Thread: US: someone finally gets it - Mirage review "Getting from point A to point B"

Country
    United States
    Thanks

US: someone finally gets it - Mirage review "Getting from point A to point B"

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/art...c36119c2a.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to socal6g For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-18-2013)

Totally agree. That's one level-headed review.

I'll write up a summary tomorrow like I do for the other ones. Update... here it is...

From the St. Joseph News-Press, Missouri ...

I love the writer's opening statement: "Despite the message put forward by geniuses at automotive industry marketing departments, the gist of a car is conveyance... The rest is truly superfluous."

- lots of room inside for a small car
    - supportive seats
    - nimble city manners
    - well equipped for an entry level car
    - low price, low running costs

Dislikes:

- "cute" styling doesn't "stir the soul"
    - handling = uncommunicative
    - CVT geared too tall for his liking

Overall:

So if you are looking for a pretty well equipped car that will get you where you need to go and still have plenty of money left over so you're not eating macaroni and cheese every night, the Mitsubishi Mirage might be a good car for you.
    Full review: http://www.newspressnow.com/news/art...c36119c2a.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very good review. It seems that many journalists become jadded from testing high performance and luxury cars. An economical car like the Mirage is undesirable, and they lose touch with the reality that many people are on limited budgets and can't afford expensive cars. This writer gets it. He notates the Mirage's weak spots, but focuses that car meets and exceeds what is expected of it, and beats any predecessors that had the same goal. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by festiboi View Post
    exceeds what is expected of it, and beats any predecessors that had the same goal.
    That, in a nutshell, is why I disagree with reviewers who are comparing the car to the Geo/Chevrolet Metro. They're similar in mission only -- the Mirage is way more advanced.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Comparisons to the Metros of yore are to be expected. Although the Mirage is more advanced, both are small three-cylinder hatchbacks less than 150 in. long that appeal to the masses with cheap pricing, low cost of ownership, and high fuel economy. There's been a drought of such vehicles since, well, since the Metro. The technology is more advanced on the Mirage, which represents the 20 years that divides them. Features that are common now in everyday cars weren't even available on luxury cars in the 90's. Just like features on the 90's Metros were not available on any cars in the 70's (I.e. airbags, ABS, etc.).

Despite their technological differences, both cars have similar weight, dimensions, and marketing. Not a bad thing to compare the two. The Metro had a cult following, and maybe this car will too

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can relate to the article because like the writer, I also had a old 89 hatchback colt. I loved that car and how much fuel it saved me. Which in result steered me into getting this current model.

You can comment on this article, by the way -- let the writer know you appreciated his work.

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/art...r-comment-area

I'm going to sign up just to do that.