Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eliminate the gangsta lean?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Eliminate the gangsta lean?

The car is great and has better grip with the 15s, but is there a way to eliminate the side to side shift when turning or at high speed ? Anyone has experience with HR springs or sway bars?

mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nothing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hate to sound like the cranky old forum guy, but there are dozens of threads about this if you search.

But yes, all of the above work wonders on these flimsy floppy little cars. All of the UR bars work, stiffer springs or coilovers make a huge difference. All positives.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    Nothing?
    Like Basic said, I would search for a topic like that on the forum.

I liked having a rear sway bar, but I haven't replaced mine when the 2nd one broke. Some may have better luck with the Ultra Racing sway bar, but it's been some time since anyone has said anything.

Personally, I'm not a fan of electric power steering, but I've learned to live with it. I think a small car like a Mirage would handle better without power steering.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Plenty of related threads here, use the search function and you shall find...
    In short, with sway bars there is the real concern they can break. Nothing much convincing on the market. Besides, the rear axle body is so weak, that the forces coming from a sway bay might cause cracks, breakages or deformations there, so the genuine concern.
    If you want it to sway less, you might want to look at a set of Eibach rear springs. That makes a big difference, see threads.
    Remember, these cars are all about economy and for saving fuel, not for going fast or racing or anything. If I wanted a racer, I would have gone to a shrink or just bought something else.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Peeps. I know what the cars are about. I just did not find info that’s fresh and some things were stale. The info about sway bars being broken did not show up. So mainly I should go with springs for best balance. Also, now sure what kind of steering asist has anything to do with handling.

I'd probably try springs myself first. A possibly cheaper, quicker thing to try might be airbags in the rear springs. There are lots of posts about that.
    You could get a rear sway bar. There are numerous posts about the two more popular bars breaking. I'm lazy too and aren't gonna look for them. If there was one that didn't break I'd give it a try. I briefly was going to try to make a front Mirage bar fit the rear but didn't bother.
    Mirage power steering=Chit handling,no feedback. It's what the cars are about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Broken sway bars here:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...way-bar-broke)
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post139734

Airlift bags here:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post46590

Springs:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...wering-springs

Worth mentioning, last night I installed some firestone bags in my minivan and on the drive into the city today it seemed to sway far less. Less squat when leaving from a stop too. That's with 15psi in them. The rear springs are pretty sagged out though so they really should be replaced but for now the bags seem to do what I want them to.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-13-2023 at 03:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-13-2023),mohammad (11-05-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I did install a front strut bar and a rear sway bar from UltraRacing. The rear sway bar does wonders to our little cars, much less leaning over when speeding through corners. Also the car handles more neutral instead of understeering. Lowering springs are an option too. But i figured I wouldnt want to compromise on comfort, thats why Im still on stock springs and dampeners.