Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: starter problem (Mirage 1.2L CVT) - flywheel defect? Update: warranty repair

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Uh Oh... Starter engagement issue....

Last night, it was cold and rainy. Went in to start my car, clutch to the floor , hit the button and, GRIIIIINNNDDD. It didnt stop since the computer detected the engine wasnt running yet. Had to hit the button again to get it to stop. Second attempt was fine, but was not happy. Horrible sound on a car you are trying to take good care of.

2014 Mirage ES Manual - USA model - Push button start - 17,000 miles.

Mitsu has a service bulletin on this. See post #89 above.

Contact your dealer.

See videos of this happenining in post #1.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    there is more recent bulliten than listed in #89, it deals with new part numbers for starter and small bell housing cover, and new alignment dowels set to a different depth. it applies to std and auto trans cars. this is probably the real fix unless you did not go in right away and ruined flywheel. If you have a starter grind , make appointment and get it done asap. easy fix for dealer with less tear down of car as long as flywheel is still good. THIS IS SPECULATION of a tech/owner who owns 2014 mirage with no problems yet. I will try to copy and paste bulletin.-
    -
    -

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tennisguy/tech For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-27-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisguy/tech View Post
    there is more recent bulliten than listed in #89, it deals with new part numbers for starter and small bell housing cover, and new alignment dowels set to a different depth. it applies to std and auto trans cars. this is probably the real fix unless you did not go in right away and ruined flywheel. If you have a starter grind , make appointment and get it done asap. easy fix for dealer with less tear down of car as long as flywheel is still good. THIS IS SPECULATION of a tech/owner who owns 2014 mirage with no problems yet. I will try to copy and paste bulletin.-
    -
    -
    Thanks, Mine has only done it once in 17,000 miles. If it does it again I will stop driving it until I get it into the dealer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Starter update

Here is newest TSB from mits TSB 14-16-002 dated august 2014
    -
    I will try to post actual bulletin later

Country
    United States
    Thanks

here is TSB 14-16-002

hope this helps everyone. feed back welcomed,
    I had to remove shop name, and name of paid service I got it from. haha!!!
    -
    -
    hopefully this with bulletin in post # 89, will properly equip forum members for this problem
    -
    -
    Attached Images Attached Images      

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tennisguy/tech For This Useful Post:

alex16 (03-27-2015),Car Nut (02-15-2017),Daox (03-31-2015),db1980 (03-31-2015),debburyl (05-23-2015),MetroMPG (05-23-2015),R01k (03-31-2015),ToXiQ (03-31-2015),yorai (12-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So they replace the starter? I use my starter 6-8 times a day at least when engine off coasting. I know my battery is not going to last before the warranty is up so I should have one of those free in a year or so, it would be nice to know if I am getting a new starter as well to let me know I can use my current one as often as I need to for engine off coasting.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess the only concern I have with this TSB is it doesn't really say that this is to address the starter grind problem. The description is for starter motor installation. Do you know if the other TSB says anything stating that it has been superseded by this one?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    the purpose of a TSB { technical service bulletin} is to inform service manager, parts dept and techs of changes so that when a problem does arise they can fix car with latest parts and tecniques. It is not intended to inform end user { car owner } of anything.
    This bulletin came after grind one and deals with starter and dowels and bell housing cover. These parts and procedures have been changed since the grinding issue occurred . You would be hard pressed to get any car maker to admit they have a problem unless forced to in a recall. A recall is only issued for safety related items such as fire, accident etc. I only posted this TSB to try to give my friends on this forum all possible info that can help them if a starter problem arises. My "opinion" is that these parts may correct problem if no flywheel damage has occurred. So my "advice" is that if a starter grind problem occurs to get car to dealer ASAP, and be aware of both bulletins. An informed car owner is my aim. best to all.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tennisguy/tech For This Useful Post:

db1980 (03-31-2015),MetroMPG (04-01-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisguy/tech View Post
    the purpose of a TSB { technical service bulletin} is to inform service manager, parts dept and techs of changes so that when a problem does arise they can fix car with latest parts and tecniques. It is not intended to inform end user { car owner } of anything.
    This bulletin came after grind one and deals with starter and dowels and bell housing cover. These parts and procedures have been changed since the grinding issue occurred . You would be hard pressed to get any car maker to admit they have a problem unless forced to in a recall. A recall is only issued for safety related items such as fire, accident etc. I only posted this TSB to try to give my friends on this forum all possible info that can help them if a starter problem arises. My "opinion" is that these parts may correct problem if no flywheel damage has occurred. So my "advice" is that if a starter grind problem occurs to get car to dealer ASAP, and be aware of both bulletins. An informed car owner is my aim. best to all.
    Not trying be confrontational to your post at all. I understand the TSB is targeted to the dealerships, my point was just that even if we show them this TSB, many dealers would probably resist using it as a warranty based solution to the problem without specific mention of it (as is in the earlier TSB).

I agree with you, this was probably done specifically to solve this problem. My concern is more an indictment of the service departments at dealerships rather than the information you provided. Your note about being armed with both TSB's is probably the best solution. I value the information you provided (and I am sure others do as well) so if I came across as negative to you I apolgize.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to db1980 For This Useful Post:

tennisguy/tech (03-31-2015)