Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the fascination with labeling this car as poor people's car.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pureflipking View Post
    I would like to just give my 2 cents about this.

Classifying a vehicle for what it's built for as poor or rich is just based on biased opinion. The vehicle is engineered for a specific purpose and the purpose may not meet everyone's expectations. If you don't understand what i just said, ill elaborate. What i meant to say is that, the mirage was specifically made for short distances and for roads that has been chewed up by residents. Why would i say such things? It is because of the soft suspension, duh.. Now, it is economical with a smaller engine with a small fuel capacity and with a huge mpg rating, which works better in a condensed city with a small tight roads, which explains its developed and built in Thailand ( i could be wrong where it's built but you get the idea)

I own a small range of cars from a daily go getter, to a fun work/school go getter, to a much relaxed ill go a whole lot further getter, that makes me understand where the reviewers are coming from.

If i were to compare features between my two tiny cars, my mirage and my 500 Abarth, the mirage has more noticeable bells and whistles, while my abarth has the fun and "you gotta read the manual" bells and whistles, and the huge price difference ( less than $17000 vs a little over $25000), and the curb weight difference.

Now, the mirage is always getting the last pick because of its built quality. I never spent so much time in a new modern car reinforcing the panels with dynamat type material from vibrations, inserting sound deadening materials between door panels and on the firewall for engine noise, inserting dynamat type material on the roof from vibrations and sound deadening materials between the head liners, and spending much more money on a better sound system ( which is more of a personal choice). And another project i was going to do is to improve the vibration dampening on the suspension, which the car has none (a pure metal to metal contact from springs to the chassis to the wheels.)

Anyways, ill keep this short. If mitsubishi actually spent a little more time engineering the car or doing more research and development on the car based on noise levels, the drive, the handling, the general comfort of what a consumer requires and keep it at that same price range, and how the market is today, they would really outsold other sub compact vehicles in it's class. And the reviews would have came out differently.
    That would basically add more weight, this car is engineerd to be as light as possible. Mitsubishi wants to create a car which can be sold worldwide and basically meets the norm everywhere. European norm are stricter than US in some aspects and US needs for example tyre pressure sensor which Europe don't etc etc. I'm very happy with this car which has NO sound insulation because it really makes the car light. YOU might think, what's the deal, it's just a 10-20 KG more but u get a lot better car. That is what you think because you don't have the NL tax system. Cars tax are based on the weight of the car!! a few KG can make a difference from one category to another. It makes a huge difference per year (one category and the category above it).
    And more weight means less MPG. I've driven at constant speed of 120 km/hour today and still get 5.0L/100 KM. 20 KG more in weight will get me less MPG.

So in my opinion this car is perfectly engineerd. Mitsubishi can't possibly done better job. Exactly as u said, what one want is not what others want. You in US don't have anything worse to compare this car with, but me in Europe compared this car to other A-segment cars such as the Toyota Aygo and really can say, those cars are crap, compared to Mirage, Mirage is a limousine. Aygo had worse sound insulation, not lighter than Mirage, less luggage space, smaller car, uncomfortable seat, the worse MT ever .... and still a few more worse points.

Indeed it's very biased ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    True, why is it considered a prestige when people driving european cars? They're NOT better than Japanese cars! Japanese cars will last longer than most european cars. Don't get it ....
    i think youre misunderstanding the concept of cars in today's society. It is just like how you wear your clothes, your hygiene, your hair, it shows who you are and what youre all about. What i mean is, people driving luxury cars, ( euro or japanese or american) are either an enthusiasts, or for status, or because its nice. Dependability and durability on the other hand is debatable.

When i bought my Audi, the sales person admitted that some to most people prefer leasing luxury cars because of its competitive technological innovation as the year progresses. New things comes out all the time. And yes the question of "are they spoiled" does appear more often at like dealerships. High income leads to high living standards which is true. and if anyone says otherwise, is a hypocrite. Anyways, for a car that cost more than $30000 has a lot of incentives from either manufacturers or dealerships of where you bought it or whatever. For example, my audi gets free oil change and washes as long as i own the car. and the 50000 miles warranty covers just about everything ( yes including brake pads). or an option of 100000 miles warranty. The idea of "worry free maintenance" is what they are all about. The resale value is also debatable.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    i think youre misunderstanding the concept of cars in today's society. It is just like how you wear your clothes, your hygiene, your hair, it shows who you are and what youre all about. What i mean is, people driving luxury cars, ( euro or japanese or american) are either an enthusiasts, or for status, or because its nice. Dependability and durability on the other hand is debatable.

When i bought my Audi, the sales person admitted that some to most people prefer leasing luxury cars because of its competitive technological innovation as the year progresses. New things comes out all the time. And yes the question of "are they spoiled" does appear more often at like dealerships. High income leads to high living standards which is true. and if anyone says otherwise, is a hypocrite. Anyways, for a car that cost more than $30000 has a lot of incentives from either manufacturers or dealerships of where you bought it or whatever. For example, my audi gets free oil change and washes as long as i own the car. and the 50000 miles warranty covers just about everything ( yes including brake pads). or an option of 100000 miles warranty. The idea of "worry free maintenance" is what they are all about. The resale value is also debatable.
    I guess that's what makes the difference. In Europe it's not like you there. You bought the car and still have to do the rest yourself hahahaha ... I think I will like the US if I lived there hahaha ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That would basically add more weight, this car is engineerd to be as light as possible. Mitsubishi wants to create a car which can be sold worldwide and basically meets the norm everywhere. European norm are stricter than US in some aspects and US needs for example tyre pressure sensor which Europe don't etc etc. I'm very happy with this car which has NO sound insulation because it really makes the car light. YOU might think, what's the deal, it's just a 10-20 KG more but u get a lot better car. That is what you think because you don't have the NL tax system. Cars tax are based on the weight of the car!! a few KG can make a difference from one category to another. It makes a huge difference per year (one category and the category above it).
    And more weight means less MPG. I've driven at constant speed of 120 km/hour today and still get 5.0L/100 KM. 20 KG more in weight will get me less MPG.

So in my opinion this car is perfectly engineerd. Mitsubishi can't possibly done better job. Exactly as u said, what one want is not what others want. You in US don't have anything worse to compare this car with, but me in Europe compared this car to other A-segment cars such as the Toyota Aygo and really can say, those cars are crap, compared to Mirage, Mirage is a limousine. Aygo had worse sound insulation, not lighter than Mirage, less luggage space, smaller car, uncomfortable seat, the worse MT ever .... and still a few more worse points.

Indeed it's very biased ....
    i completely understand what youre saying and that theyre keeping the weight of the car minimal. And if so.. should they just sell the car to a person that weights less than a 100 lbs to get a much better fuel efficiency? Dont get me wrong, i have one, and ive gotten excited about the mpg readings and ive even posted it. The total weight added with the amount of work ive done on the car, barely added up to 45lbs, +- 2lbs. I weight about 180lbs and i still get good mpg with the car. will the additional 45 lbs affect the mpg that much? I hope you know what im trying to get at, and im not attacking the company and their operation. if it works for them, keep doing it. Im just saying.
    Last edited by pureflipking; 02-17-2014 at 07:02 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess that's what makes the difference. In Europe it's not like you there. You bought the car and still have to do the rest yourself hahahaha ... I think I will like the US if I lived there hahaha ....
    i want to apologize. This forum is international and i am basing my facts on basically North American standards. I forgot that standards are much different in other countries.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    i completely understand what youre saying and that theyre keeping the weight of the car minimal. And if so.. should they just sell the car to a person that weights less than a 100 lbs to get a much better fuel efficiency? Dont get me wrong, i have one, and ive gotten excited about the mpg readings and ive even posted it. The total weight added with the amount of work ive done on the car, barely added up to 45lbs, +- 2lbs. I weight about 180lbs and i still get good mpg with the car. will the additional 45 lbs affect the mpg that much? I hope you know what im trying to get at, and im not attacking the company and their operation. if it works for them, keep doing it. Im just saying.
    True I agree with you, as I'm like you having 2 cars for different purposes. I still own and enjoy my Gas-drinking Galant for the long trips and comfort. But I'm really happy they keep the empty weight (without passenger) low for the sake of road-tax.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    i want to apologize. This forum is international and i am basing my facts on basically North American standards. I forgot that standards are much different in other countries.
    No need to apologize. We in NL are the weird ones. No other countries are bases their tax on car's weight. Engine displacement I can understand but weight of the total car .... just simply insane.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I think seeking status is an innate biological drive. We used to do it by challenging the alpha (sorry, Alpha!) or excelling at the hunt, or some other accomplishment.
    Funny, I never really thought of myself as being an alpha-dog; I'd rather be left alone doing my own thing than being "group leader." The name is a Freespace reference.

Actual conversation I had in the carpool, after spotting a Ferrari on the road:
    (translated from Filipino)
    Me: "Look, Ferrari California!"
    Carpooler: "Hey, you know what, maybe the guy is [NSFW comment, "compensating for something"]."
    Me: "Hey, I just drive around in a Mirage."
    Carpooler: "Right."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Funny, I never really thought of myself as being an alpha-dog; I'd rather be left alone doing my own thing than being "group leader." The name is a Freespace reference.

Actual conversation I had in the carpool, after spotting a Ferrari on the road:
    (translated from Filipino)
    Me: "Look, Ferrari California!"
    Carpooler: "Hey, you know what, maybe the guy is [NSFW comment, "compensating for something"]."
    Me: "Hey, I just drive around in a Mirage."
    Carpooler: "Right."

Because of this comment, I want to remove my Mitsu and Mirage badges and replace them with Ferrari badges.....it'll probably pass here. We never see Ferraris around here, probably because they'd get stuck in a pothole lololololol.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDE5Spd View Post
    Because of this comment, I want to remove my Mitsu and Mirage badges and replace them with Ferrari badges.....it'll probably pass here. We never see Ferraris around here, probably because they'd get stuck in a pothole lololololol.
    I'm actually surprised (not completely, but somewhat) that a few people drive Ferraris around here, actually. I imagine they'd get stuck trying to get over some residential road's typical speedbump. That said, they're way more common in Hong Kong or Singapore, where you'd have to be super-rich just to be able to afford any car. There are no potholes in Singapore (but a lot of speed cameras, go figure).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)