Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bug :: 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

  1. General Information
    Bug
    2019
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Black
    CVT

    2021 Alpine Radio Swap with SiriusXM Tuner
    Vantrue N2 Pro dashcam
    ScanGuage II

    •  
    Details

    Kumho Solus 60k mile tires on OEM steelies

    Replaced OEM Dunlop Enasave around 42k miles due to misalignment induced right tire wear. Otherwise could have gone a little longer.

    •  
    Comments: 8 / Views: 680
  1. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    The Armpit of America
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 138 Times in 96 Posts
    I wanted to list the parts I use on Bug as a reference for myself in the future to track prices. I try to find the cheapest parts that work reliably so let me know if there is cheaper/better and I will update. Most things I order in bulk or long before needed so Aliexpress long shipping time is fine with me. I also don't mind using generics.

    Updated: 8/30/22

    Oil: Supertech 0W-20 (or costco) - $4/quart - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...arts/874624149 Costco

    Oil Update: From this thread There is oil for under $2 a quart if you can pickup from Grainger or around $3 a quart with shipping. I haven't used this oil so I can't vouch, but if the price is still the same when I need more I will try this next. https://www.grainger.com/product/DUR...al-Size-56HT78


    Oil Filter: Supertech 6607 - $3.42 - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...cles/506906164

    Brake Fluid: SuperTech DOT 4 - $7.97/32oz - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...2-oz/290538192

    Cabin Air Filter: Generic - $3.87 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801223741879.html
    Engine Air Filter: Generic - $7.35 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802106756615.html

    Buy wipers in bulk to cut down on shipping.
    Driver Wiper 24': Anco 3124 - $2.40 + shipping - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...k=532623&jsn=3
    Left Wiper 16': Anco 3116 - $2.39 + shipping - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...k=532519&jsn=7
    Rear Wiper 12-A : Trico 60012A, 12-A - $4.67 + shipping - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=8852&jsn=350
    Wiper Fluid: Super Tech Winter - $3.27/Gallon - https://www.walmart.com/ip/V-I-P-Sup...Fluid/17179676

    CVT Filter, Aux Filter, and Gasket: Generic - $24.41 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802131090683.html
    CVT Fluid: Castrol Transmax - $5.66/quart
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-T...llon/641751153

    Tires 165/65r14 : Kumho Solus 60k mile - $68.30 each + free shipping and $60 to mount/balance + lifetime rotation - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-Sol...6514/887451784 Note: Check tread depth on delivery and request partial refund or replacement if not within spec. This happened to me.

    TBD/todo: Coolant, bulbs, belt, battery, spark plugs, brake pads/shoes, rotors, drum

    I already notice most of this stuff is up from three years ago. Oil pretty significantly and so is the tires. Also worth noting none of these products have blown up my car... yet
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 09-01-2022 at 08:15 PM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)


  2. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    1,087
    Thanked 181 Times in 149 Posts
    id go with brand name oil, castor edge is $5.18 a quart USD at costco where i am so another 4 ish dollars an oil change maybe worth it.

    Also im not sure why you'd cheap out on the wipers and not get the beam style considering how infrequent they are replaced.

    Also the transmission pan gasket is not the same for all JF015 transmissions, i believe the spark has one less bolt hole?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

  3. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    The Armpit of America
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 138 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    id go with brand name oil, castor edge is $5.18 a quart USD at costco where i am so another 4 ish dollars an oil change maybe worth it.

    Also im not sure why you'd cheap out on the wipers and not get the beam style considering how infrequent they are replaced.

    Also the transmission pan gasket is not the same for all JF015 transmissions, i believe the spark has one less bolt hole?
    Amazon Basics, Kirkland, and SuperTech oil are all made by Warren. All three brands have positive reviews with many millions of miles driven on them. Many youtube videos on the quality of the oil. If you have a brand preference go for it, but I personally don't see any gain.

    For the wipers I have gone with the cheapest and never tried beam style. These are also on Amazon (albeit much more expensive) https://www.amazon.com/ANCO-31-31-24.../dp/B0009IK5XK and they get about 10k good reviews. I have been using them for two years now without noticing any issues, and it seems I only have to replace them once a year. Is there any noticeable difference with the beam?

    Yes, the spark has 14 hole. The one I linked is 15 hole like the Nissan. It's the same one I just used today and it works.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)


  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

    inuvik (08-29-2022),mohammad (08-27-2022),spacestar67 (08-27-2022)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 74 Times in 48 Posts
    Are these kumono(?) tires low rolling resistance? Look like they're not for max MPG

    Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus tires probably ideal?

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    The Armpit of America
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 138 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Are these kumono(?) tires low rolling resistance? Look like they're not for max MPG

    Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus tires probably ideal?
    Ecopia 422 Plus doesn't seem available in 165/65/r14. If you are talking Potenzas the lowest price I could find is $124 or $129.08 at wally world for the cheap install (add more money if you need to pay extra for mounting/balancing unless you can mount them yourself).

    This leads to a minimum price difference of $243.12 more for a tire with only 40k mile warranty vs 60k with the Kumhos. As of today AAA says the average gas price is $3.85. This difference could buy 63 gallons of gas with the savings from Kumho. Over 40k miles you could use about 1000 gallons if you average 40MPG. You would need to be getting 16% better MPG for this to even break even, and this isn't counting in the 50% better tread life of the Kumhos.

    Honestly with the prices for LRR what they are, I don't think any truly save money. If you can find an example please let me know. I think this example will work if you plugin the numbers for any LRR tires.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,306
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Are these kumono(?) tires low rolling resistance? Look like they're not for max MPG

    Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus tires probably ideal?
    You can't buy something that doesn't exist, however. I don't think a 14" Bridgestone Ecopia tire exists in North America, but I could be wrong.


    The Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus would be a good option for those with 15" rims, however.

    If you are shopping for 165/65r14 tires these days, I think the Kumho Solus TA31 (500AA/60,000 mile warranty) & Nexen N'Priz AH5 (460AA/50,000 mile warranty) are two of your better choices. As of tonight, Kumho tires are $68.30/tire @ walmart.com & Nexen tires are $65.88/tire @ Walmart. Walmart mounts tires purchased through them for free and lifetime balance is $14/tire.

    Factory Dunlop Enasave (340AB/no warranty) tires are running about $187/tire these days. That's a lot of money for a tire with a lower UTQG rating & no warranty. I'd sell my Mirage before paying $748+ for a set of tires.

    Factory Falken Sincera SN250A A/S (320BB/no warranty) tires are $84.04/tire @ walmart.com. The factory Falken tires have a lower UTQG rating, no warranty, and no indication they are a LRR tire. It's an overpriced below average tire & nothing more.

    Outside of the 165/65r14 Kumho or Nexen tire options, I would consider looking at 175/65r14 tire options (which some members already do).

    A person could try the old style Bridgestone POTENZA RE92 (260AB) @ $126.40/tire @ walmart.com, but they seemed priced quite high for what you are getting.

    All these price quotes could be different by tomorrow, too!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    The Armpit of America
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 138 Times in 96 Posts
    I just installed Change Detection on my Synology NAS to begin automated price tracking for these components. If anything changes drastically I will try to update this page.

    I agree Mark those are the only two tires even worth looking at it seems, and I choose the Kumhos because $2 more for 10k miles is a no-brainer. I thought there used to be an uber long life warranty tire (80~90k or something) but I can't find those anymore but they were tempting if I recall. The Kumhos were $62.67 when I got them in 2021, and then I got $12.50 off each for not being the right tread depth.

    The other cheap tires are weird brands, somewhat sketchy safety, no warranty, or summer only which IDK who would want.

    I would rather not go away from factory spec tires at least for the warranty period I guess. I don't think the bigger tire will help with fuel economy anyways unless you could get a real bargain on the prices. With our OEM tires being so cheap these days, the kumhos (and probably many) cost more to get them in the bigger size.

    If I recall the Walmart tire install and balance is $15 a tire if you buy from Walmart and comes with lifetime tire rotation. If not from Walmart the same package is $25 a tire. I think you would be hard pressed to find a cheaper install unless you live in a very low cost area.

    I suppose you could save some money and mount/balance them yourself. Might not be worth it for just one vehicle, but also could come in handy for routine balance checks and mounting specialty tires. Not sure if these are the best prices, I got them a couple years back cheaper...
    Mounter: https://www.harborfreight.com/manual...ger-69686.html
    Balancer: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Bubb.../dp/B000BMDT96

    Also random tidbit: Any Goodyear corporate tire center will repair the OEM Dunlop Enasaves for free. I did it twice and just dropped them off for the day and put them back on myself. https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/...es/tire-repair

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,306
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I just installed Change Detection on my Synology NAS to begin automated price tracking for these components. If anything changes drastically I will try to update this page.

    I agree Mark those are the only two tires even worth looking at it seems, and I choose the Kumhos because $2 more for 10k miles is a no-brainer. I thought there used to be an uber long life warranty tire (80~90k or something) but I can't find those anymore but they were tempting if I recall. The Kumhos were $62.67 when I got them in 2021, and then I got $12.50 off each for not being the right tread depth.

    The other cheap tires are weird brands, somewhat sketchy safety, no warranty, or summer only which IDK who would want.

    I would rather not go away from factory spec tires at least for the warranty period I guess. I don't think the bigger tire will help with fuel economy anyways unless you could get a real bargain on the prices. With our OEM tires being so cheap these days, the kumhos (and probably many) cost more to get them in the bigger size.

    If I recall the Walmart tire install and balance is $15 a tire if you buy from Walmart and comes with lifetime tire rotation. If not from Walmart the same package is $25 a tire. I think you would be hard pressed to find a cheaper install unless you live in a very low cost area.

    I suppose you could save some money and mount/balance them yourself. Might not be worth it for just one vehicle, but also could come in handy for routine balance checks and mounting specialty tires. Not sure if these are the best prices, I got them a couple years back cheaper...
    Mounter: https://www.harborfreight.com/manual...ger-69686.html
    Balancer: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Bubb.../dp/B000BMDT96

    Also random tidbit: Any Goodyear corporate tire center will repair the OEM Dunlop Enasaves for free. I did it twice and just dropped them off for the day and put them back on myself. https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/...es/tire-repair
    I bought a pair of Kumho tires last summer from Walmart. They replaced a pair of worn out Federal SS657 tires that I had. Mounting was free, lifetime balance was $14/tire, one time balance was $12/tire, disposal of old tires was $1.50/tire. My bill was $31 to mount/balance two new tires & dispose of the old ones. No extra charges except sales tax was added. I had the tires shipped to my home, and they didn't even question me when I brought them in.

    If you buy tires elsewhere, mounting is $25/tire @ Walmart. My local mechanics will do it for less than that.

    I have a pair of Kumho tires on the front of my Mirage this summer. They were used on the rear during the winter months. I have a pair of Nexen tires on the rear this summer. I've had them for a couple years now.

    I have 8 steel rims for my Mirage. I plan on replacing my worn out pair of factory Dunlop tires with a pair of Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires some day. I want to use them with Nokian Nordman 7 tires during the winter months.

    I sort of went down the path of mixed pairs, because a factory Dunlop tire failed @ 15,000 miles. Rather than replace just one tire, I went with a pair of Federal tires. It just became a real mix of things after that.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •