Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Cant i tow with a mirage

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    Did your trailer have trailer brakes?

The older Unibody Jeeps are actually an interesting design. I've heard it called "uniframe" They are unibody, but also have a "frame" that runs front to rear.

Exactly. This makes the comparison kind of invalid. I've owned a Grand Cherokee before and while they can tow, the rear suspension is just too soft stock to do any kind of serious towing. Not to mention that with the V-8, the cooling system is barely adequate.

Another reason why the car is not rated to tow here in the U.S. is probably to do with the EPA. New vehicles must meet emmissions requirements while they tow. For example, this is why my old 4 cylinder Chevy Colorado was only rated to tow 2,000 pounds, but the 5 cylinder Colorado was rated to tow 3,500 pounds. The ONLY difference between the 2 vehicles was the motor. The 4 cylinder truck could tow 3500 pounds, but it would not meet the EPA requirements while doing so, so it had to be rated to tow less.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

The older Unibody Jeeps are actually an interesting design. I've heard it called "uniframe" They are unibody, but also have a "frame" that runs front to rear.
    No trailer brakes.

Mine has leaf springs in the back so the rear suspension is up to the task. Hopefully it will get disc brakes before too long.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I have a 4x8 trailer that weighs about 200 lbs and it folds for storage in the garage. Cost me less than $300. Fits our canoe, bicycles... Attachment 1855
    What would you say is the maximum weight you've pulled with your trailer and the mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Well, now that someone else has bumped the topic. It looks like my asinine, third-world garbage brakes had stopped working. 5 hours later, and I have asinine third world garbage brakes that kind of work again! Well only going forward and down hill. That could have affected the towing ability ...

God, I hate drum brakes.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    They make em' cause people want em'.
    There's probly a 100 companies that make rods, balls, barbells n' such to stick in holes you pierce through yer penis. Sooo... "should" you poke holes in yer penis?
    ummm... yeah, I think that voids yer warranty in both cases.
    Thanks for a good laugh!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't see where anyone has tried to tow anything yet, but I am installing one of those Curt hitches, and a small Harbor Freight trailer with a scooter on it will be pulled behind. For those concerned about cornering and stopping... well you kind of have to think about that regardless of what vehicle you are pulling, you cant just drive like nothing is back there. I am guessing total weight will be about 400lbs, but most of that will be on the trailer wheels, the tongue weight should be low, so its just going to be the momentum to be concerned about, and I have had more than 400lbs of passenger inside weighing the car down before so Im not too worried about it.. Ill let everyone know how it goes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to db1980 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-29-2015)

Thanks, db1980. Post a few pics with your trailer attached when you get it set up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    tongue weight for a new mirage is 200lbs which is 10% of towing capacity including trailer. ive got a curt hitch coming in also and will probably go with a 4x6 or 4x8 mesh trailer with out a drop gate. i would never have a harbor freight trailer when you can purchase a good trailer for under $500 that is worthy of interstate travel. drop the gates for wind drag on these cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    They make em' cause people want em'.
    There's probly a 100 companies that make rods, balls, barbells n' such to stick in holes you pierce through yer penis. Sooo... "should" you poke holes in yer penis?
    ummm... yeah, I think that voids yer warranty in both cases.
    does not void the warranty, i run a custom shop and have done work on the mitsubishi's already. not the mirage, but will soon. as long as you stay under the tow rate you will not void anything.

also you can have a dealer do an add on hitches even aftermarket as long as it is not a one off frabtication and still fall under factory warranty. just like your fog light, you can add oem lights yourself cheaper but they are not covered in the warranty because it was not listed at the time of purchase. its in your owners manual.
    Last edited by tlstreak; 07-12-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tlstreak View Post
    does not void the warranty, i run a custom shop and have done work on the mitsubishi's already. not the mirage, but will soon. as long as you stay under the tow rate you will not void anything.

also you can have a dealer do an add on hitches even aftermarket as long as it is not a one off frabtication and still fall under factory warranty. just like your fog light, you can add oem lights yourself cheaper but they are not covered in the warranty because it was not listed at the time of purchase. its in your owners manual.
    Not sure about all this. If you take your car, a car which the manufacturer expressly says should not be used for towing, in for a warranty claim because the subframe developed a crack or the body developed a tear in the structural sheet metal and the dealer sees a tow hitch on the car, I think you might run into a problem?

Sheesh...these cars seem to have enough problems with things like rear end alignment. The rear axle looks like an upside down aluminum rain gutter. The suspension is mushy, under-dampened,' and unsettled. The body rolls like hell in hard turns. The stock tires are tiny and grip-less. And this car has the tiniest rear brakes I have ever seen. Why add 500 pounds of swinging trailer to the mix???

Most cars, including other Mitsubishi models, are designed with light towing in mind and are built to accommodate it. But Mirages are SIMPLY NOT DESIGNED FOR TOWING!

Last edited by Cobrajet; 07-13-2015 at 01:32 PM.