Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil change nightmare

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I am installing a Fumoto at my next oil change. Had one on my Geo Metro, and it was great!
    One of the best investments!

(blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Proper filter wrench ordered. None of the video's I watch showed the removal from the top. So I just assumed it came out from the bottom. Lesson learned!! I have 31,000 miles on my 2018. Oil has been changed several times, but by the dealer. The filter was way over tightened.. But coming at it from the top will make it much easier!!
    Thank you to everyone. Such a easy thing with so much bad info out there on it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    I have been wrenching on cars for nearly 50 years. I just changed the oil in my 2018 SE for the first time today. My dealer did the first 4 for free. Yikes. Who designed these things? It took me an hour to remove the stone guard and plastic brush guard, find a filter wrench that I could get around the filter, I had to use a open end wrench to turn my filter wrench because there isn’t enough room for a 3/8” driver, and then I had to fight the old filter out, squeeze the Fram 7317 filter into the very tiny spot and then put all that back together. I mean, on a car that took 20 minutes to do a complete rotor and brake replacement, just seems stupid crazy hard to change the oil filter... anyone have any suggestions tricks or hacks to actually make this easier
    I felt the same way. I do all my own maintenance ( toys & truck) so I mounted a remote filter on the firewall & since i had the vacuum extractor already the oil gets pulled out through the dipstick tube.
    Before I bought my house in the woods I did all my work in the open in all weather so this mod kept me off the cold snow, now it's just easier.....
    There's a sticky on it. http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/4062
    Last edited by strawboss; 12-15-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: to add a link

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Proper filter wrench ordered. None of the video's I watch showed the removal from the top. So I just assumed it came out from the bottom. Lesson learned!! I have 31,000 miles on my 2018. Oil has been changed several times, but by the dealer. The filter was way over tightened.. But coming at it from the top will make it much easier!!
    Thank you to everyone. Such a easy thing with so much bad info out there on it.

I open my Fumoto drain valve & let it drain while I remove the oil filter from above.
    I use a rag to wipe off the little drain pan (nice little feature actually) before adding the new oil filter
    Lightly oil the new oil filter gasket before adding the replacement one.
    By time I am done changing filters, it's time to close the valve underneath & refill with oil.

To avoid any mess, I use two cheap oil drain pans (plastic kitty litter boxes or dish washing tub). While one tub is catching the drain oil, the other one catches the oil that drips from the oil filter. I just do this to save a little time and give it more time to drain at the same time.

I am not sharing anything new that most of us don't already know, but this may be helpful to someone doing a job like this for the first time. It's nice to have the oil filter socket on hand. It's a bummer to drain the oil & then find out you can't get the oil filter off with just your hand. There's also not a lot of room to crank on it by hand unless you have skinny arms.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm in the change the filter from the top and drain the oil without even jacking the car up camp. When I had the suspension set super low, I had to put it up on ramps to get the oil drain plug.

Super easy to change the oil on this car!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I have been wrenching on cars for nearly 50 years. I just changed the oil in my 2018 SE for the first time today. My dealer did the first 4 for free. Yikes. Who designed these things? It took me an hour to remove the stone guard and plastic brush guard, find a filter wrench that I could get around the filter, I had to use a open end wrench to turn my filter wrench because there isn’t enough room for a 3/8” driver, and then I had to fight the old filter out, squeeze the Fram 7317 filter into the very tiny spot and then put all that back together. I mean, on a car that took 20 minutes to do a complete rotor and brake replacement, just seems stupid crazy hard to change the oil filter... anyone have any suggestions tricks or hacks to actually make this easier
    1. Don't forget there are different length filters for the Mirage. Longer filters makes a more difficult fit. Maybe try a shorter filter?
    2. Hand tighten ¾ turn past gasket contact is the typical filter manufacturer recommendation. I use no filter tool.
    3. I leave the plastic tray alone.

It's easy to make things more complicated than necessary.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-16-2019)

Having a rad support thats pushed back a few inches doesn't make things any easier either.
    Like this one does. The rad hose is pushed up tight against the filter. But has a clean car fax........https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...9675?undefined
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    1. Don't forget there are different length filters for the Mirage. Longer filters makes a more difficult fit. Maybe try a shorter filter?
    2. Hand tighten ¾ turn past gasket contact is the typical filter manufacturer recommendation. I use no filter tool.
    3. I leave the plastic tray alone.

It's easy to make things more complicated than necessary.
    I used a Fram TG7313. Other than Mitsubishi direct, which filters are shorter that the 7313? FYI, the Tough Guard (TG) was the only filter available at any of my local parts stores. All other filters needed to be ordered and since I had to do a front brake job and had the car in the shop, I didn't have time to actually order one in advance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I used a Fram TG7313. Other than Mitsubishi direct, which filters are shorter that the 7313?
    I made a post with some example filter sizes some time ago:

Baldwin filter data

You can burn a lot of time chasing this stuff down... I think the B1400 is similar in size to the OEM one from the factory. Longer filters hold more stuff, right? Maybe it's not a big deal if you simply keep up with oil changes.

FYI, the Tough Guard (TG) was the only filter available at any of my local parts stores. All other filters needed to be ordered and since I had to do a front brake job and had the car in the shop, I didn't have time to actually order one in advance.
    Hey, any port in a storm, right? If the filter fits, use it - that's what I always say lolol. I think that's a fairly popular filter around these parts.
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-17-2019 at 02:08 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I only own that type of wrench and I was even able to remove the 1st time FACTORY FILTER by myself on the first oil change (Although on that time I removed the entire plastic bottom panel (Because I did not know any better).

Now I do everything from the top and no longer remove the bottom panel with all the pop-screw-fasteners anymore. Like others said just hand tighten it and dont forget to lube the top rim of the filter using your finger.

Here is a fun hack that may come in handy: Take your mouse pad and use the underside of it (the rubber) to grip the filter and if you are strong enough then the added "grip" might make all the difference in getting it off. I taught same trick to my Grandma and now she is able to use a mousepad to take the top off a Heinz Ketchup or a pickle jar. The hack works good for plumbing jobs as well when you have a really tight fastener that you want to loosen. (Such as when taking the pipe apart underneath the kitchen sink to unclog the drain).

That rubber mousepad will give a scrawny nerd the grip strength of "Hercules" with the added GRIP it provides.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)