Thread: Anyone running HAM or CB?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Anyone running HAM or CB?

Pretty self explanatory. Anyone running either or both in their Mirage? I have a general license myself but have dabbled in both.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am a CB operator and always have one in my vehicle except the Mirage since the wife drives it, but there is an emergency CB in the trunk. I also run a base station at home. I use Baofeng hand held radios and listen to FRS, GMRS, MURS, Ham, Marine, Emergency EMS, etc with it inside the mobile with the stock duck antenna and it works ok. I added a magnet mount for the Baofeng, but the reception is really not much better and I don't like 2 antennas on my roof.

For the Mirage, I would use a small CB like the President Bill or a hand held/mobile Midland 75-822 or President Randy and get you the President New Virginia antenna. and then use a ham hand held.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-29-2022),Mirageman38 (09-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ended up going with a small cheap normal uniden CB unit that I can mount somewhere under the dash I guess. I have a cupphone holder coming in for my Beofang and its handheld mic and would prefer not to have both cupholders full as it is this is going to be a bit kludgy. I have so many wires going now between the dash cam, USB fast chargers, and now two radios and a quad splitter, it's turning into a rats nest.

I plan on mating the radios with two magnetic antennas even though it will probably be fugly. Also, unrelated I got some of the cool MIVEC and 1.2L trunk badges coming in at the same time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had an old old ICOM IC-27H in mine for a while. Someone stole the antenna, and the radio was kind of in the way.

W3AGG

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have an Icom 7000 in one Mirage and a Yaesu Ft100 in the other, both multiband HF rigs. Still screwing around with antennas looking for the best answer.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)