Thread: New to the forum with my old trusty 2015 Mirage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    This is a good thread kyo. I would have chosen the 1.0L here in the states if it were an option. Instead, we have to take the gas guzzling 1.2L. Oh well. But the 1.2L paired with the 5-speed is a pleasant driving car. I hope my lasts as long as yours!
    Glad you like that thread

I've never had the chance to drive a 1.2, but don't think the it's a gashog tho

However hypermiling with the 1.0 takes some effort too. Aaaand... of course, here are a few quirks with it. For instance: "Coasting" works, but not as much as I expected. I always try to "motor brake" (sorry I haven't found an proper Americana-expression for that word). Whenever I go downhill steep enough. That helps much more!

Another rather curious thing is that there is an actual "sweet spot" with the accelerator. It helps a -lot- if you push the accelerator pedal as -minimal as possible-. Just enough to keep the car moving. Not more! And then just try keep that sweet spot with the pedal. Do not go lower, do not go higher as long as possible (and as long as the surrounding traffic allows it). If you can keep the engine in that kind of equilibrium-state you can literally see the number displayed on the fuel-consumption display going down. Works even uphill to a certain degree.
    Also try to get a constant speed on the highway. A good speed-sweet-spot is (at least with my good ol' Bertha) is 90km/h / 55mph. That's the speed that gives (at least to me) the most bang for the buck, while still keeping my travel time... well at least kind of reasonable.

It takes practice (plus some serious dedication and discipline lol) but I think with a good hypermiling strategy you can get from the 1.2 almost the same mileage as you can get from a 1.0. And it helps if you consider hypermiling as a hobby... a nerdy one

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage 1.0 automatic: 62.9 mpg (US) ... 26.7 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyo For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-05-2022),vintzend (07-29-2022)