View Poll Results: Is the type of transmission important to you?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would ONLY buy a manual shift.

18 60.00%
  • Offer me an automatic, or I'm out of here!

5 16.67%
  • If I like the car, the transmission doesn't matter.

7 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Would you get a Mirage if it only came with an automatic transmission?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    again I want to say the main reason is the 3-4 mpg loss versus the cvt. i drive mostly 20-50mph city traffic.

Last edited by Bretts; 10-25-2013 at 03:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    never again a manual!

Quote Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
    I prefer a manual, but the us model with CVT gets better fuel economy in the city 34 vs 37 and I do mostly city driving...
    In the hands of a skilled driver, the manual will outperform the CVT's fuel economy in city driving.

In the hands of a typical/average driver, the CVT will probably outperform.

It's FAR easier to exceed a car's city fuel economy rating with a manual than it is with an automatic/CVT. See: Mirage CVT or 5-speed: which should you get for best gas mileage/fuel economy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Every time I see the EPA ratings where CVT gets better fuel economy over the manual. However, the CVTs use much more power from engine than automatic trans and, of course, manuals.
    In real life manuals mostly gets better fuel economy and deliver more power to the wheels (especially on small engines).

Anyway, I'd buy a car that I like no matter the type of transmission it will have.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    Every time I see the EPA ratings where CVT gets better fuel economy over the manual. However, the CVTs use much more power from engine than automatic trans and, of course, manuals.
    In real life manuals mostly gets better fuel economy and deliver more power to the wheels (especially on small engines).

Anyway, I'd buy a car that I like no matter the type of transmission it will have.
    what do you mean?
    in the cvt there ismore power loss in t he cvt transmission?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    what do you mean?
    in the cvt there ismore power loss in t he cvt transmission?
    That's absolutely correct.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would not consider the Mirage if it were only an automatic. My Charade and Focus are both manuals, and even though I live in congested LA, I still prefer the driver involvement of a manual. Luckily the Mirage, like my two current cars, has a light clutch, making life easier. Like others have said, it does have a lower initial cost than the automatic to buy, and overall maintenance is typically less.

I've been trying to get my fiancé to learn manual, and it hasn't turned out so well. Maybe it's a good thing, as they can't take off with either of my cars and are relegated to their Chevy Aveo. I've been pressing the issue that they should learn, just in case there's an emergency, but they do not want to learn. At least they will still allow me to buy another manual.... at this moment

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MetroMPG, please don't ban me for what I'm about to say.

I bought the CVT because after checking out the 5MT's gear ratios, I was certain I'd wear the engine out faster than I'll wear the CVT out on the model I went with.

You know, cruising at 80-90 on the Turnpike keeping pace with everyone else on the road - winding the 3A92 out to 4,000+ RPM for miles and miles.

As opposed to pulling 2,700 or 2,800 with a CVT. 45 miles each way. Every day to and from work.

The Mirage should have had a 6 speed, with 5th hitting red line at 115 and 6th being a true overdrive providing 2,700 or 2,800 rpm at 70. I would have snatched the stick up in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    You know, cruising at 80-90 MPH on the Turnpike keeping pace with everyone else on the road
    80-90... WHAT? Your mileage!

Traffic in the right lane can't be going 80-90 mph, can it?

(PS: laughed at the "don't ban me" comment.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Usually it is, actually. There's only a bottleneck when somebody's actually obeying the speed limit or there's a Crown Victoria, Tahoe, Charger, Taurus or Impala parked ahead.

Also, still kicking it at 36-38 MPG!

NJ drivers are insane. To get into the 100th percentile you must be pushing at least 110. And I've been passed at that speed. (I've also been up to 165 in my old Supra Turbo but that's another story) Well, in the car lanes on the Turnpike at least. Glance to the right at the truck lanes, and it looks like you're in one of those fred flinstone cartoons with the scenery just rolling backward.

When I really feel like saving gas, I'll choose the truck lanes instead and do 60. But usually time is my enemy, and so is this tidal wave of cars in a rush to get to their own funeral. When in Rome... (especially in a 1,900 lb. tin can)