that's my preference.

The one vehicle that lost its oil filter at a summer job I had one year lasted about 2 miles down the road before the engine was destroyed. The insurance company of quick lube place paid for the engine replacement. It's was the vehicle's 1st oil change when this happened, too. Basically, a new SUV.

Edit to this post: Putting an oil filter on to tight can be as bad as to loose. The quick lube place at fault blamed their worker for cranking on the filter to tight and stripping the treads on the filter. Who knows if that was true or not? They were still at fault, because the event happened after leaving their business with the vehicle.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-15-2019 at 04:55 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep. 10 minutes. I don't jack up the car or anything. Fumoto Valve and hand-tight filter from above.
    (blank signature)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-16-2019),Loren (12-16-2019),Marklovski (12-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    These are all good suggestions, too! I would have never removed the factory filter without the proper socket, however. I like removing it from top. The ratchet/oil filter socket allows me to do the job standing up. I do find it a bit difficult to hand crank it from that position. With the ratchet/socket it's super simple. I also have an assortment of oil sockets. Changing oil for me includes motorcycles, ATV, UTV, riding lawnmower, log splitter, and whatever else I may have in my garage or storage shed. Thus, I have these items anyways. The proper oil filter socket is cheap, & I use them on everything. That doesn't mean that I over crank oil filters on, however. I would rather have it on a bit to tight than to loose, but that's my preference.

The one vehicle that lost its oil filter at a summer job I had one year lasted about 2 miles down the road before the engine was destroyed. The insurance company of quick lube place paid for the engine replacement. It's was the vehicle's 1st oil change when this happened, too. Basically, a new SUV.
    Doesn't the Fram filter have that grippy coating on it? I have to admit to having slender arms, but it is fairly easy to just reach down with my right hand and spin the filter off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Yep. 10 minutes. I don't jack up the car or anything. Fumoto Valve and hand-tight filter from above.
    I am installing a Fumoto at my next oil change. Had one on my Geo Metro, and it was great!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Doesn't the Fram filter have that grippy coating on it? I have to admit to having slender arms, but it is fairly easy to just reach down with my right hand and spin the filter off.
    I'm not saying it can't be done either. I am not a small guy. I twist it on by hand, but snug it up with the socket. Since it's going to drip some oil regardless, it's nice doing it from top for that reason, too.

The Fumoto oil drain valve is nice. I've been changing my oil oil for decades, and this is the first time that I have used one. If you rack up the miles and change your own oil, it's a good investment.