Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Weekend with a Mirage Rental

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    You can get a FWD car to oversteer. Quite confusing the first time it happens.
    I think that was proven by the yaris vids a page or two back... However, what's the point in oversteering a fwd car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not sure there is a point. I just wanted it to feel a bit more neutral on corners. This is the first vehicle I have owned that will oversteer.

My Cherokee , oddly enough, is the worst for understeering. Heavy cast iron engine in front of the axle.
    Last edited by M-88; 05-21-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Are you sure you were pressing the power button correctly? I thought mine wasn't working either after a quick press ... then I found out that I had to hold it down for about 3 seconds to actually turn it off.
    You are so right. I went back to Budget and tried it, and indeed, you have to hold it down for about three seconds. Very odd, but at least I now know that it wasn't a defect

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    PS: enjoyed your review. Really thorough. Bump this thread when you post on your site, please.
    Hey Metro, all done! It's up and running:

http://roorentalcarreviews.com/ and specifically http://roorentalcarreviews.com/2014/...esponsibility/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to festiboi For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-23-2014)

Thanks! Heading over to have a look now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Nice work - I pretty much agree with your conclusion:

If the company would just improve on some of the basics; namely the steering and handling issues, it would be close to the perfect little car.
    Although it's also probably safe to say that the average Mirage buyer doesn't care about these things. Only the "enthusiast" types do.

Unfortunately, "enthusiasts" tend to self-select for jobs as auto journalists, which is why the car has had a harsh reception from more than a few reviewers. If regular car buyers cared about the things journalists do, the Mazda 2 would be the best selling subcompact instead of one of the worst.

In Canada, the newly launched $10k Nissan Micra was specifically equipped with front & rear stabilizer bars (the only country where that's the case), plus a revised steering ratio. And it's a decent little handler. No sports car, but reviewers are saying positive things about its handling/fun-to-drive factor, where practically none praised the Mirage in that respect.

So, if you were Mitsubishi, would you spend the extra money to tighten up the handling to satisfy a tiny proportion of your buyers, plus the reviewers? Or hold the course? How much extra would it cost buyers who don't really care?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

festiboi (05-23-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice work - I pretty much agree with your conclusion:
    Although it's also probably safe to say that the average Mirage buyer doesn't care about these things. Only the "enthusiast" types do.
    Thanks Darin, and you are right. The average Mirage owner won't push their car to these limits. But to be fair, I try to put every car, even if it's a minivan, through the same kind of tests so the assessment is equal across the board. Some cars can be surprising at how well they do at handling, so it's worth trying it out. As much as I like the Mirage, I can't say that it has great handling.

If regular car buyers cared about the things journalists do, the Mazda 2 would be the best selling subcompact instead of one of the worst
    Funny you should mention that; I did test a Mazda 2 last year and hated the thing. http://roorentalcarreviews.com/2013/...eres-the-beef/ Although it was fun around corners, the rest of the car was dreadful. Loud, noisy, cheap-feeling, cramped, low fuel economy, and a poor value; the base model 2 I drove was $16,165. Aside from its cornering, I think it's a worse car than a Mirage and gave it my lowest score ever: 1.5/5.0. Enthusiasts may love it, but I try to think like the average consumer and ask myself if A) would I want to spend my hard-earned money on this car? and B) would I want to drive cross-country in this car? The simple answer to those is "no" and "hell no". The low sales numbers don't surprise me at all. There's more to a car than good handling, and the 2 just doesn't cut the mustard. It's always a mystery why journalists love it so much, I ask myself "did they really sit in it?"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree. I am impressed with the interior fit and finish every time I drive my Mirage. The competition looked cheap to say the least.

One of the hidden benefits I have found in the Mirage is the amount of front seat driver and passenger room. You don't feel like you are driving a sub compact in the Mirage. I've driven mid sized cars that felt cramped by comparison.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    I agree. I am impressed with the interior fit and finish every time I drive my Mirage. The competition looked cheap to say the least.

One of the hidden benefits I have found in the Mirage is the amount of front seat driver and passenger room. You don't feel like you are driving a sub compact in the Mirage. I've driven mid sized cars that felt cramped by comparison.
    Have you been in a Ford Fiesta? It's a subcompact, but one size larger than a Mirage/Spark. I can only fit in the front passenger seat. The steering wheel is too low and close to the seat for me to drive and the back seats are way too small. Yet, I can fit in all seats, comfortably, in a Spark, Versa, Mirage (three cheapest cars on US market).

The Spark has a nice interior, but there's too much going on for me. The mirage is nice and conservative.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    Have you been in a Ford Fiesta? It's a subcompact, but one size larger than a Mirage/Spark. I can only fit in the front passenger seat. The steering wheel is too low and close to the seat for me to drive and the back seats are way too small. Yet, I can fit in all seats, comfortably, in a Spark, Versa, Mirage (three cheapest cars on US market).

The Spark has a nice interior, but there's too much going on for me. The mirage is nice and conservative.
    You are so right M-88. The Fiesta is just horribly cramped. I naturally wanted to buy one as my next car, as I've been a Ford loyalist, but I just can't find a comfortable seating position. My right knee is rubbing against the protruding console, my left arm is scrunched up against the tiny armrest on the door, and my left leg is pushed against a cupholder that juts out into the driver's footwell. The back seat is a joke, especially considering it's a size larger than a Mirage. It's a terrible design.

Too bad, the rest of the car is pretty decent to drive.