Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear L400 (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Mitsubishi
    Delica Space Gear L400
    Black
    4spd automagic

4x4

•  
    Details

Has some weird bmw looking grille from a Taiwan market 2005 Delica

•  

Stock

•  
    Comments: 141 / Views: 66432
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Did you kill-beers?
    Yessss. All of them. Worked out well, I didn't have to resort to gas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I guess I didn't update this thread lately. About a week ago the transmission started acting up. I backed out of the driveway, drove down the street and it acted like it was low on fluid. It basically coasted for a block til I got to a stop sign, when I went to drive away it moved enough to block the intersection so that was cool. It just acted like it was low on fluid. I shifted to neutral then back to drive and managed to get it turned around and back home. While it was acting up(basically the entire 3 block trip) the shift indicator was flashing. I checked for codes the next day and came up with a code 41.

Code: 41 OBDII: P0731- 1st Gear Incorrect Ratio

Possible causes: Mechanical Solenoid Failure
    Low Line Pressure
    Low Fluid Level
    Sealing Ring Failure
    Piston Seal Failure
    Valve Body Malfunction

I got the above from a link in this useful thread with still active links https://www.delicaclub.com/viewtopic...f1a3c701986ba8

It would shift hard into drive and reverse. I ended up clearing the trouble code and the hard/banging into drive and reverse went away and it acted normally but still would loose drive after a few seconds of driving. If you sat stationary in drive it would stay engaged.

Last night I was playing with a "hold" button on the dash. I believe it makes the transmission start out in 2nd gear, but I read that on a delica forum so...yeah. When I flick the hold button on a "hold" light on the cluster lights up, when I turn the switch off a weird buzzing can be heard for a 2-3 seconds inside the transmission. I recall hearing the same noise when shifting to park now and then for the past month or so at random, I assumed it was the shift solenoid on the front diff but it's vacuum actuated...

So now I'm hoping I just have a bad low/reverse solenoid. Will have to wait another day or two til I can check it out further. I don't think I can do any tests with my scanner but maybe I can try to pretend it's a montero?
    Here's hoping it's just a $50 solenoid and this thing is back on the road.

I found a few used transmissions but they want $2800-3000 for one with 20,000km less than the one I have...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Code: 41 OBDII: P0731- 1st Gear Incorrect Ratio

Possible causes: Mechanical Solenoid Failure
    Low Line Pressure
    Low Fluid Level
    Sealing Ring Failure
    Piston Seal Failure
    Valve Body Malfunction
    Other possible causes are: 1st gear changed its ratio, and now it's wrong.
    Someone opened up your transmission and changed the ratio of 1st gear, and now it's wrong.
    1st gear has decided that it wants to identify as a different gear, and now it doesn't like being dead-geared.
    You drove the vehicle, and doing so has lead to this problem (hint: Never drive it, or problems).
    It has always been the wrong ratio, it's just now getting around to letting you know.
    I'm sure there are other legitimate possibilities as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Other possible causes are: 1st gear changed its ratio, and now it's wrong.
    Someone opened up your transmission and changed the ratio of 1st gear, and now it's wrong.
    1st gear has decided that it wants to identify as a different gear, and now it doesn't like being dead-geared.
    You drove the vehicle, and doing so has lead to this problem (hint: Never drive it, or problems).
    It has always been the wrong ratio, it's just now getting around to letting you know.
    I'm sure there are other legitimate possibilities as well.

I tried this turd out again last night. I'm able to monitor shift solenoid data. Found out the Hold button makes the transmission start out in second gear when the selector is in drive. It also takes longer to upshift this way.
    So I pulled onto the street and put it in drive, moved 10 ft then it just reved up...Hit the hold button and it drove. I came to stop sign and left the hold button on and it drove alright taking off in second. I went a few blocks like this to a less busy area and pulled over a few times and took off like normal with the hold in the normal position. It kept starting out fine but after a few feet just gave up and revved out like it's in neutral. Hitting the hold button didn't do much. It eventually stopped starting out in second and got stuck in 3rd gear. I gave up and drove it home like that.

I'll probably pull the pan in the next day or two, pull the valve body, clean it up and try again. I think all the solenoids are working properly. They all make the same buzzing noise for a second or two so I think that what I was hearing is normal. I found a way to pressure test the solenoids so I guess I'll give that a go before parking it on the train tracks.

I really don't want to have to replace the transmission. They look like a major pita like most import 4x4 transmissions. I'd have to do it on the ground cause my lift would be useless.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins - You really are a genius. I've mentioned a few times about letting a car roll off a cliff. To get rid of it in a creative way. But, I know of no cliffs around here that are substantial enough to illicit the kind of drama and damage worth bothering with. And if I could find one, there'd be a guard rail making it impossible to roll off. Think the last 2 minutes of the movie Duel.

However, your idea to "leave it on the tracks." Now that is something very feasible. That would take care of disposal. Wipe down the fingerprints, remove all vin information, and "leave it on the tracks." Viola. Disposal complete. You're a genius!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Fummins - You really are a genius. I've mentioned a few times about letting a car roll off a cliff. To get rid of it in a creative way. But, I know of no cliffs around here that are substantial enough to illicit the kind of drama and damage worth bothering with. And if I could find one, there'd be a guard rail making it impossible to roll off. Think the last 2 minutes of the movie Duel.

However, your idea to "leave it on the tracks." Now that is something very feasible. That would take care of disposal. Wipe down the fingerprints, remove all vin information, and "leave it on the tracks." Viola. Disposal complete. You're a genius!
    Or could haul it up to Alaska where they have a nice big cliff used for launching cars off. 1:37

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is pretty friggin awesome!

If I don't tear the pan off this weekend I might end up calling around and just have a transmission shop take a look and get me a quote.

I'd hate to sell the thing at a loss with a possibly junk transmission, but I don't want to dump $3000 into it to make it worth $0 more than it was a month ago. Well, at least I got one good trip out of it lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Would a slipping belt cause those symptoms? I'm not very familiar with automatic transmissions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)