Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AC not getting very cold

I don't know how mine is still working as well as is it. The condenser is in pretty rough shape and most of the visible fins are either folded over or just gone lol. It's probably still full of the factory refrigerant.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArabianOak View Post
    I had it checked...the refigrerant was actually slightly high so the compressor would turn on and off...they drained some of the refrigerant out and tightened the belt slightly. it got just slightly colder and the refigerant gauge is in the green zone (meaning it's within spec).

thoughts?
    ArabianOak - Part of my job with Hyundai-Kia was A/C systems. I learned a lot. These are just points for you to consider.

• If the refrigerant was slightly high, it would work with no problems.
    • But refrigerant is an expense an OEM will not tolerate over filling. So the thought that it was slightly over charged is HIGHLY unlikely.
    • If it was cycling on/off/on/off, it is 99% chance the refrigerant level was low. 99% of A/C problems are low refrigerant due to a leak.
    • If you mean a refrigerant bottle with a gauge shows it is in the green zone, that does NOT mean the refrigerant volume in the system is within spec. That's a pressure reading. The pressures could be correct or close, and the amount of refrigerant could be quite low. Low refrigerant will most certainly lead to low cooling performance.
    • Bring it by my house and we will get your refrigerant levels EXACTLY correct.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    ArabianOak - Part of my job with Hyundai-Kia was A/C systems. I learned a lot. These are just points for you to consider.

• If the refrigerant was slightly high, it would work with no problems.
    • But refrigerant is an expense an OEM will not tolerate over filling. So the thought that it was slightly over charged is HIGHLY unlikely.
    • If it was cycling on/off/on/off, it is 99% chance the refrigerant level was low. 99% of A/C problems are low refrigerant due to a leak.
    • If you mean a refrigerant bottle with a gauge shows it is in the green zone, that does NOT mean the refrigerant volume in the system is within spec. That's a pressure reading. The pressures could be correct or close, and the amount of refrigerant could be quite low. Low refrigerant will most certainly lead to low cooling performance.
    • Bring it by my house and we will get your refrigerant levels EXACTLY correct.
    I was being facetious about you bringing by my house. You are a bit far away. From my memory our Mirages only holds about 1.5 cans of coolant. But my memory may be flawed, it may be lower than that. In any case, it's just a squirt.

I have a vacuum pump, a full set of manifold gauges, and I bring home a cute little weight scale from work. I pulled my big blue truck's system down last spring and recharged it to the absolute spec. After 22 years, that ole Dodge cools like a son of a gun when it has the correct amount of refrigerant in it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quality window tints and heat insulation on roof will help quite a bit!
    I can feel dramatic temperature change from vent when A/C en/disengaged. Meaning that the cooling system is not capable of exchange any excessive heat out. I've tried full blasting so compressor will keep running and holding at 6-7C from vent; however, significant temperature raises(warm air) once you disengage the compressor after few seconds.

Grew up in Asia, Toyota/ Lexus usually comes with HUGE Denso compressor that can satisfy majority of us. We had Mercury Sable, Audi 80 and VW Caravelle, but nothing can beat Toyota Corolla. LOL

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES Limited 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks gang! I am going to bring it to an ac shop, have it drained and refilled to spec! I will then update everyone!
    2021 Tesla Model S Plaid
    2020 Jeep Gladiator
    2021 BMW R18 First Edition
    2020 Aprilia RSV 4 1100 Factory
    2019 Mitsubishi Mirage ES

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ArabianOak For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-13-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArabianOak View Post
    thanks gang! I am going to bring it to an ac shop, have it drained and refilled to spec! I will then update everyone!
    If it's under warranty, take it to a dealer and tell them it's busted ... fix it. They should charge it up for free. Of course they'll F it up, but at least it will be free.