Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Aerodynamics of the new Mirage (0.27-0.31 drag coefficient varies with options)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    .. still waiting for the arrival of my VG's..

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Agree hatchback is more similar to tractor trailer or wagon. Read this:
    http://s89686473.onlinehome.us/airtabs-test.html
    so effect would be more pronounced with them at the sides?

Name:  fit-airtabs8.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  24.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Optimal VG placement depends on the depth of the boundary layer, height & angle of the VG's. You place them close to the point of separation, but far enough ahead of it that the top of the VG can mix the faster flowing air in the upper part of the layer with the slower bottom layer.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    If we were to fix it with vortex generators they would need to be installed ~12" in front of 1st gap or perhaps even more as there is a slight bend in the roof line. Unfortunately my son is categorically against VGs for aesthetic reasons (mystery to me), so I have no car to test this theory on. Have the set of EVO style VGs though.
    would this be the ideal placement of the VG's?

I need to finalize the mounting location before sticking them to the body.

Thanks for the ideas..

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    so effect would be more pronounced with them at the sides?

would this be the ideal placement of the VG's?

I need to finalize the mounting location before sticking them to the body.

Thanks for the ideas..
    1) I am not sure about sides. If you look careful Mirage A-pillars are wider than the rest of the car. This is in combination with windshield rain grooves redirects flow over the roof.

2) not sure where is the "ideal", but I would put them a few inches in front of hatch door/roof separation gap. Just like in the post #66:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

Mitz (03-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Just picked up a tidbit of info I hadn't read before: apparently the "backwards baseball cap" aero spoiler is patent-pending by Mitsu.

I assume they're referring to the spoiler - surely you can't patent a "roofline" on its own.
    I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet but here are some patents related to both the "Automobile Body" and "Rear structure of vehicle". I found them by searching for a/the noted designer of our favorite little car, Hideyasu Nakagami.

US20140077525A1 US Application
    USD664895S1 US Design Grant: Automobile body
    US8985667B2 US Grant: Rear structure of vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by US Application US20140077525A1
    A rear structure 1 of a vehicle has a high mounted stop lamp 5 provided at the rear end of a vehicle body. The rear structure is configured such that regions bilaterally outward of a region, where the high mounted stop lamp is installed, on the upper surface of the rear end are inclined more steeply than a reference plane comprising an inclined surface of a roof panel 2, and that the lower surface of the high mounted stop lamp is located above a rearward field of view from the vehicle.
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems the patent focuses more on the placement of the third brake light rather than aerodynamic advantages.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-13-2020)

I just looked it over, and I don't think you're reading it wrong. It's mostly about the brake lamp.

Know what else is interesting? After this patent, and its detailed description of optimized airflow around the 3rd brake "hump", Mitsu ended up revising the spoiler design for 2017 apparently to "correct" angles that were too steep in the original design.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    I wonder how the current design has impacted aerodynamics?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I just looked it over, and I don't think you're reading it wrong. It's mostly about the brake lamp.

Know what else is interesting? After this patent, and its detailed description of optimized airflow around the 3rd brake "hump", Mitsu ended up revising the spoiler design for 2017 apparently to "correct" angles that were too steep in the original design.
    Do you have the numbers for the G4?