Thread: Making a Grill Block

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Making a Grill Block

To decrease the time to warm up to operating temperature, and improve aerodynamics. I'll work on this sometime between Friday and Sunday. I'll photo document the process and share here as well. Input before hand will be appreciated e.g. any more advice, recommendations, tips, and of the aforementioned shoulda-coulda-woulda variety ... Do reply

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I'm not shooting your plans down. More power to ya. And I'll subscribe, see how it comes out and keep my opinions to myself, after this. But I don't see the point in doing this ... unless you live on the North Pole, with a 14L Cummins with like 10 gallons of coolant.

Because, warming up quickly is what the thermostat is for. I can't imagine such a tiny cooling system warming up much faster even with a grill block. But I admit, I could be wrong. I don't know everything, I have a wife for that.

I suppose it could yield a bit better aero though, but not sure. But like I said, more power to ya, and I do give you credit for trying it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm not shooting your plans down. More power to ya. And I'll subscribe, see how it comes out and keep my opinions to myself, after this. But I don't see the point in doing this ... unless you live on the North Pole, with a 14L Cummins with like 10 gallons of coolant.

Because, warming up quickly is what the thermostat is for. I can't imagine such a tiny cooling system warming up much faster even with a grill block. But I admit, I could be wrong. I don't know everything, I have a wife for that.

I suppose it could yield a bit better aero though, but not sure. But like I said, more power to ya, and I do give you credit for trying it.
    I just took this on the North Pole a couple mins ago
    Attachment 24376

My car usually heats up quick enough for me. I've been using the heated seats for a few weeks now. But when it's -30C/-22f or colder getting the car warmer quicker would be handy. Especially with the scary cvt.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-02-2022 at 09:55 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Because, warming up quickly is what the thermostat is for.

I suppose it could yield a bit better aero though.
    FWIW, there's been a few to several post about grill blocks already.

In general though, even in my introductory post you can read about how I always bring my car to operating temperature before driving it. I even idle it for a minute or so after I'm done driving so that the remaining oil in the head falls back down to its pan.
    Yet, I digress
    But you're right about it being gimmicky especially if it looks like its held together with chewing gum.

Now then, by thermostat do you mean that if I start the car and adjust the climate controls to blow "hot" air; that the unheated cool air exhausted into the cab would heat the motor more quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Looks like last years winter in Salt Lake City

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookaughs View Post
    by thermostat do you mean that if I start the car and adjust the climate controls to blow "hot" air; that the unheated cool air exhausted into the cab would heat the motor more quickly?
    No, the thermostat 7miles is talking about is the one that controls the operating temperature of the engine. It prevents coolant from circulating thru the rad until the engine reaches a specified temperature...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (11-03-2022)

No that’s the North Pole
    See Attachment 24377

Wait, you idle your car so the oil will drain back into the pan? You lost me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ... I always bring my car to operating temperature before driving it.
    If you do that, a grill block will do you close to zero good as far as warming up the engine goes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wait, you idle your car so the oil will drain back into the pan?
    Yes, I read it a new vehicle owners manual, and think it makes sense to not gunk up any systems in the upper engine block/head. Especially if it's been some time since the oil has been changed

grill block will do you close to zero good as far as warming up the engine goes.
    I have several sheets of foil lined and unlined butyl sheets from a sound dampening project when I first got the car, and foil does reflect most heat so I would definitely be able to heat the frontal area of the motor or perhaps line the inside of the hood with it. Any motor insulation experts advise?
    Last edited by Dookaughs; 11-03-2022 at 11:41 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, I read it a new vehicle owners manual, and think it makes sense to not gunk up any systems in the upper engine block/head. Especially if it's been some time since the oil has been changed
    Could you post that up in here? I'm not doubting you, I just wonder what OEM would publish that in an owner's manual. When I consider what you're talking about doing, letting the oil drain, I try to visualize it. I have to assume that the Mirage engine uses a mechanically driven pump to get oil up on top of the engine. And from that point on, the oil is slung around by really fast moving valve train components, until it finds its way back into the crankcase, and perhaps gets slung around a bit more in and around the crankshaft. I'm not an expert on that at all. So that's my imagination. When it comes to driving then coming to a stop, perhaps a bit more oil collects in the sump than when running along at road speed. I've never thought about it like this. But if it is a mechanical pump, I would imagine that slowing down to idle speed, thusly slowing the pump, a percentage more oil will work down. So, just to throw around guesstimates. Maybe while running down the road, 70% of the oil is being slung around and 30% is in the sump, waiting to be slung around again. At idle, it may go to something like 50-50. But in any event, I don't see that as something worth idling over.

grill block will do you close to zero good as far as warming up the engine goes.
    You edited my point out of that. If you crank up and bring your engine coolant up to operating temp before driving away, at that point, what good does the grill block do? Really none. Even if you were driving in the arctic zone, the thermostat will control the coolant temps. A thermostat doesn't just open, it closes too. Say you're up to operating temps, then start driving and the cold air cools the coolant WAY down. When that cold slug of coolant reaches the thermostat, the thermostat will close or restrict coolant flow from the radiator to the engine and recirculate the coolant in the engine block longer so as to bring those temps up. At which point that hot temp causes the thermostat to open or open more and cooler coolant then enters the engine area.

Don't let my points stop you from doing this. I'm belching out what I think. It doesn't mean I'm right. And, you may do this and find other advantages. So, continue on. I applaud your effort. When you do, let us know what you observe.

Oh, and I think you should check the forums and read about the block heater. I think if you installed and used it, you'd probably be tickled with its effectiveness. I have a Cummins 5.9L in a pickup truck. It has a built-in block heater. It doesn't get too cold in Hotlanta. But if it ever gets below freezing and I know I'm going to want to drive that truck early the next morning, and I run the block heater for 2+ hours before cranking, oh man, what a difference. The truck cranks up like it's summertime. And the coolant gauge starts climbing so much sooner. It's fantastic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is the grill of my 2018 SE CVT. The horn is located there in the upper left, and so I will not block that area. However, out of the four rows the bottom most row appears to not have a direct line of site from the radiator. Thusly, installing a foil-backed butyl grill block along the bottom most row could help to restrict air from flowing directly beneath the car, as well as allowing the motor to warm up quicker.
    Name:  100_0043.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  96.2 KB

Last edited by Dookaughs; 11-05-2022 at 05:46 PM.