Thread: Red Rocket :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Red Rocket
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    InfraRed
    5MT Manual

Details

hubcaps

•  

hoping for a Hurst t-handle shift knob and all weather mats

•  

sufficiently loud factory radio

•  

reminds me of a snowmobile...lol

Swapped the single beep horn out for a dual tone from a 2007 G6. Power one wire (green) on the dual tone, ground the other (black).

a bit tipsy at speeds above 75 mph, otherwise suitable

•  

hubcaps, the obvious look

•  
    Comments: 4 / Views: 6797
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Americanized" the Mitsu a little bit today with the welcoming swap of a dual tone that's been hanging out in the tool box for the past several years. It found a good home, halting the embarrassment behind the horn button.

I ended up using a piece of flat stock, maybe 6 inches long (could have been shorter as the holes I drilled are only 4 inches apart). The horn would have fit directly where the stock was bolted, but I could not get both of my hands down to hold the horn up and thread the bolt in simultaneously; so I did what I knew I could do. The horns are not touching anything so I am happy with the clearance around them.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    **Update........

FML, I wasn't as careful as I had thought I was mounting the horns. I had one pointed straight up, and it rained last night filling it with water. I noticed when I got to work and locked my doors; rather than the new real horn honk I got a "tink" noise. I spun the horn to face down on lunch and the water ran out and the horn is working again. It still isn't 100%, hoping it just needs to dry out....
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pics would be great. Especially of wiring - as that's my biggest weakness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't take pics of the wiring, but I can tell you what to do. My dual tone setup was off my 2007 G6, same as found on many American cars. I had a green wire and a black wire, the Mirage horn is a self grounding one wire horn. My green is my power and black ground on the dual tone, so I spliced my green to the wire on the Mirage and ran my black from the horn to the mounting bolt. This way I knew I had a good ground, using the same ground as factory.

The key to projects like this is knowing which wire is your hot and which is ground, also don't overload your circuits; a horn for a horn is pretty safe.

My horn could have been mounted directly where the factory one was, however I could not get both hands down to hold the horn and thread the bolt in; it was too awkward so I relocated the horn towards the center as mentioned.

How it sounds after the switch (also my first YouTube video lol):

-Billy