Thread: US: Video - 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DETAILED Review (Everyman Driver)

US: Video - 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DETAILED Review (Everyman Driver)

Here's a matter-of-fact review of the top-spec CVT ES from the States. It starts off...

"There are really just two reasons why you should consider the all new 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage: fuel economy and price. Now on the surface those are pretty good reasons, but are they reason enough why you should consider this subcompact for your next car?"
    PLASMA PURPLE!

Piles of negative viewer comments already. Here's the direct link to all comments: http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=rlIlOWQgkDs

Overall, I think he gives a fair review. There are the usual criticisms (noise, power, handling), but he also points out its genuine strengths. I like where he shows he can fit a full size road bike in the back with the front wheel removed.

Strangely: he gets truly crappy mileage during his test, in the low 30's mpg (US). That's probably the worst mileage I've seen a reviewer admit to getting. Must have driven it like a madman.

Here's the web review of the car: http://www.everymandriver.com/new-su...subishi-mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Strangely: he gets truly crappy mileage during his test, in the low 30's mpg (US). That's probably the worst mileage I've seen a reviewer admit to getting. Must have driven it like a madman.
    I'm getting low-to-mid 30's as well. I think it's not quite "driving like a madman" but driving with the flow of traffic.

For example: if you're at a red light and it turns green

1. if one drives in "eco" mode, feathering the gas, shifting at 2krpms, one would hear an orchestra of honks.

2. if you drive in "normal" mode, 1/2 gas pedal or less, shift at 3-3.5k rpms, you will be slightly slower than the cars in front of you, but the guys behind you will probably be alright saying: that idiot in front should have gotten a better car.

3. if you drive in "spirited" mode, and drive with 3/4 gas to "pedal to the metal," shift at 4.5-5k and up rpms, then you'll probably be right behind the guy in front of you and you're probably the one yelling at the guy in front of you saying they're so slow.

These reviewers need to just man up and drive the manual version. I've had a weak car with an auto and it just does no justice to the car. I know the CVT "keeps the tranny in the engine's useable powerband" but still... Nothing like rowing-your-own-boat.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Reading the comments on youtube made me sad

Yeah - I don't get the negativity. His review wasn't that negative at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    For example: if you're at a red light and it turns green
    The secret to good city mileage isn't how fast you accelerate from the green. It's what do you do when you notice the light down the road has turned red.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ Try "coasting" here in Houston and you'll see what happens. Remember that many carry concealed handguns around.

If the car behind you has to stop at the SAME FREAKING RED LIGHT that you do, what's the big deal?

You're going to get shot because the car behind you wants to be the first one to come to a stop?

On the other hand, with so many people texting at red lights, maybe they would want to shoot you for holding up their next texting session.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    If the car behind you has to stop at the SAME FREAKING RED LIGHT that you do, what's the big deal?
    trust me, i know...