Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY! Snapped clutch cable remove & replace

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still rather shift my own gears. lol.

I also like that clutch is always the same in these, regardless of temperature. Well, except sometimes the clutch seems grabbier cold but that could be me shivering in the morning, who knows. LOL.

Quick Google Search found this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/302908332786

Looks like the part actually stayed the same, or is atleast interchangeable. Looks like a mountain bike brake cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    If a guy had a small length of cable could it be rigged up in a pinch somehow mcgivor style to limp home?
    No roadside macgyvering/limping required!

1) select first gear
    2) depress clutch pedal (to close clutch safety switch)
    3) start engine -- car immediately starts moving
    4) shift gears clutchless as required (it's not that hard, but takes practice if you want to be able to do it reliably without grinding. The key is matching appropriate engine RPM to the desired gear, either up or downshifting. It shifts best into N and into the next gear under light load. I'm sure there are YouTube videos that demonstrate all this.)
    5) when you need to come to a full stop, pop it into neutral while coasting, then shut the engine off when you stop
    6) return to step 1

You could leave it in 1st gear and "limp along" if you didn't want to shift gears. May not be practical, depending on conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-05-2019)

I've had to go drive back trucks back to the shop when the clutch master cylinder or slave gave up the ghost and drivers had no idea what to do. Once was across the city, everything was great til I had to stop at a red light on a slight incline, it was pretty sketchy. It barely had enough power to get it to moving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

1) select first gear
    4) shift gears clutchless as required (it's not that hard, but takes practice if you want to be able to do it reliably without grinding. The key is matching appropriate engine RPM to the desired gear, either up or downshifting. It shifts best into N and into the next gear under light load. I'm sure there are YouTube videos that demonstrate all this.)
    5) when you need to come to a full stop, pop it into neutral while coasting, then shut the engine off when you stop
    6) return to step 1

You could leave it in 1st gear and "limp along" if you didn't want to shift gears. May not be practical, depending on conditions.
    This is exactly what I did. It is a bit trickier with the FAST key because the starter does not want to disengage until the engine has started normally, which it won't be doing. It will be lugging the car forward in gear, which is interpreted by the FAST key system as an engine that is sputtering and needs to be cranked more. So you have to give it a little throttle while the starter is turning to get it to disengage. Very tricky.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 03-06-2019 at 01:09 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-06-2019),MetroMPG (03-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

1) select first gear
    6) return to step 1

Yeah I used to shift my mustang without the clutch back in the day. We talked about that subject in a thread on here once.
    Although I've never started a car in first without a clutch, usually it would just lunge forward.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Hey Cobrajet did you get your cable yet?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Cobrajet did you get your cable yet?
    Noooooooooooooope. But according to their tracking, it is "ready to ship". I am sure it is being drop-shipped from somewhere, but they are taking their time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    I think I'm going to order one just to have it available as a spare. I probably won't need it anytime soon, but I'd rather have it on hand if/when it finally lets go. I may just swap it out when I reach 100k miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I think I'm going to order one just to have it available as a spare. I probably won't need it anytime soon, but I'd rather have it on hand if/when it finally lets go. I may just swap it out when I reach 100k miles.
    All of this is a very good idea. Truth be told, it was my plan to order a spare and have it sitting on the shelf after reading about similar failures on cars with far fewer miles than mine. I just never did, primarily because I figured I would find a used one in a wrecking yard long before I ever actually needed it. I was wrong.

Order it. Order it soon. Don't do what I did and procrastinate, thinking that you have the one clutch cable that is made of 'indestructium' and will never fail. It is cheap insurance just to have it in the garage, ready to go. Replacing as a preventative measure around 100k is an even better idea.

As of right now, you can't just run to O'Reilly's or AutoZone and grab one of these off the shelf if yours breaks. You either have to order it at a dealership, pay $100, and wait 3-5 days, or order it from an online Mitsubishi parts house, pay $70, and wait 7-10 days.

Neither is a good option if you are relying on the car. It is an $80 part that tends to fail catastrophically...and without warning...which only takes 30 minutes to change. Have a spare.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-06-2019),Top_Fuel (03-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    ...or order it from an online Mitsubishi parts house, pay $70, and wait 7-10 days.
    I just ordered one. For once in my life I'll plan ahead...LOL.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)