Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Enhancement Requests: how would you improve the Mirage?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Altough I probable have the Euro final drive ratio for better highway economy, I would still like a 6-speed manual, or a taller 5th gear.

The fuel consumption increases substantially above 100 kmh / 3000rpm.

Does anybody know if this this the engine speed where MIVEC kicks in?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zefke View Post
    Altough I probable have the Euro final drive ratio for better highway economy, I would still like a 6-speed manual, or a taller 5th gear.

The fuel consumption increases substantially above 100 kmh / 3000rpm.

Does anybody know if this this the engine speed where MIVEC kicks in?
    Mivec "kicks in" at 4500 rpm from what I gather.

Mivec

I don't believe the current generation of MIVEC "kicks in" at a specific RPM. It's continuously variable, not a dual profile on/off approach (the old MIVEC used to be) like Honda's VTEC which definitely "kicks in".

See: Video/pics: New Mirage MIVEC continuously variable valve control mechanism

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I don't believe the current generation of MIVEC "kicks in" at a specific RPM. It's continuously variable, not a dual profile on/off approach (the old MIVEC used to be) like Honda's VTEC which definitely "kicks in".

The new gen lancer, asx, outlander all use a mivec that can be heard. May not be as loud but my car can faintly be heard. Maybe cause I have aftermarket intake which is a lot louder.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Block heaters run about $200, it seems, so that is a decent addition.
    Did your Mirage not come with a block heater? Mine did, but I have the SE with convenience package...maybe it's included with one of those?

Side note:
    I would add a bit more sound damping/insulation.
    Add a center armrest/console, and put the e-brake at your left foot.
    Probably some other stuff, too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Of course fuel consumption increases at higher speeds, but still!

If I look at the increase above 3000 rpm it looks like something changes! Maybe its just imagination!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Taller 5th gear, real time MPG, outside air temp

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    4B11T ... ahhh who am i kidding haha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting discussion on MiVEC. I drive a '08 Lancer GTS with the automatic CVT MiVEC motor. I don't know when "MiVEC" kicks in, but I do know that when I "punch it", the motor seems ta kind of scroll up louder then normal, then, as the car picks up speed (which it does quite nicely with the 152 horse 4 cyl. engine) the sound does this beautiful thing where it slowly sprolls out and purrs kind of loudly for a bit. Then it quiets down when you hit 50mph and rising. I tell you, Mitsubishi does engines so very well!

I get a true "buzz" when punching it with this car. But in true 'D' automatic mode the engine is driven automatically and the CVT unit is not operating, if I understand the technology correctly. I pop my gearshift over to 'CVT' and then the car uses that technology to change "gears" on the car, although there is no clutch involved. You can, however, change gears in my rig with the paddle shifters, 6 "forward gears" and 6 "reverse" gears. The technology works great on downhills, as you can use it to slow your Lancer GTS down without using your brake.

Unbelievably, I now have 122,733 miles on my Lancer GTS, and I have never needed any brake work! I have them checked every few months, too, so I'm not on metal ta metal. The Lancer GTS' have 4-wheel disc brakes, BTW.
    Last edited by Mitsuman; 04-15-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timbiza View Post
    outside air temp
    For sure. And somewhere on the MID that you can always see (not have to cycle through to get, like on my smart fortwo).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)