Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Mirage aftermarket rear anti-roll/stabilizer/sway bar, chassis braces! Ultra Racing

Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    What do you think of this style of rear sway bars? Pic is not mine just found from Thai group.

Attachment 10806

Attachment 10807
    I wish I could see how they attached the bar to the trailing axle. I tried mocking up a rear bar recently that I think may work on these things. I was figuring it would be mounted to the axle exactly like this one^ but have the end links bolt to the lower shock bolts.
    So I need to figure out how to mount bar to the axle then find some sway bar end links with a stud that points up on one end and a hole(same diameter of lower shock bolt) that is perpendicular to the stud. Kinda like this

Attachment 23168
    either that or make an L-bracket that'll be a weak link.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Ooo, what car is your test bar off? Hopefully something easy to find in junkyards.

Do it. You'll be famous!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Attachment 23169

I guess I don't really need fancy end links, decent angle iron might as lower mounts?

It'll probably take me a year of Sunday's to actually get one mocked up. Seeing how that one in the pic was mounted would probably shave off 9 months.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-31-2022 at 08:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is it not a clamp that goes around the axle, similar to Daox original clamp concept

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    Is it not a clamp that goes around the axle, similar to Daox original clamp concept
    Yeah, more than likely. The bar I want to use has to be mounted similarly to the orange bar. The other alternative is to find a different bar and mount it to the bottom of the trailing axle with some u-bolts. Unless I can find a simple way to mount the original bar I planned on using I might just have to find an alternative. I'd like to keep fabrication to a minimum.

The last few days were pretty windy, I'm sure a sway bar would help with the car being blown around like a sail boat. Last weekend was a complete write off. Hopefully I'll get to tinkering this coming one.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I was wondering why they use the spring holder for these sway bars instead of trying to use the bolt that holds in the strut. The strut bolt may let you run a sway bar that is parallel to the torsion beam and be further from the point of pivot so it may be stiffer i guess? just throwing ideas out there
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I was wondering why they use the spring holder for these sway bars instead of trying to use the bolt that holds in the strut. The strut bolt may let you run a sway bar that is parallel to the torsion beam and be further from the point of pivot so it may be stiffer i guess? just throwing ideas out there
    I assume most aftermartket rear sway bars designed for trailing axles bolt to the lower spring perch/mount just to keep it simple. There's only the two mount points that way. The way I want to try is like you described. I want to use a conventional sway bar that would mount to the trailing axle beam at two points and have the end links of the bar mount to the lower shock bolts. I can figure out the end link part pretty easily. The part I'm stuck on is how to mount the bar to the axle tube itself. There's probably a simple way that I'm not seeing....The bar I'm trying to use has to mount to the axle just like this one Attachment 23189

My first thought was just use a couple u-bolts but when you tighten them you'd crush/crumple the axle, it's pretty tinny.

I might end up trying a different bar that I can just mount to the bottom of the axle instead and just use some u-bolts to mount it. If mounted this way the axle wouldn't be kinked by u-bolts.

I'm just trying to keep it as simple, easy, cheap and strongish using easy to find off the shelf or wrecker parts.

I'm tired of getting blown around on windy days and having minivans look less dramatic while taking cloverleaf on/off ramps or traffic circles. I can't go fast in a straight line so might as well try to enjoy taking corners, besides less slowing down and speeding up = better mpg...or something.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-07-2022 at 03:23 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I like hiking a rear tire off the pavement when driving aggressively. Turning a Mirage into a tri-cycle ... now that's the way to go. If I could only figure out how to get it on 2 tires without flipping it...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    If I could only figure out how to get it on 2 tires without flipping it...
    These guys make it look easy. Just remember smafety third!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have you thought about copying the way of EF civics mount? The middle of the bar mounts to brackets bolted to the rear frame rails with end links on the LCA. That might be easier to fab and avoid attaching to the torsion beam altogether.