Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: starter problem (Mirage 1.2L CVT) - flywheel defect? Update: warranty repair

M88 - you could give a dealer a call. Talk to the parts dept. and find out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Hi Tracey - welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear your car is affected.

PS: I moved your post into this thread that talks specifically about the problem.

It's exclusively in CVT models, I think. (Haven't read about any manual transmission owners affected.)

If I'm not mistaken, recalls are only for safety issues. This flywheel problem would fall under the normal warranty.

Hope your dealer gets the part soon. Looks really bad on Mitsu to have new customers unhappy with their cars!

I have the 5 speed with key start, no push button. Mine did the whine/grinding noise a few months after I got it, maybe 2500ish mile mark. Very infrequently, maybe twice since then; until the past several days. I have 11,000-12,000 miles on it right now and it did this again a couple days ago, and then twice today.

I have yet to contact my dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    Could it be a belt? Does anyone know if it has a self tightening tensioner?
    It sounds more like the Bendix drive is either not going all the way to the flywheel, or not lining up with it every time somehow. I am leaning towards not going out all the way.

And, pretty sure it's manual tension set by the alternator bracket: Name:  WP_20140621_017.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  90.7 KB
    Last edited by RedDE5Spd; 08-23-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added more...and a typo
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So this is an ongoing issue after all this time, even in USA? Disconcerting to say the least, as Mitsubishi's long term outlook is shaky to begin with.

...I was going to buy a new mirage next week, but this makes me hesitant.

I think that's the only report of the starter issue in the US that I've seen.

It was a more common problem in Austral-asia, and only in CVT cars as far as I know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's nothing with the car itself, probably a bad batch of starters. This isn't too uncommon of a problem with manufacturers cutting costs and purchasing parts from whomever wherever that will make them the cheapest.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Excuse my French, but holy ****! how did I just now find this thread. I've been wondering about this issue for ages. I thought it was just the way I started my vehicle, it's quite embarrassing when my Mirage decides to scream it's tits off when I try to start it in a busy street :/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Glad to be of service. Make an appointment.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm happy to see that this issue doesn't appear to be widespread and there aren't really any new reports from newer cars having it. I'm curious if battery power has anything to do with it. I know on my CVT scooters ( I realize they're not the same as our CVTs) if te battery gets even the slightest bit weak the bendix will start randomly sticking. When this happens (on the scoot) this is a sign a new battery will be needed soon.

US: service bulletin for starter problem TSB-14-11-002

FYI, found under the "Service Bulletins" tab on this page:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...3VQ6O2TMH5Q8F9

Service Bulletin No.: TSB-14-11-002
    Component(s): ENGINE
    NHTSA ID Number: 10055251

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s) MITSUBISHI MIRAGE 2014

Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.

SUMMARY:

MITSUBISHI: SOME VEHICLES MAY HAVE IMPROPER MESHING OF THE STARTER GEAR AND RING GEAR DUE TO INCORRECT BACKLASH. THIS CAN CAUSE A NOISE WHEN THE ENGINE IS BEING STARTED.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-03-2015),fusion210 (02-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    FYI, found under the "Service Bulletins" tab on this page:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...3VQ6O2TMH5Q8F9
    Any reports of this happening on a 2015?