Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
I hear what you're saying. And I do think you have a good point. 80 mph = 4,057 rpm

However, 80 mph is probably the fastest I would ever set my cruise control. And the max torque of these engines is in the 4,000 to 4,100 rpm range. So, even though that is a lot of rpm, this engine just purrrrrs along at that rpm. It's not the quietest engine ever, but the sound of the engine is so pleasant at that rpm, it doesn't feel pushed. On the positive side, I haven't met a hill on the interstate yet that would cause the car to lose speed with the cruise set at 80 mph. And to pull even the steepest hills (in my area), the engine doesn't scream, it just runs the same pleasant rpm and just grunts it out.

I generally drive slow these days, as I like achieving high mpg while the lifted F250s and QX80s go blowing on by me, blowing through their gas. However, a couple years ago I took 2 of my 3 sons to Knoxville and back in the Mirage. I didn't want them to get uncomfortable or be miserable so I set the cruise right around 80 mph in order to knock that trip out as quickly as I felt comfortable doing so. My sons aren't tiny and neither am I. 3 of us, their luggage it was nearly fully loaded (probably was fully loaded based on GVW). The car never flinched at any hills. Max torque at 80 mph works nicely for hills. And the mpg was about 38 for that round trip. My 2004 Corolla 5 speed was a heckuva car. But doing the same exact trip, it would have been about 31 mpg.

Prior to purchasing a Mirage, that was one of the questions I had for the collective here. I was concerned the car may tend to lose speed pulling hills on the interstate. The collective assured me it would not. And they were very correct. It just purrs a little louder pulling hills. I would rather the engine purr louder versus scream at near max rpm. I don't know if the CVT hits max rpm pulling hills on the interstate, but I'd be willing to be it pulls more than 4,000 rpm on hills on the interstate. I'd rather have the steady rpm.

You know the Mirage is a good solid car, when your 19 year old son uses the Mirage for the summer (versus his 290 hp Infiniti G35, 6 speed) and comes and tells you the Mirage is growing on him. But, we all know this already!
Surprisingly the CVT doesn't rev it out that much up hills, Pulling steep hills at 70mph itl bring it up to about 2800-3000rpm, But it doesn't really rev it out unless i hold the accelerate button on the cruise, It'l kick it up to 4000-4200rpm then but in normal driving with the cruise set its never really gone past 3500rpm at max to hold 70-80 up hill on the interstate with the AC on. Its very smooth with the changes. The other reason i went for the CVT is construction and stop and go traffic. I spend a lot of time creeping home from work and that got very annoying in the 5 speed and made me worry about clutch longevity lol. I've put 3,500 miles on it in 40 days and so far, its been amazing.