Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help. AC problem after pressure washing

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Exclamation Help. AC problem after pressure washing

Hi folks, the AC on my 18 Mirage G4 started to going bad after I pressure washed the condenser about 2 weeks ago, and just several days after the wash, I noticed the AC vent lowest temperature is 8-10 degrees Celsius (ambient temp. ~24 degrees, humidity: 35%). Before that, the AC vent temperate can consistently reach 5-6 degrees Celsius, even on my road trip from Toronto to Atlanta and back (about 3300 KM), when the temperature there was like 35-38 degrees about one month ago. The AC was normal after I returned to Toronto for a few days until I was stupid that I used the pressure washer at the gas station and rinsed all front grills at close range and some (small amount) of the fins were bent (photo 1 and 2). I initially thought it was because of the bent fins on condenser blocked the air flow, so I removed the entire front bumper and straightened the fins as best I can and cleared out the bugs on it. Photo 3 shows the condenser after the work. Unfortunately, no improvement of the AC temperature at all. Temperature today is 23 Celsius, 36% humidity, but the lowest it can reach was about 8-9, also the vent temperature drops significantly slower than before.
    Now my question is if it was the pressure wash damaged the AC system, or it could be something else that just happened after the wash. Any suggestions? Will the warranty cover the AC issue? BTW. I did not drive much on highway after the wash. Name:  1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  102.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  100.6 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  103.5 KB

Last edited by luckyforrest; 07-15-2022 at 07:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    ... also the vent temperature drops significantly slower than before.
    LF - Your condenser looks reasonable to me. I don't think that is the root cause. I'm tending to think this could be just a timing coincidence. Meaning, maybe the timing of the spraying of the condensor and the change in performance could be just a coincidence.

However, I have a question: What is your meaning in the quote above? Did you mean to say, "vent temperature?" Or did you mean to say, "vent airflow?"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    LF - Your condenser looks reasonable to me. I don't think that is the root cause. I'm tending to think this could be just a timing coincidence. Meaning, maybe the timing of the spraying of the condensor and the change in performance could be just a coincidence.

However, I have a question: What is your meaning in the quote above? Did you mean to say, "vent temperature?" Or did you mean to say, "vent airflow?"
    Hi, thank you for the reply. Yes, I mean the vent airflow temperature. I called the dealer and was told they will charge about 160 CAD to do the check and if it is defect of the parts, it will be covered, but if it is caused by the leak of condenser which is usually caused by debris, it will not be covered. Not sure if I should take it to the dealer for the examination or take it to a mechanic for the diagnosis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    LF - I ask the question in a specific way because I have an idea. But your answer didn't clarify it for me. You combined my 2 possibilities.

You said the vent temperature drops significantly slower than before. It is the "slower" that sends my mind down a path.

Are you trying to say that along with the less cool air, that also the air doesn't blow as hard through the vents as before?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    LF - I ask the question in a specific way because I have an idea. But your answer didn't clarify it for me. You combined my 2 possibilities.

You said the vent temperature drops significantly slower than before. It is the "slower" that sends my mind down a path.

Are you trying to say that along with the less cool air, that also the air doesn't blow as hard through the vents as before?
    Hi 7milesout, sorry for the confusion. The air blow is still as hard as before, but the temperature of the air is not as cold, and I can see the digits on thermometer drops significantly slower than before.

Hi, thank you for the reply. Yes, I mean the vent airflow temperature. I called the dealer and was told they will charge about 160 CAD to do the check and if it is defect of the parts, it will be covered, but if it is caused by the leak of condenser which is usually caused by debris, it will not be covered. Not sure if I should take it to the dealer for the examination or take it to a mechanic for the diagnosis.
    The Nissan dealer told me the same thing a few weeks ago. I had a van that was blowing warm air. The compressor kicked on but it wasn't cool air. Temp controls worked fine from hot to cold. I first looked for any obvious dents or holes in the condenser first, all looked good. Then found a joint where the ac lines connect and it appeared to be sweating.

Called the dealer and they said if the condenser is leaking then it's not covered, but if it's something else they won't charge us anything. Turned out it was the joint that I found, they replaced a couple o-rings and recharged it. This was on a 1 year old 2021 Vehicle though.

I don't know what I'd do if I were you. The price of a new condenser is under $100 on rock auto. I don't know what a recharge would cost you? Or take it to the dealer and maybe have it fixed for free?
    I've had luck finding an ac leak in a condenser the other day. It'd loose it's charge within a week and blow warm in a 2017. I sprayed the condenser with soapy water and fired up the car, ac on and was able to quickly find the leak in the condenser. Might be worth a shot trying that before trying the dealer? If you do have a leaky one replace it yourself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The Nissan dealer told me the same thing a few weeks ago. I had a van that was blowing warm air. The compressor kicked on but it wasn't cool air. Temp controls worked fine from hot to cold. I first looked for any obvious dents or holes in the condenser first, all looked good. Then found a joint where the ac lines connect and it appeared to be sweating.

Called the dealer and they said if the condenser is leaking then it's not covered, but if it's something else they won't charge us anything. Turned out it was the joint that I found, they replaced a couple o-rings and recharged it. This was on a 1 year old 2021 Vehicle though.

I don't know what I'd do if I were you. The price of a new condenser is under $100 on rock auto. I don't know what a recharge would cost you? Or take it to the dealer and maybe have it fixed for free?
    I've had luck finding an ac leak in a condenser the other day. It'd loose it's charge within a week and blow warm in a 2017. I sprayed the condenser with soapy water and fired up the car, ac on and was able to quickly find the leak in the condenser. Might be worth a shot trying that before trying the dealer? If you do have a leaky one replace it yourself.
    Hi Fummins, thank you very much! So you think the leak was on condenser and it was caused by the pressure washing? I sprayed some soapy water this afternoon with the front grill on, I did not see noticeable leak, maybe I need to take the entire front grill off again and check more carefully. Hopefully is something covered by warranty. I only pressure washed the condenser and radiator for a few seconds, was not aware it could do the damage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi 7milesout, sorry for the confusion. The air blow is still as hard as before, but the temperature of the air is not as cold, and I can see the digits on thermometer drops significantly slower than before.
    LF - You covered my question good now. I'm with Fummins. I don't know what I'd do if I were you. But his idea to spray soapy water on it is a good idea. My brother used to spray windex on stuff, representing the soapy water. No need to mix anything up, just spray windex on it. I suppose that would work in this case too.

My thought process previously was that maybe you were trying to say the airflow was way down. Because if that is the case, it means the evaporator is freezing. And that happens under certain circumstances but is a sure fire way of knowing that the refrigerant is low / leaking. But that is not your case.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi Fummins, thank you very much! So you think the leak was on condenser and it was caused by the pressure washing? I sprayed some soapy water this afternoon with the front grill on, I did not see noticeable leak, maybe I need to take the entire front grill off again and check more carefully. Hopefully is something covered by warranty. I only pressure washed the condenser and radiator for a few seconds, was not aware it could do the damage.
    Another thing is I noticed when I shut off the car, I can hear very weak humming noise behind the front grill close to condenser area, and the sound last for about a minute and gone. Could that be the sound of leak? Thank you!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    LF - You covered my question good now. I'm with Fummins. I don't know what I'd do if I were you. But his idea to spray soapy water on it is a good idea. My brother used to spray windex on stuff, representing the soapy water. No need to mix anything up, just spray windex on it. I suppose that would work in this case too.

My thought process previously was that maybe you were trying to say the airflow was way down. Because if that is the case, it means the evaporator is freezing. And that happens under certain circumstances but is a sure fire way of knowing that the refrigerant is low / leaking. But that is not your case.
    Thank you very much 7milesout, I am going to remove the front grill and spray soapy water and check more carefully.