Thread: New owner (17 Mirage CVT)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New owner (17 Mirage CVT)

Hi just bought a 17 Mirage with 1.2 CVT. Love this car but the stock rims and tires 165/65 r 14 seemed too thin and turning corners was always scary so I upgraded my rims to some Enkei 92 aluminum rims with 195/55 r 15 but now it just seems like my engine is revenge higher at highway speeds and find it hard to keep it at 65-70 mph. Is this normal , will the new rims effect the transmission/engines lifespan? Thank you in advance?

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Skylerholifield View Post
    I upgraded my rims to some Enkei 92 aluminum rims with 195/55 r 15 but now it just seems like my engine is revenge higher at highway speeds
    Check:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Your new wheels/tires are actually under-reporting your speed compared to the stock size. Driving at an indicated 70 MPH, you're actually going about 3 MPH faster than you were on the stock wheels/tires. Not a huge difference, but it does means higher power requirement, so higher RPM.

There's probably also higher rolling resistance and aero drag with the upgraded wheel & tire which adds a bit more to power requirements at highway speeds.

Again, not a huge amount, but it adds up.

find it hard to keep it at 65-70 mph. Is this normal
    Nope. That's weird. The wheel/tire change wouldn't have made THAT big a difference. If the car won't go faster than that, something else is going on.

will the new rims effect the transmission/engines lifespan?
    Very slightly higher load maybe equals very slightly higher wear. But not enough to worry about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)