Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I just reset my trip odometer A every time I fill up. Next time I fill up, I take that new number and divide it by what it takes to fill up my Mirage. Basically, the same thing you did to calculate 46.01 mpg.

I never bother to look at the dash reading all that much. I am very happy with the 5-speed manual mpg.

Last edited by Mark; 01-15-2020 at 01:09 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

highwire (01-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMirage View Post
    The mpg reading can be manipulated.
    True!

However my latest fill was 64 MPG US, so high 60-MPG individual trips (as in that photo) aren't impossible. I'd expect to see low 70-MPG trips in summer conditions.

That said, the factory gauge has been varied between 4-8% optimistic of actual MPG calculated at the pump.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    but knowing my entire tank average between fillups appears to give a better average.
    It does help to motivate an eco-driver to know what the tank number is. I'm sure you know your car has a second MPG gauge that you can use to monitor tank MPG:
    Thread: Your Mirage has TWO fuel economy gauges, (A & B) in the multi information display

Knowing there are several variables- oil quality/level, tire pressure, I can imagine a little bit of variablity, but I expect to get at least 46mpg in the summer.
    Seems reasonable considering what you're seeing now.

Fun game, isn't it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

highwire (01-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have noticed the B guage, thank you. It is actually the same as the A guage, because I never reset them. In fact, I use the A guage because it includes decimals, so it is a little more accurate I believe than the B, which rounds to the nearest mile. They have been the same since I bought the car new.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It does help to motivate an eco-driver to know what the tank number is. I'm sure you know your car has a second MPG gauge that you can use to monitor tank MPG:
    Thread: Your Mirage has TWO fuel economy gauges, (A & B) in the multi information display

Seems reasonable considering what you're seeing now.

Fun game, isn't it?
    I have noticed the B guage, thank you. It is actually the same as the A guage, because I never reset them. In fact, I use the A guage because it includes decimals, so it is a little more accurate I believe than the B, which rounds to the nearest mile. They have been the same since I bought the car new.

The a gauge resets after 4 hrs of not driving or something like that. That is, if what I remember reading in the manual is correct..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The a gauge resets after 4 hrs of not driving or something like that. That is, if what I remember reading in the manual is correct..
    My average mpg resets after about 4 hrs of not driving. The A guage has never reset it seems. Oh well! i meant the trip meter doesn't reset.

Edit: I realize there may be an A & B guage for trip meter AND fuel economy. Maybe I missed the B economy one, but went through them all. Will need to re-read the forum and user manual to figure it out. Was a little hesitant of accidentally erasing the long term meter one is why.
    Last edited by highwire; 01-16-2020 at 02:07 AM.

That’s weird. Mine resets like it should. If I drive shut it off for 20 mins when I get back in it saves the economy for “a” but if it sits overnight it starts from scratch showing horrible economy at first. And it changes as I drive. A lot
    Attachment 16821Attachment 16822Attachment 16823

Damnit stupid sideways pics

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That’s weird. Mine resets like it should. If I drive shut it off for 20 mins when I get back in it saves the economy for “a” but if it sits overnight it starts from scratch showing horrible economy at first. And it changes as I drive. A lot
    That's exactly how mine operates too for A mpg. I will look to see if there's an option for a B economy guage where it picks up last night's fuel economy, effectively the super long term fuel economy of all the cars miles from the time it starts averaging.

Oh, well I’m probably soft in the head tonight and didn’t read your previous posts correctly. Reading is hard.