Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3,000-4,000 mile oil change interval

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I couldn't imagine running a motor oil for 20k miles in these things. Given the tight clearances and 3 qt sump that oil would shear down to an unacceptably low viscosity. I would need to see repeated used oil analysis to change my mind.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbarr For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (10-06-2022),Fummins (10-06-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minibishi2 View Post
    You seem like such a negative person. Education does the mind wonders. Much like people from 200 years ago had no idea that we would have the power of smart phones, technology advances, people learn and innovate. You must keep up with time instead of being stuck in your past.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-yt5a1cWd4
    Yo. New guy. We break balls here, but it's all in good fun. Take it easy playa. We're all friends here.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-06-2022),inuvik (10-06-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah, our highest mileage turd saw 12,000km(7500 mile) intervals for the first 300k km. Now it's done every 6000km/4000miles like the rest. It still runs. I want to do compression on it one of these days. It is a bit clacky when warm and occasionally uses 1/2 qt between changes. It's at 494k km(307k miles) right meow.

I change my oil twice a year in the turdmobile and ol' lady's dumpstermobile. The truck gets an oil change every other year or so? It's slightly overdue...
    That's what I do too, every 12k km. I just feel like these basic ass engines can take a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    i couldn't imagine running a motor oil for 20k miles in these things. Given the tight clearances and 3 qt sump that oil would shear down to an unacceptably low viscosity. I would need to see repeated used oil analysis to change my mind.
    shhhhh!! Don’t ruin this

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    shhhhh!! Don’t ruin this
    Are you saying to check back in six months for the "why does my mirage go clackety clack" post

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Correct.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 2,127 Posts
    I use mobile1 anual 20k oil plus filter and check it very often. Doesn't burn a drop and stays looking clean. I do drive 95% highway though and this is a project car for me. That said I've always done the same in all my cars since it came out and even my eclipse is at the 240k mile mark without an issue.
    Thanks for sharing all that! Sounds like Mobil 1 is working out well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yo. New guy. We break balls here, but it's all in good fun. Take it easy playa. We're all friends here.
    Attachment 24261
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-06-2022 at 02:14 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-06-2022),inuvik (10-06-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I'd walk up and say "You did change my mind, now I'm offended."

My mantra is, "I try my hardest to not be offensive and even harder to not be offended."

I feel like if I was political and Canadian, I'd be considered conservative, but in the states, I'm considered liberal.

All I know is, I'm very much politically erect.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 1,049 Posts
    I use mobile1 anual 20k oil plus filter and check it very often. Doesn't burn a drop and stays looking clean. I do drive 95% highway though and this is a project car for me.
    Well, that doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I just drained my oil at a 7,500 mile interval, and same as above. The oil level was still at the top. The oil didn't look "clean" like new oil, but it looked like it was carrying a very manageable amount of suspended particles and looked quite healthy. A 7,500 mile oci on mostly suburban driving doesn't concern me the least. It's probably overkill, but I'll stick to the manufacturer's recommendation.

So, with some explanation from minibishi2, I think he seems to be aware of what he's doing, and I doubt he's doing any engine killing harm. More power to him!

However mb2, Fummins knows his stuff. I'm betting his reply is based on various others that have posted same or similar things as you, but didn't follow up or explain their rationale. He B OK.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)