Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roll over question

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question roll over question

I have test rove this car 2015, a few times and going 30 mph around a turn in the road it felt like the wheels where coming off the ground , is it that I used to a larger heaver car with a low center of gravity ( Leaf ) or will this car roll over easerly if you take a turn to fast
    I ned to test drive a few other sub compacts to see if it is me or the car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think its the car. It has a very soft suspension that leans heavily in corners, makes for a soft ride but a little wobbly also. I really don't think you could ever roll it unless you hit something. I would bet that you could jerk the wheel and it wouldn't roll over. I am sure that the tires would give way before you could ever roll it.

I drive a lot of rental cars for work. Always the econo compacts. Never have a mirage but everything else I have driven like a damn stunt man and they all do the same thing. Slide and slide but never roll.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have driven this car VERY fast around corners and as long as you are smooth, you just get a LOT of tire noise the faster you go until you end up with a massive amount of understeer. Changing the stock tires out with wider ones helps the car to corner faster, but in the end you will still see massive understeer at the limit. AS LONG AS YOU ARE SMOOTH. If you jerk the wheel or jam on your brakes when changing directions then you could end up with snap oversteer. I can say though that the factory stability control won't let you do too much. If you turn traction control off though you can have a LOT of fun, especially on wet roads(AWAY from others though, don't do stupid stuff where you put others at risk).
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a bro following me on his bike a couple weeks ago. We got to where we were going and he commented " Man, that thing leans on curves like a Harley! ". Of course it's the opposite of a bike when going into curves, but I knew what he ment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have gone through turns going twice the speed limit, both in stock tires and wide tires. Car is wiggly, but all 4 wheels are planted.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Here you can see the Euro NCAP ESC test. Absolutely no problem. But - what I have never noticed or seen before - both front wheels are lifted from the ground.
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 06-06-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: embedded video
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 25Plus For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (06-06-2015),DemiRage (06-14-2015),flotownj (06-06-2015),kerc (06-09-2015),MetroMPG (06-06-2015),mohammad (02-11-2022),R01k (06-10-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car has the rear sway bar, it made a huge difference. If I drove a stock mirage today I'm sure I would have no confidence in corners.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Danke, 25Plus. You could show the old Mercedes A class as an example of a car which doesn't do so well on the 'moose test'!

Mickey44: a lot of owners are adding a rear aftermarket stabilizer bar to the car to reduce lean in corners. Do a search here and you'll find a few past group buys. We will be doing more of those.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I still have to install my rear swaybar; but like I've said before, I haven't taken a fast turn and lifted a wheel just yet. The tires would lose grip before that happens. A novice driver might lose confidence in the turns because of the spring and damper settings being so soft, but it will make the turns.

I hope to go autoX with the mirage sometime this summer and hope to see a wheel or two off the ground.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Once you get the rear sway bar installed rear tire traction improves greatly, it was much more difficult for me to break loose the stock tires, which at the time I felt were holding the Mirage back in corners, I can now take corners 10% faster with the rear sway bar where before the car would be diving to the side and the tires would be screaming, now its much more difficult to get the tires to cry, its more at the "ragged edge" when they begin to cry now but cornering is much faster.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)