Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oil change nightmare

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I'm still confused why we're using wrenches at all?
    Didn't I just answer that in the previous post?

Due the location of the oil filter (in relation to the radiator hose) I can't tighten it. My ability to grip it well enough to get it off is even worst. A short handle ratchet and socket makes it so simple. I already have these tools. I don't mind walking over to my tool box and getting them. I rather use the tool and work from the top (standing up) than be under the car & reach up from the bottom.

If hand tightening/removing works for you, that's great!

There's no easier filter to reach than a Subaru. My last three oil filters have been free compliments of Subaru. First one was a free oil consumption test. Second one came with the free short block replacement. Third one was a result of the new engine having to pulled out again to fix a head gasket that was leaking (not done right during installation). I just went out the garage tonight. I couldn't twist the oil filter off by hand. When it comes time to change oil, I could use my strap oil wrench, my socket wrench, a large pipe wrench, or just jab a large screw driver through it & twist. I'll use the socket. It's paid for, simple, & will get the job done.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Didn't I just answer that in the previous post?

Due the location of the oil filter (in relation to the radiator hose) I can't tighten it. My ability to grip it well enough to get it off is even worst. A short handle ratchet and socket makes it so simple. I already have these tools. I don't mind walking over to my tool box and getting them. I rather use the tool and work from the top (standing up) than be under the car & reach up from the bottom.

If hand tightening/removing works for you, that's great!

There's no easier filter to reach than a Subaru. My last three oil filters have been free compliments of Subaru. First one was a free oil consumption test. Second one came with the free short block replacement. Third one was a result of the new engine having to pulled out again to fix a head gasket that was leaking (not done right during installation). I just went out the garage tonight. I couldn't twist the oil filter off by hand. When it comes time to change oil, I could use my strap oil wrench, my socket wrench, a large pipe wrench, or just jab a large screw driver through it & twist. I'll use the socket. It's paid for, simple, & will get the job done.
    with my now damaged dominant hand applying torque is all but impossible, even the slight amount required for an oil filter

With physical therapy there's a chance I regain my strength but the mobility of that joint is gone, likely for good. Hello wrench, strap, screwdriver, whatever works....
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why not use a simple strap wrench?
    I'm still confused why we're using wrenches at all?
    I think some folks need a little leverage. I see what you're saying though. Unless there is some problem on the filter gasket mating surface (damage, contamination, etc.) there should be no need for tools as they would make over-tightening more likely, which could cause problems taking the filter off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (12-21-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Once the initial overtightened OEM filter has been replaced, it should be no problem to easily remove and replace the filter by hand!
    If you want to do it the super luxurious way, get a filter cap for a few bucks, and changing the filter will become fully effortless.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The mirage is the easiest oil change I've ever done. You don't have to jack the car up or use ramps. I just slide the pan under. Crack fill cap for faster drain, lay on ground, reach under and remove the drain bolt. From above, push coolant hose down with left hand gently, loosen filter with right and wait for oil to finish draining. Repeat for replacement of filter. Lay on ground and replace drain bolt. Add about 3 quarts and check level. Adjust from there.

I just changed my Mirage and my girlfriends s60 at the same time and I was done with mine before hers was done draining. Like most cars, you have to put the Volvo in the air a bit. It also has an under tray that has to be removed so ramps are preferred. You have to have the correct filter socket and wobble extension to take the filter cap off. You also need to put a rag or something around the housing so you don't get freaking oil everywhere.

Last edited by Wubbalubbadubdub; 01-14-2020 at 03:02 PM.