Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brakes go to floor, vacuum leak?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Brakes go to floor, vacuum leak?

I just replaced my front brake pads and now when I press the pedal the brake goes to the floor. When I let off the brake, the car idles unevenly for about 5 seconds like there is a vacuum leak.
    This is my first time doing brake pads so I probably messed something up. I’m about to go bleed them and see what happens. Maybe some air got into a line though I don’t understand how that could have happened. I appreciate any help.

Don't bother bleeding. Just pump the pedal a few more times and you should have your pedal back.
    It's normal for the pedal to go to the floor for the first few pumps after pushing the caliper(s) in.
    The idle goes weird when pumping the brakes. That's normal. There's no need to fix it until it's broken.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-05-2022),Mark (10-04-2022),Princess_Bishi (10-05-2022),Top_Fuel (10-05-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bled them anyway because it was due to be done. I pumped the pedal a good 30 times before deciding to do more and it sunk every time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just need to tighten the lugs and I can start it up and try it again. Will update when I do. How many times typically does it take to get the pedal back? Thank you Fummins!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    There’s a special procedure to follow to properly bleed the brakes in these cars due to the ABS. It’s in the service manual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bled them in the order of passenger rear, driver front, driver rear, passenger front. These cars don’t require any two-way tech mumbo jumbo do they?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can’t find one of my lug nuts now. Got dang it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    I bled them in the order of passenger rear, driver front, driver rear, passenger front. These cars don’t require any two-way tech mumbo jumbo do they?
    It’s much more involved than that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Just to save others that don't know what they're doing...There is zero need to bleed your brakes after replacing your brake pads or shoes unless you manage to push a piston out of a caliper or wheel cylinder.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-05-2022 at 01:15 PM. Reason: trying to reduce my reported post count.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What are some other things it involves? I don’t expect a detailed book report I’m just curious. Btw everything is correctly now.