Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrosion protection (dealership says aftermarket treatment may void warranty!)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Corrosion protection (dealership says aftermarket treatment may void warranty!)

I'm getting ready to sign for the keys for a 2023 tomorrow, and the dealer talked to me today about the corrosion protection warranty. I was a little surprised to hear that if I get the vehicle undercoated myself, Mitsubishi may void the ENTIRE warranty if it is found that the corrosion protection causes an electrical issue, and instead offer their own 10 year Mitsubishi specific corrosion warranty product. Anyone else have thoughts or experience on this warranty? It's about an extra $1200 for the 10 year protection, which is actually a little less than the cost of getting it undercoated every year for 10 years...so it's not bad, but I don't necessarily want to pay for it all upfront either.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t_c_c View Post
    I was a little surprised to hear that if I get the vehicle undercoated myself, Mitsubishi may void the ENTIRE warranty if it is found that the corrosion protection causes an electrical issue, and instead offer their own 10 year Mitsubishi specific corrosion warranty product.
    It sounds like a scare tactic to get another 1200 dollars from you, same as Nitrogen in your tires. If that is the case, 2/3 of the cars on the road would have no warranty.. Chances are, your preferred undercoat (I use Krown, myself) would help prevent electrical issues, not cause them... Dealers will tell you AMAZING things when your sitting in the F&I office...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-07-2023),MetroMPG (08-31-2023),Top_Fuel (08-31-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    One thing is for sure...if they use salt on the roads where you live then you need to do something. And by something I mean an oil-based rustproofing spray, not the old-school tar/rubberized undercoating. If you don't do anything, your car may look like THIS in a few years.

In my opinion, I would forget the dealer and just pay for something like Krown or a similar product. This stuff works. If you're super-cheap, just get it done every other year and use a $10 spray can of the stuff in the off years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-31-2023),MightyMirageMpg (08-31-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 680 Posts
    On mine the underside was steam cleaned first for getting rid of any wax, then the entire underside in particular including the axle bodies and the exhaust were undercoated and painted using a paint brush. The reinforcement under the front and rear cladding likewise. Rattle-can graffiti paint is no good because the coating is much too thin. A good product is Hammerite rust blocker as the undercoat, with Hammerite metal paint on top. There are many other suitable brands. You could ask a professional painter what they use for bridges, steel ships, etc.

All cavities received rattle-can cavity wax. The doors in the seams only. Paint and wax was an entire days work.
    Today, the car is nine years old and has absolutely zero rust. I think it was the best thing to do. The other, but inferior method would be to have oil-based goo smeared on it. The earlier you do it, the better. Doing nothing is the worst thing to do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,041 Posts
    If I lived up there, I'd probably avoid most anything a dealer recommended. Any electrical problems you may get from undercoating is going to be minor in comparison to having the underbody rust. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with those issues. I lived in Michigan for a few years, and they salted a lot. I guess if I had stayed there longer I would have had to become familiar with these undercoatings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

t c c - where in Canada do you live?

I agree the dealership is just trying to scare you into parting with another $1200 (plus tax, don't forget!). Don't do it.

Depending on where you live & what kind of roads you drive on, Krown every other year with touch-ups in between will be fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So just as an update to my original post, I did decline the corrosion protection. I am in eastern Canada (all the way East, close to the ocean), and rust is just part of life here. Corrosion protection as a topic seems to bring out more opinions than US politics so it's hard to know what is legit and what is not really. Not sure what I will do yet, but will probably put something on the car eventually.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t_c_c For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-01-2023),MetroMPG (09-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    ...will probably put something on the car eventually.
    If you can't make up your mind right now, just pay the $139(?) and have it done at Krown before the snow starts falling. They can treat your whole car in an hour.

I don't care if you spray the car with peanut butter...just get something on it before they bust out the road salt up there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

7milesout (09-01-2023),MetroMPG (09-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you can't make up your mind right now, just pay the $139(?) and have it done at Krown before the snow starts falling. They can treat your whole car in an hour.

I don't care if you spray the car with peanut butter...just get something on it before they bust out the road salt up there.
    That's nothing but solid advice. Sounds to me like that's $139 WELL SPENT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So just as an update to my original post, I did decline the corrosion protection. I am in eastern Canada (all the way East, close to the ocean)

Where at? I'm in NS and also just bought a 23